Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this was asked.. couldn't find it in the II FAQ.. but then it's partly an MFC question.

Do we still need a midi interface to update firmware on the MFC-101? Or can this be done via your USB-attached Axe-Fx II, which in turn connects to the MFC with MIDI or the RJ45 port?

This is suddenly important to me, because 1). I sold my midisport along with my Ultra, and 2). MFC needs new firmware to use with Axe II.

+1

Sorry if this was asked.. couldn't find it in the II FAQ.. but then it's partly an MFC question.

Do we still need a midi interface to update firmware on the MFC-101? Or can this be done via your USB-attached Axe-Fx II, which in turn connects to the MFC with MIDI or the RJ45 port?

This is suddenly important to me, because 1). I sold my midisport along with my Ultra, and 2). MFC needs new firmware to use with Axe II.

I believe Cliff did state somewhere that he thought this should work.

Is there an x/y mode for the gate block? I'd love to be able to have a loose gate setting for general stuff and a super tight gate mode when I need uber precision.

So right now, I've got an audio interface going to my monitors via balanced TRS cables, while the Axe II's balanced outputs are XLR only. As the Axe II will be replacing that interface, if I take the Axe II's 1/4" unbalanced output to my balanced TRS inputs on my monitors, will I be okay, or should I just cave and buy nice new XLR cables? Or buy XLR/TRS adapters for my TRS cables (and if so, is that XLR male or female to TRS female)?

You're not likely to notice any difference going from balanced to unbalanced, except for a few dB drop in level that you can compensate for with the level knob.

Hi Cliff, is there any improvement on the synth block !? A polyphone synth would be cool !! Pls don't tell,its not possible without a hexaphonic pick-up,it has be done already.......

I'm not aware of any device with polyphonic synth ability at this time. Melodyne can do some non-realtime processing of chords, but that's the most advanced tech I know of. If there was a synth, processor, midi converter, or anything of that ilk on the market, I'd be all over it. Please share if I'm missing something.

Hi Cliff, is there any improvement on the synth block !? A polyphone synth would be cool !! Pls don't tell,its not possible without a hexaphonic pick-up,it has be done already.......
As a member of another different development community, I can say that stating something like 'Dont tell me that you can't do it..' or 'It's just a few lines of code' or 'such and such company can do it, why can't you?' Isn't the best say to convey your message and usually gets you ignored by devs.

nateb speaks the truth. Additionally, while it may have been done already, you don't know what it took to get it done.

Off the top of my head, it could be work by separating out the signals from each string and running them through their own synth blocks. However, according to Axe-Edit, a synth block takes up 14% of an Ultra, so even ignoring the DSP cost of splitting out each string (which would very likely be high), you'd be using 84% of your DSP on one effect block. There wouldn't even be enough DSP left for delay and verb blocks. Or perhaps it took three developers working full-time on it for five years to come up with the algorithm (which is naturally now patented) and FA simply can't justify devoting the resources to it right now.

You're right in that it would be cool, though. :D

As to your question of whether not there have been any improvements to the synth block, I don't know. Hopefully someone who does will come along and answer you though. I'm a bit curious myself.

Hi,

The only non-hexaphonic polyphonic device working detecting pitch that I'm aware of is the T-Rex Octavius pedal.

Cheers,

Mats N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom