Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you set the "quick controls" globally? For example, have the first knob always control the gain of any amp, the second the bass, the third the mids and the last the highs?

No, doesn't work that way. What you would do is assign 'X' to Amp 1. Then press X and you'll immediately jump to the Amp 1 edit page.

He's talking about the Four Knobs under the X & Y...

MFC has dual color LED's - plus 'off'.
Don't LEDS have the capability to show as numerous colors based upon the voltage they receive? I may be confusing LED with something else but if not it would be cool to add Amber to the color choices for something like this so you can maintain the LED-off for status-off...
Even if it is possible with LED's maybe it can't be added by just software though and I don't think Fractal will want to make a tweak that requires a hardware upgrade to the MFC-101

Last edited:
Don't LEDS have the capability to show as numerous colors based upon the voltage they receive? I may be confusing LED with something else but if not it would be cool to add Amber to the color choices for something like this so you can maintain the LED-off for status-off...
Even if it is possible with LED's maybe it can't be added by just software though and I don't think Fractal will want to make a tweak that requires a hardware upgrade to the MFC-101

depends on the features available on the pin(s) they're connected to.
in any case, having both red and green on at the same time would still just be a simple on/off state for each color element in the LED (they are probably on separate pins), so I don't think the partially-on thing is even necessary to do it (assuming one color doesn't totally drown out the other anyway...).

Last edited:
Can you set the "quick controls" globally? For example, have the first knob always control the gain of any amp, the second the bass, the third the mids and the last the highs?
I didn't see that functionality when I was playing with it.

The current implementation is far more complex than that. The knobs reassign themselves on the fly as you page through parameters. It's really cool. Someone should put up a video of that. In short, the big knob works like it always has -- it operates whatever parameter is highlighted. Then, it doesn't matter which parameter the big knob is assigned to; the other four knobs automatically assign themselves to the remaining parameters on the screen from left to right. This happens super-fast, on-the-fly, and quickly becomes second nature for the user. Also all front knobs have a rubberized coating making them very easy to move.

It's faster than the editor because you're not mousing to knobs and then adjusting them, you just hit "page" and grab the knob you need. That fast, that simple. The editor has a bigger visual space and may be faster on the layout page, but it's now slower for doing fast edits of block parameters

Back to your question -- I can picture a global parameter for the four knobs that lets you toggle them from "edit mode" to "live mode". You switch to live mode at the gig and the knobs "stick" to the four parameters you tweak most while playing. At the studio you switch back to edit mode and they resume normal operation.

For instance, maybe at gigs you always end up tweaking master and gain in the amp, and output and gain in your main drive pedal. "Live mode" would provide instant-access to those parameters. Bad news is if you have to tweak anything else on the fly, you've painted yourself into a corner -- thus the option to switch quickly from live mode to edit mode.

Sorry for the OT ramble...

Last edited:
.... I can picture a global parameter for the four knobs that lets you toggle them from "edit mode" to "live mode". You switch to live mode at the gig and the knobs "stick" to the four parameters you tweak most while playing. At the studio you switch back to edit mode and they resume normal operation. ...

+100

Back to your question -- I can picture a global parameter for the four knobs that lets you toggle them from "edit mode" to "live mode". You switch to live mode at the gig and the knobs "stick" to the four parameters you tweak most while playing. At the studio you switch back to edit mode and they resume normal operation.

For instance, maybe at gigs you always end up tweaking master and gain in the amp, and output and gain in your main drive pedal. "Live mode" would provide instant-access to those parameters. Bad news is if you have to tweak anything else on the fly, you've painted yourself into a corner -- thus the option to switch quickly from live mode to edit mode.

Sorry for the OT ramble...

Oh, that's a great idea. Except instead of needing live vs studio mode, it could simply be that when only the patch selection is displayed, the knobs control some user defined defaults. when you press x or y or move in to edit the preset, they work as originally intended.

Question about if it possible to get a Fernandez
Sustainer type effect
I know cliff mentioned the ebow is an
Envelope filter by using this plus the hold
Delay and s pitch block to get the octave above
Is this possible

I/O Question

I would like to use the 4CM method plus have the option to intergrate other effects into the Axe II's effects loop (maybe some vintage OD pedals or a Boomerang Looper) plus to have the ability to switch the outputs on the Axe between a guitar amp head and an Atomic speaker outfit.

The idea is to be able to switch between the Axe with a guitar amp (using the Axe for time effects only) and the Axe with an Atomic (using all of the Axe's capabilities), all while having the ability to insert external effects into the Axe's effects loop. It will require some deft midi programming, but looking at the I/Os, I am scratching my head.

Possible?

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:
I would like to use the 4CM method plus have the option to intergrate other effects into the Axe II's effects loop (maybe some vintage OD pedals or a Boomerang Looper) plus to have the ability to switch the outputs on the Axe between a guitar amp head and an Atomic speaker outfit.

The idea is to be able to switch between the Axe with a guitar amp (using the Axe for time effects only) the Axe with an Atomic (using all of the Axe's capabilities), all while having the ability to insert external effects into the Axe's effects loop. It will require some deft midi programming, but looking at the I/Os, I am scratching my head.

Possible?

Regards,
Mark

To do all of that you need something like a Switchblade:
Sound Sculpture: The Switchblade Midi Controlled Guitar Switching System

Ofcourse it is easier to use an external interface, but it's a shame not to have an output channel, to reampling, can not do without external interface and so have all in one.
Those on tour and not have to carry cards to record ideas in a home studio you save the money for a good interface.
Eleven other devices such as HD POD Rack or do and are all-toy in comparison with the AXE FX. I do not understand why not harness the power of AXE FX and a final solution.
By the way according to the AXE II Cliff now has 4 in 2 out. I do not know if 4 in and 2 out from the ax, or 4 in 2 out from the pc. jajjajajaj
Cliff are very brief, can acalrarnos more about the subject.
I put an outline of a fellow Spanish forum to see if it is correct.

AXE2-1.jpg

Ofcourse it is easier to use an external interface, but it's a shame not to have an output channel, to reampling, can not do without external interface and so have all in one.
I agree: it's a shame, but it's a reality.

By the way according to the AXE II Cliff now has 4 in 2 out.
Cliff has 7 inputs and 2 outputs. He has a mouth, two ears, two eyes and two nostrils for the 7 inputs. Likewise, he has the same 2 outputs as everyone else. :)

Seriously, I have only heard that the AFXII has three inputs, not four. Where did you hear that it has four?

I put an outline of a fellow Spanish forum to see if it is correct.
I don't understand parts of your drawings. The first drawing shows Output 1 accepting inputs. I don't think it works that way. The second drawing shows a break in Output 1 where it goes to the USB interface before going to the headphones. It doesn't work that way either. Your third drawing is correct, as I understand it.

So was I. :)

Did I miss some news that there were four outs available on the USB interface? From what I've read, there are only three: Output 1 L+R, and dry.
Cliff said there will now be 4x2 USB Audio... I can't find the post.. but I DID read it..
So yes.. 4 outs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom