Axe-Fx III Firmware 10.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each of these advances usually spawns another advance. The work I did on the power amp modeling actually gave me an idea on how to improve the Drive modeling. I'm coding it now. If my suspicions are correct it will improve the accuracy and lower the CPU usage.
Didn’t you already do that?

So I’ve been Fractalized since 2012. Been through more firmware updates than I can remember, new sounds, new tactile feeling when playing, new everything.

I can say unequivocally this is indeed the best sound I’ve gotten. I mentioned earlier that the combination of the gain enhancement parameter in conjunction with this beta FW has reset the bar.

Strats through Fenders, Les Pauls thru Marshall’s, PRS thru Mesa’s (FYI - the JP-2C Mark IIC+ is beyond outstanding).

I am beyond thrilled and I thank you, Cliff !

Measure the voltage swing in both types of amp. It's pretty much identical. In the Marshall, it's got a single triode stage in front of it; in the TW/Komet, it's got two, but it's also got the tone stack, which drops a fair amount of signal. IOW, it's getting hit pretty much the same in both.

Further, if it was done for the reason you give, there would be no reason for it to exist in the Komet Concorde (since it precedes a cathode follower). But it does. And switching it out (I built a clone years ago, in fact you may recall that I supplied you with the schematics for the K60 and Concorde) noticeably reduces the clipping at any given volume.

And all triodes aren't automatically 'clipping' circuits in the same sense - these are designed to clip asymmetrically with relatively little input signal. Biased to the midpoint, you'd have to hit it much harder to get any clipping at all.

There are multiple reasons to use it. In a JCM800, SLO100, Recto, etc. it's a "cold-clipping" stage and creates very asymmetric clipping. Perhaps Ken F. just used it for the asymmetry but I guarantee if you build that amp and use a 1K instead of 10K the amp will be unusable due to excessive blocking distortion. Even with 10K the blocking distortion is off the charts. Note the default value in the Axe-Fx is near maximum!

The classic use of a cold-clipping stage is to put it before a cathode follower because the cathode follower will then clip the other side balancing out the clipping restoring the symmetry. Again, you have to look at triode stages in the context of the surrounding circuitry and subsequent stages. They don't exist in isolation. That's the whole problem with the Trainwreck Express design. That last-stage overdrives the snot out of the PI causing excessive blocking distortion.

There are multiple reasons to use it. In a JCM800, SLO100, Recto, etc. it's a "cold-clipping" stage and creates very asymmetric clipping. Perhaps Ken F. just used it for the asymmetry but I guarantee if you build that amp and use a 1K instead of 10K the amp will be unusable due to excessive blocking distortion. Even with 10K the blocking distortion is off the charts. Note the default value in the Axe-Fx is near maximum!

The classic use of a cold-clipping stage is to put it before a cathode follower because the cathode follower will then clip the other side balancing out the clipping restoring the symmetry. Again, you have to look at triode stages in the context of the surrounding circuitry and subsequent stages. They don't exist in isolation. That's the whole problem with the Trainwreck Express design. That last-stage overdrives the snot out of the PI causing excessive blocking distortion.
I don’t use the wrecker model much but I do frequent the Komet because I’m a total junkie for anything Trey does. A lot of what you’re describing about the Wrecker I’ve found present in the Komet as well — is it biased on the cold side as well?

Each of these advances usually spawns another advance. The work I did on the power amp modeling actually gave me an idea on how to improve the Drive modeling. I'm coding it now. If my suspicions are correct it will improve the accuracy and lower the CPU usage.
Dude you're an amazing freak of nature, love it! The Steve Jobs of guitar processors. Keep going...

Perhaps Ken F. just used it for the asymmetry but I guarantee if you build that amp and use a 1K instead of 10K the amp will be unusable due to excessive blocking distortion. Even with 10K the blocking distortion is off the charts. Note the default value in the Axe-Fx is near maximum!

Trainwrecks are so near exploding it's a miracle how well your models came out. I hope you can do more variations someday, provided you could find people willing to share their wrecks. Works of art imo. :D

Looks like it’s going to be a wonderful week of exploration.
Thanks so much Cliff!!!

I burned about 2 hours on an AC-30 rig this evening...WOW, just wow :blush:
Can’t wait to try more. Might have to review quite a few presets.

Pull on every thread. You really should consider writing a book about your process and how you developed it.

I feel a FW11 coming on, does that mean that soon even the Axe FX III will go to eleven? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom