Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use the MIDI iN/OUT connected to the Axe II (USB to Computer) to do software updates on my Ultra or do I need a separate MIDI Interface?

nateb speaks the truth. Additionally, while it may have been done already, you don't know what it took to get it done.

Off the top of my head, it could be work by separating out the signals from each string and running them through their own synth blocks. However, according to Axe-Edit, a synth block takes up 14% of an Ultra, so even ignoring the DSP cost of splitting out each string (which would very likely be high), you'd be using 84% of your DSP on one effect block. There wouldn't even be enough DSP left for delay and verb blocks. Or perhaps it took three developers working full-time on it for five years to come up with the algorithm (which is naturally now patented) and FA simply can't justify devoting the resources to it right now.

You're right in that it would be cool, though. :D

As to your question of whether not there have been any improvements to the synth block, I don't know. Hopefully someone who does will come along and answer you though. I'm a bit curious myself.

thanx 4 ur thoughts,
i was thinking more about the pitch-shifter,auto-tune block,it can recognize single pitches,right ? so why not assigning sounds to it !?

The USB is Audio Class 2.0 compliant. On a Mac you don't need to install any drivers but you do need to install the firmware loader for the USB chip (it is a "soft" processor and downloads its code from the host on start-up). On a PC you also have to install the Audio Class 2.0 drivers. The driver supports ASIO, SRC, etc. etc.

Where can these pc drivers be sourced from? (Eventually) aAvailable for download in the support section of the FAS website / install cd-dvd / other ?) Or am I missing the point completely?
Just trying to prepair for the Axe's arrival.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As a member of another different development community, I can say that stating something like 'Dont tell me that you can't do it..' or 'It's just a few lines of code' or 'such and such company can do it, why can't you?' Isn't the best say to convey your message and usually gets you ignored by devs.

thanx so much for your advise, the backround of my question (actually more a wish than a question..) was,that i had a chat already with the Axe distributer g66 in europe about it,and they say its only possible with a
hexaphonic pick-up and that would be a completely different system.....,and i think it is possible without ,especially with that horse-power of the Axe-II !!!
..and i would appreciate if Cliff or anybody of his team could think about it,........thats all (i didn't write its easy to do or any company can do it better or somethin' like that ,ok !!! :roll )

whats the difference ?
One is working with harmonic overtones and dividing them and doesn't really need to know what the pitch is. It has no idea if the pitch is an Ab or a G. A synth does not take a signal an alter it. It generates its own signal and alters it with information given (like pitch and envelope but not necessarily). If it is going to play a note based on pitch, it need to know which pitch exactly to generate.

BTW autotune (as w/ all the pitch blocks) are essentially monophonic (there is the poly local mode but for the application you are describing it still wouldn't be true polyphony). autotune also has been removed from the II.

Last edited:
...i had a chat already with the Axe distributer g66 in europe about it,and they say its only possible with a hexaphonic pick-up and that would be a completely different system.....,and i think it is possible without...
How?

That's not polyphonic. It'll only track the strongest fundamental in the input.

Hmmm, while that may be true I do get a polyphonic output, i.e. if I play 6 strings the Octavius will give me octaves for all these 6 notes/pitches. To me that is polyphonic but maybe I have a definition disorder. :)

I would appreciate if you could explain to me how in what way I'm wrong assuming this is polyphonic. I don't like not knowing these things.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hmmm, while that may be true I do get a polyphonic output, i.e. if I play 6 strings the Octavius will give me octaves for all these 6 notes/pitches. To me that is polyphonic but maybe I have a definition disorder. :)

I would appreciate if you could explain to me how in what way I'm wrong assuming this is polyphonic. I don't like not knowing these things.
The Octavius does polyphonic pitch shifting, not polyphonic synthesis. They're different beasts.

Pitch shifting is performed by processing an incoming signal (for example, slicing the signal timewise, changing the speed of the slices, and then resampling at a different frequency). Synthesis is performed by detecting the pitch of an incoming signal and using that information to generate sound on its own. The only part of the incoming sound that's used is its pitch; it doesn't sound anything like the source signal.

I don't know of any device that can do polyphonic synthesis accurately and reliably without a polyphonic input such as a hexaphonic pickup. I'd love to be proven wrong. If you know of a device that can do it, please post it here. But the Octavius ain't it. The Axe-FX can already do everything in the Octavius' arsenal.

The Octavius does polyphonic pitch shifting, not polyphonic synthesis. They're different beasts.

Pitch shifting is performed by processing an incoming signal (for example, slicing the signal timewise, changing the speed of the slices, and then resampling at a different frequency). Synthesis is performed by detecting the pitch of an incoming signal and using that information to generate sound on its own. The only part of the incoming sound that's used is its pitch; it doesn't sound anything like the source signal.

I don't know of any device that can do polyphonic synthesis accurately and reliably without a polyphonic input such as a hexaphonic pickup. I'd love to be proven wrong. If you know of a device that can do it, please post it here. But the Octavius ain't it. The Axe-FX can already do everything in the Octavius' arsenal.

but thats exactly what i mean:
why cannot a pitch shifter incoming signal detected or better assigned by a synthesis ???

...why cannot a pitch shifter incoming signal detected or better assigned by a synthesis ???
To shift a pitch one octave up, all you need to do is double the frequency of the input waveform, no matter how complex that wafevorm is — make every event in the waveform take exactly half as long to happen. You don't need to know the frequencies of the individual notes because you're just manipulating the waveform. But if you're doing synthesis, you have to know the frequencies of the individual notes. In other words, polyphonic synthesis requires polyphonic pitch detection; polyphonic pitch shifting does not have that requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom