Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what wonder is whether this diagram is correct.
Or if while you reampling, you can also listen to the master of the DAW.
Of little use to reampling, if you have the reference sound of the DAW mix. This is what I am not clear.
O to monitor the DAW mix, I need an external audio card when doing reampling AXE

AXERouting.jpg
Your diagram is mostly correct. As I understand it, the three digital outputs of the Axe-FX II are always Output 1 (L+R) and the dry signal; the two inputs are always inputs to the Axe-FX II itself. I am not aware of any "headphones mix" function. The headphone output is always an exact copy of Output 1.

If you want to monitor your DAW mix through the Axe-FX II, I think you will need to send it analog to Input 2, then use the Axe's internal mixing blocks to mix as you wish. You could then monitor through either output, depending on your internal signal routing in the Axe-FX.

I think it would be much simpler to provide your DAW with its own analog output interface and do all mixing in your DAW.

For the X/Y functionality, are we going to be able to assign more than one X/Y toggle to a single button press on the MFC? In other words, could I make a "toggle [amp1] X/Y and toggle [drive1] X/Y at the same time" button?

X/Y uses separate CCs IIRC. Which means that if you set different X/Y to the same CC, you can use a single switch to X/Y switch multiple blocks.

Also, can we devote one switch to "always switch [block] to X" or "always switch [block] to Y?"

If each block has its own X/Y CC this would work.

Finally, can we program a single button to switch a block on and off when pressed quickly, and to toggle the block's X/Y settings when held for a second or so

Oh, I would love this feature. Saves a LOT of otherwise necessary IAs.

Yes, just make the switch a momentary switch on the MFC so it's sending 127 when held, 0 when released.

Ian, I think he's asking for something else. A toggle switch to switch between active/bypass (regular function), and which changes into a X/Y toggle switch when pressed for a longer time. Like on footcontrollers from Line 6, Liquid-Foot etc.
I think it'd be a terrific feature.

Ian, I think he's asking for something else. A toggle switch to switch between active/bypass (regular function), and which changes into a X/Y toggle switch when pressed for a longer time. Like on footcontrollers from Line 6, Liquid-Foot etc.

Although I admire the principle I think it is hard to use in a live environment, you'd need a toggle with 2 indicators to show active/passive and x/y otherwise it might get *very* confusing when you're on stage :)

Internal controllers are the same. Slightly greater range on the LFO rate.

heya cliff. i'm just wondering if that means the sequencer can go slower than it does at the moment? i have some really great ideas for some things i'd like to do with the sequencer but it is simply cycling too fast for what i'm trying to do. would be great if it could be much slower.

I've got an AW4416. I do all my songs at 24bits 48Khz. I have used the ADAT and spdif with ProTools. I'm not sure why yours doesn't support 48khz?

- Richard

Yes. You're right. But in all projects I've already recorded just can't change the sampling frequency.

And also got other gear with spdif out and fixed sample rate at 44.1.

And, for instance, i'd like to record at 44.1 for dithering measures.

The other question was if I could plug a mic in the instrument ins.

For sure I won't find phantom, but maybe preamps....

The other question was if I could plug a mic in the instrument ins.

For sure I won't find phantom, but maybe preamps....
You won't find phantom power, and you won't have a balanced signal, and a typical mic puts out far less voltage than the Axe's input is expecting. You might get a usable signal into your Axe-FX, but if you don't use a mic preamp, your signal-to-noise ratio will suffer.

1) The manual for your device indicates it can operate/sample at 48 kHz. If this is so, you're fine. Otherwise, no.
2) What?

1) I went into a rapid typing. For sure I could, but I got many gear that operate only at 44.1 khz. (my MPC, i.e.) and lots of recorded projects at that freq. For these, I'd like to re-record the guitars and basses.

My second question was about using the Axe II as an all-purpose recording interface for both the computer and the multitrack recorder (in this last case, not via usb but spdif), using those great AD converters built in Fractal's machine.

I don't really know if the Axe will treat properly an incoming mic or line signal since a hi-z and a microphone-level signals aren't the same.

EDITING: Rex answered the last one. Thanks.

Last edited:
Although I admire the principle I think it is hard to use in a live environment, you'd need a toggle with 2 indicators to show active/passive and x/y otherwise it might get *very* confusing when you're on stage :)

MFC has dual color LED's - plus 'off'.

Are the XLR outputs at line level? If I buy this, I would be going direct to FOH, can that level be sent to a mic input on a mixer, or would it need to be padded first? I have a Radial JS2 w/ a 30dB pad, would this do the trick?

Are the XLR outputs at line level? If I buy this, I would be going direct to FOH, can that level be sent to a mic input on a mixer, or would it need to be padded first? I have a Radial JS2 w/ a 30dB pad, would this do the trick?

Line level. So use a line input on the mixer. Mic input needs to be padded, or use a DI.

Can you set the "quick controls" globally? For example, have the first knob always control the gain of any amp, the second the bass, the third the mids and the last the highs?

Ah cool. And yea, not at all something I know about. :)

Can you set the "quick controls" globally? For example, have the first knob always control the gain of any amp, the second the bass, the third the mids and the last the highs?

No, doesn't work that way. What you would do is assign 'X' to Amp 1. Then press X and you'll immediately jump to the Amp 1 edit page.

That would be quite handy.

but not exlusively

it would be great to be able to use them per preset too.

I agree it would be great to assign some to Bass, Trebble, Gain etc globbably....BUT it would also be cool to have one to assign as a controller for say delay time in one preset and a depth of chorus on another preset.

but not exlusively

it would be great to be able to use them per preset too.

I agree it would be great to assign some to Bass, Trebble, Gain etc globbably....BUT it would also be cool to have one to assign as a controller for say delay time in one preset and a depth of chorus on another preset.

Agreed, but it's obviously not going to happen as per above :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom