Axe-Fx III Firmware 10.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back during the Axe-FX standard days where emphasis seemed to be on models that were improved designs of their real life counterparts. Now we have models that are so close to real life that people think their inherent flaws are bugs in the modeling and people end up preferring the idealized versions.

Is the focus at this point just on accuracy, "warts and all", or are there still instances where you prefer the models to be better than what's possible in real life? Do you reserve perfection for the FAS models? I think this kind of thing could make a REALLY great tech notes article.
Accuracy, warts and all. Otherwise people compare against the real amp and say "it doesn't sound the same". The FAS models are idealized and have some of the "design flaws" removed or reduced.

I remember back during the Axe-FX standard days where emphasis seemed to be on models that were improved designs of their real life counterparts. Now we have models that are so close to real life that people think their inherent flaws are bugs in the modeling and people end up preferring the idealized versions.

Is the focus at this point just on accuracy, "warts and all", or are there still instances where you prefer the models to be better than what's possible in real life? Do you reserve perfection for the FAS models? I think this kind of thing could make a REALLY great tech notes article.

I feel like definitely there could be FAS models for this. Rather, more like having a FAS switch on the amp to toggle on/off the capability so there is not a huge increase in AMP models. Plus you'd be able to A/B them easily.

I feel like definitely there could be FAS models for this. Rather, more like having a FAS switch on the amp to toggle on/off the capability so there is not a huge increase in AMP models. Plus you'd be able to A/B them easily.

Either that or a stickied post somewhere that talks about general tweaks you can do to amp models to make them better than the real thing. Cliff posts about these kinds of things every so often but I think it would be cool to have all of that info in one place. With having the info out there, people can tweak just the amps they like and leave everything else as is. No idea if implementing an "ideal" mode for all amps would take up tons of resources/memory on the unit but it sounds like a lot of man hours to benefit such a niche group of people.

Either that or a stickied post somewhere that talks about general tweaks you can do to amp models to make them better than the real thing. Cliff posts about these kinds of things every so often but I think it would be cool to have all of that info in one place. With having the info out there, people can tweak just the amps they like and leave everything else as is. No idea if implementing an "ideal" mode for all amps would take up tons of resources/memory on the unit but it sounds like a lot of man hours to benefit such a niche group of people.

THIS!!!

Cliff's tips are gold, like the recent AC-20 one adressing the ghost notes. Having all of those AMP-specific posts in one sticky thread would be absolutely useful, invaluable information.

THIS!!!

Cliff's tips are gold, like the recent AC-20 one adressing the ghost notes. Having all of those AMP-specific posts in one sticky thread would be absolutely useful, invaluable information.

I messaged Yek about this and he reminded me that he usually keeps all this stuff in the wiki., often times on the seconds for induvidual amps. So I guess the rule of thumb should be if you have a favorite amp, look it up on the wiki and see if there's any info about tweaking/improving it.

I've added a Tech Note about the Trainwreck Express tweaks.

I should make a recording of the real amp vs. the model with and without the tweaks. The real amp is a nasty thing. Very spitty as one would expect given the lack of a grid stopper resistor between the last triode stage and the PI.

Accuracy, warts and all. Otherwise people compare against the real amp and say "it doesn't sound the same". The FAS models are idealized and have some of the "design flaws" removed or reduced.

Maybe it goes without saying but please never change this! One of the most incredible things about the Axe-Fx is the fact that it gives you all the idiosyncracies that come with a variety of amps made by manufacturers all across the globe, inside one box. As a full time guitarist and producer, I want access to all the imperfections that comes with various amps as I think it lends to bigger sounding mixes and more distinct character in recordings!

Always nice to have the FAS models too for a more "perfect" solution.

Sounds fantastic. Really curious how it works out in the rehearse today.

I wonder why power amp hardness got reset to 5.0. I tried different values and returned everywhere to my old values wich were always off factory defaults.
It seems I prefer higher values for riffing and mediocre values for cleans and soloing.

Just lost an hour of my life on a clean BF Princeton sound - for the first time in my Fractal life I reverted away from the first beta, just didn't get on with it at all.

This one nails it, definitely more 'in the room', more responsive in the top end etc.etc. very impressed

And the Trainwreck tweaks are killer! thanks

The future of the Axe-Fx is not only to come always closer to the sound of real (tube-)amps. Pretty soon it will be "just create a new fantastic guitar sound" - without necessarily following an example ....

I need to look back into the FAS models then! Never gave them much of a go. For me I need Fender Clean, Vox Grit and Hot Rod Marshall Crunch.

the last stage is biased really cold. I think he did this to reduce the blocking distortion of the phase inverter

It's a simple clipping circuit, copied from the Marshall 2203/2204. It's biased super cold, so the positive swing amplifies (although the AF is pretty low), but the negative swing drives into cutoff - the effect is not unlike a single-stage diode clipper.

The Bludo Clean with all parameters somewhere around 7ish (dial in to your taste) and the CC Boost just cracked open, (more used for a low cut) some magic in there.. especially when tweaking all the new parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom