Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This setup was being used in the context of A/B testing a particular amp simulation against the actual amp. When doing any kind of experimentation, it is good to isolate the specific variable(s) that you are trying to look at. As it is not possible to run an actual physical power amp through a cabinet simulation, running both through a real cabinet is the only way to get a fair comparison between them. If one assumes that, however good, the cabinet simulations are not a perfect representation of the original, using an actual guitar cabinet for both the physical amp and for the amp simulation is the only way to make sure that any oddities that you hear with the amp simulation are due only to the amp simulation itself, and not to the cabinet simulation or to some interaction between the amp sim and the cabinet sim.

Which is exactly why you can never compare a FRFR version of the AxeFX side by side with, say, a real Fender Twin, and expect it to sound identical, unless you have taken IRs of that Twin's cabinet and speakers first. Which I did, essentially, with my own setup (2X12 cabinet with JBL E-120s that Jay helped me make an IR of) and when I did a real-life A-B between that cabinet and my FRFR setup with the IR (QSC K-12), it was startlingly close in the room to the original.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking how to reamp with the Axe-FX II, you would record the dry signal to your DAW via USB. Then play back the dry signal, either analog or USB, into the input of the Axe II. Set up the Axe II for a tone you like, and you can record the new output from the Axe II.

For what wonder is whether this diagram is correct.
Or if while you reampling, you can also listen to the master of the DAW.
Of little use to reampling, if you have the reference sound of the DAW mix. This is what I am not clear.
O to monitor the DAW mix, I need an external audio card when doing reampling AXE

AXERouting.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Cliff,
From my understanding part of the magic that occurs with certain amps is related
to induction factors based on layout of the circuits and where wires run. These can create phantom circuits which can affect tone. Is there a way to mimic this in the digital realm?

Bump?

Sorry for this tedious question, but I actually want to know if I could hook up the Axe II to my Yamaha AW4416 via Spdif (this machine works only at 44.1 khz.).

I guess not since I've read all the thread and just found that the freq. is fixed in 48 khz. and the possibilities for match my sampling freq. are just software resamp.

Will I get good results with just that gear and digital connections?

Another question is if it's possible to plug a mic of a line signal for all in one purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for this tedious question, but I actually want to know if I could hook up the Axe II to my Yamaha AW4416 via Spdif (this machine works only at 44.1 khz.).

I guess not since I've read all the thread and just found that the freq. is fixed in 48 khz. and the possibilities for match my sampling freq. are just software resamp.

Will I get good results with just that gear and digital connections?

Another question is if it's possible to plug a mic of a line signal for all in one purposes.

Thanks in advance.

I've got an AW4416. I do all my songs at 24bits 48Khz. I have used the ADAT and spdif with ProTools. I'm not sure why yours doesn't support 48khz?

- Richard

The links I posted above are for stranded patch cables.
I did some more looking into patch cables. The typical cat5e patch cable uses a PVC jacket, which I know from experience doesn't stand up very well to the kind of abuse it would get on-stage. I found this cable that has a heavy-duty TPE jacket and can be purchased with regular (as opposed to the Neutrik etherCON) RJ42 jacks. The part number for a finished cable is GTN1-0-(length)-RJB.

I have no idea of the cost, but if it is too high it may be worth buying the cable in bulk and investing in a crimp tool.

Well, even if a disadvantage of cat5e is low durability, it makes up for it by being cheap and available almost everywhere you go. I mean, try finding a MIDI cable at 11:00 PM in a small town, or hell even a decent sized city in an hour or so when you need it right this minute. Now, try to find some network cable under the same circumstances. Almost every big box store you can think of is going to have truckloads of the stuff.

Not sure if this was directed at me but I have a 1974 Hiwatt DR-103. The model is based on that. It is one of the Harry Joyce, Hylight era models. Still has the original tubes. Closet find and sounds glorious.

Perfect, that's what I needed to know. Thank you!

Does the II have the same internal controllers available as the current models?

2 LFO, 2 ASDR, 1 sequencer, 1 envelope?

What's been changed with those, if anything?

TIA

For the X/Y functionality, are we going to be able to assign more than one X/Y toggle to a single button press on the MFC? In other words, could I make a "toggle [amp1] X/Y and toggle [drive1] X/Y at the same time" button?

Also, can we devote one switch to "always switch [block] to X" or "always switch [block] to Y?"

Finally, can we program a single button to switch a block on and off when pressed quickly, and to toggle the block's X/Y settings when held for a second or so?

Thanks!

1. Will AXE II supply power to USB foot controllers via USB?

2. Can i use USB controller and another MIDI controller simultaneously? Example: MFC via cat5 and Softstep controller plugged to USB .That way you don't need power adapter for both controllers.

Bump :)

The typical cat5e patch cable uses a PVC jacket, which I know from experience doesn't stand up very well to the kind of abuse it would get on-stage.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the durability of PVC-jacketed cables. I've seen them hold up for years in hostile, dirty environments that included daily foot traffic.

Time to try my hand at one of these...

For the X/Y functionality, are we going to be able to assign more than one X/Y toggle to a single button press on the MFC? In other words, could I make a "toggle [amp1] X/Y and toggle [drive1] X/Y at the same time" button?
As I understand it: yes. You could use the same CC to toggle X/Y changes on multiple blocks. I'm not sure you could make some blocks go X while others when Y with the same CC message. That is: I'm not sure you can invert the CC value that changes a block state to X or Y. X = 0, Y = 127 (more or less, it's actually a range but you get the idea).

Also, can we devote one switch to "always switch [block] to X" or "always switch [block] to Y?"
Defer. I'm not sure. If you can set up the MFC to only send the CC 127 or 0 value on momentary press (and send nothing on release) then: I think so.

Finally, can we program a single button to switch a block on and off when pressed quickly, and to toggle the block's X/Y settings when held for a second or so?
Yes, just make the switch a momentary switch on the MFC so it's sending 127 when held, 0 when released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom