Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case there is some confusion in the language, you can shift a polyphonic signal by a fixed amount. You can not shift the individual notes in a polyphonic signal by different amounts, at least with the current technology. This is because the technology to break the combination sound down into its respective notes in realtime isn't available yet (at least that I know about / on a commercial level).

That isn't to say it's impossible. It's just very tricky to do, especially if you don't know what type of signal is coming into the processor. (You have to account for the overtone series from one note influencing the loudness of other peaks in the frequency spectrum, to figure out what is the same note versus a second note. It gets even harder with a distorted signal, if you want to ignore things like intermodular distortion.)

In case there is some confusion in the language, you can shift a polyphonic signal by a fixed amount. You can not shift the individual notes in a polyphonic signal by different amounts, at least with the current technology...
Well put.

I have what may be a dumb technical question. But, with regard to the Axe Fx II G2 Technology, how can the measurements to the numerous input and output variables in the actual pre and power amp section be created with a very rare amp like EVH's Brown? The manual says a "faithful recreation", so does that mean a plexi was modeled and then engineered/tweeked to obtain a Brown sound? Or something like that?

BTW, the price of the Axe Fx II is worth it for presents like plexi, brown, and buttery alone. I have a smile from hear to hear every time I turn it on and play!

Cheers,
Alan

[
Originally Posted by scarr
In case there is some confusion in the language, you can shift a polyphonic signal by a fixed amount. You can not shift the individual notes in a polyphonic signal by different amounts, at least with the current technology...

I'll add to that: in real time. Melodyne does this with recorded material. It just isn't perfect and it can't do it in real time. Maybe one day. In the mean time, this is something I'll be using that very helpful 3rd channel of dry signal on the USB for. Record the dry and wet. If it's a good performance with a couple unacceptable warts, tuning or bum notes, just retune or repitch those couple notes then reamp. Awesome stuff. Can't wait for the II to get to Oz.

Last edited:
My next sentence was, "This is because the technology to break the combination sound down into its respective notes in realtime isn't available yet." ;)

My next sentence was, "This is because the technology to break the combination sound down into its respective notes in realtime isn't available yet." ;)

My apologies. Replied to the post quoting you without moving up an checking your original post. My bad.... Carry on..

...with regard to the Axe Fx II G2 Technology, how can the measurements to the numerous input and output variables in the actual pre and power amp section be created with a very rare amp like EVH's Brown? The manual says a "faithful recreation", so does that mean a plexi was modeled and then engineered/tweeked to obtain a Brown sound? Or something like that?
Cliff has stated that he needs a schematic for any amp he's modelling. In the case of a modded amp, it's possible that all he needs is the stock schematic, along with knowledge of what mods were made. In some cases (e.g., one of the Dumble models) he had access to the physical amp itself.

Dig into the deeper parameters of the amp model. You can make your own mods to things like output transformer response, tube bias, "bright" capacitor and more.

Just a quick question: With all the new G2 modelling and so on, is it possible to achieve via any new parameters the effect of a variac? Since G2 modelling is so detailed and all, it would be really interesting to implement such a feature if it doesn't exist already...

Just a quick question: With all the new G2 modelling and so on, is it possible to achieve via any new parameters the effect of a variac? Since G2 modelling is so detailed and all, it would be really interesting to implement such a feature if it doesn't exist already...
Like a virtual voltage control?
Why?

Can the MFC be connected to the Axe II via cat 5 and still control other midi gear simotaniously thru the midi connections?? sorry if this has already been asked. ?

Can the MFC be connected to the Axe II via cat 5 and still control other midi gear simotaniously thru the midi connections?? sorry if this has already been asked. ?

Yes - I have the MFC hooked up via Cat5 to Axe2, set Axe 2 to pass midi thru and have a midi cable to the midi in of my Standard. I have a Radial Bigshot ABY pedal to switch between the Standard and 2 to do preset comparisons. Since many of the presets in Bank B in both units are the same (or at least named the same), it's easy to step through them and hear any differences.

Hi guys, I have a few technical questions. Thanks for your advice!

1) I Am Experiencing Very Little Dynamic Range:
With no dynamics in my grid (compressors, gates, limiters etc), playing at the very softest levels (barely touching the strings) with green input lights is only a little softer in volume than banging my strings and strumming hard with orange input lights (headphones or rear outputs). I know my real amp doesn't react this way. Is there something that's limiting the dynamic range or is this the Axe Fx II's inherent DR? Does this have something to do with the inputs being normalized for unity gain? This occurs even with the Master volume high for increased touch sensitivity. I know the 24 bit ADC's are capable of 144 dB's DR but I'm not getting anywhere near that having tried 3 guitars and several presets.

2) Are There No User Preset Locations To Save To?
If I don't want to over-write any of Cliff's well-created 384 factory presets, are there any User preset locations I can save edited presets to? If so, I can't find them.

3) Some of The Presets Are Very Bassy At Low Drive (eg Plexi Normal)
With no EQs in the grid and the bass turned all the way down, some presets still sound very bassy, especially at low drive settings. One that really sounds this way is the normal Plexi preset. Shouldn't the treble peaker Drive control attenuate this? The Marshall Leads I've heard don't sound this way. Is this normal for the Axe Fx II?

Thanks again for your advice!

I know the 24 bit ADC's are capable of 144 dB's DR but I'm not getting anywhere near that having tried 3 guitars and several presets.

This is nitpicking if ever there was an example of such a thing, but the 144 dB figure is purely theoretical. There is no converter on the market today capable of more than a true 130 dB dynamic range.

But, this is a quibble, and is clearly not the root of your issue. No idea how to answer for that.

I'm only suggesting this because I've spent the last three days doing this...

Have you read the manual?

;)

If so...

Check your Input Level (Input page of the I/O Menu)

Check your Input Trim Level (Advanced Amp Parameters)

This is nitpicking if ever there was an example of such a thing, but the 144 dB figure is purely theoretical. There is no converter on the market today capable of more than a true 130 dB dynamic range.

But, this is a quibble, and is clearly not the root of your issue. No idea how to answer for that.

I'm not meaning to quibble, but I'm probably only getting 10 dB's of DR between softest and loudest playing.

I'm only suggesting this because I've spent the last three days doing this...

Have you read the manual?

;)

If so...

Check your Input Level (Input page of the I/O Menu)

Check your Input Trim Level (Advanced Amp Parameters)

Yup, read the manual set the input level to mainly yellow lights, barely tickling the red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom