1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by FractalAudio, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Johnnyh64

Johnnyh64
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've owned my unit since the early days of FW5 or so (pre quantum). I have always immediately jumped all over the newest firmware to upgrade. Now, I'm on 7.02 beta and it sounds so amazing to me that for the first time I'm afraid to update and have to change my glorious tone. I know I'm going to do it but just wanted to thank Cliff for the revelation of FW7. Great mind, great guy. Thanks!

2. DreDawgie

DreDawgie
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I love the line in the notes: While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases, the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy.

That's Cliff just laying his dick on the table and being like "if you have a problem, it's you".

DigiSage, ertan and ChrisCG like this.
  3. Burn Witch Burn

Burn Witch Burn
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better....

You'll love it. However, your presets will sound different enough that you'll probably want to deselect/reselect the amp block and re-tweak. So don't update five minutes before you jump in the car to go do a gig if you use a lot of presets. Reserve some time. It's well worth it though. The differences in amps is more pronounced.

If you match an amp with a cab that is typical in the real world, you'll be amazed at how different your guitar feels on different rigs. ...even more than the last FW.

For the first time, I'm getting tones I'd use live with the default amp values! Sometimes just a little added treble. This is a first for me. Usually I tweak the tone knobs, transformer match, dynamic treble, dynamic bass, sag, DC, etc. That was astounding. I've tried about 20 amps matched with their real world cabs and though the high gain and marshall types are feeling great and improved, for me the most magical are the Fender and Vox amps. (Then again, I prefer those in the real world).

This FW is a huge leap forward in realism and feel. And since the tone and feel is so good from the start, it means that the advanced controls are even more powerful than before.
    Thank you FAS!! ...and thanks for still supporting Mk II!

Deaj, paulasbell and marcor66 like this.
  4. Noriuky73

Noriuky73
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Absolutely ... less scooped anf harsh ... I've pared with new OH mesa irs ... just awesome , so close to my real triple recto

soheil likes this.
  5. HarrySound

HarrySound
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Everything seems to have more bounce?
    It felt like I was playing on rubber bands last night, it was great.

6. Strumzilla

Strumzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Thanks FAS Team!!

7. #287 ben ifin, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    ben ifin

ben ifin
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

....... ~ 280 posts ..... no-one here done any comparision [ 6 vs 7 ] clips yet (?) they would care to post for others to listen too (?)

8. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

For all those lost without default values:
    in Axe Edit select a block and click
    [RESET] in the
    [BLOCK] drop down menu
    and start with all controls in default values.
    Then adjust only what you think required.
    (The controls values that come-up after this [reset] are not the same as the 'generic default value'
    you get when double-clicking a knob or its label)

simonp54 and AtomicBlaze like this.
  9. dpeterson

dpeterson
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I need to update to final, but the rectos are spitty IIRC, and I had to tweak a lot to get a usable tone. Going to update this week sometime when I get some time, just moved, boy what a pain in the ass that is.

soheil likes this.
  10. bdrepko

bdrepko
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Already did it a week or so ago.

Martyntb likes this.
  11. bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

DITTO...
    In the words of J. Seinfeld....."They're real,and they're SPECTACULAR...."

12. admgloval

admgloval
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

The Presence shift on the USA PRE LD2 models has been there since the beginning (AFAIK) and was accessible from the front panel, it was just finally added to AxeEdit so that it can be enabled/disabled from there. From Yek's wiki, there is a note for the USA PRE LD2 models that says Cliff wasn't fond of the Mesa 2:90 so he used a VHT 2-50-2 power amp to build the models. I'm guessing maybe that amp has a presence shift? I don't know for sure since I know nothing about that amp.

13. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

The USA Pre models now all use a MarkIV power amp model. The 2:90 power amp is basically the same as a MarkIV and does have a presence shift but it's accessed through a jack on the back (Voicing).

14. admgloval

admgloval
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

There we go, from the man himself, thanks Cliff! I'm assuming the presence shift on the 2:90 is the "Modern" switch?

15. sprint

sprint
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Yes - X will be back to where it started. From what I've seen, the amp "deselect / reselect" only resets default values in the Amp version you are in (x or y). This is what I'd expect and makes the x/y feature a good way to compare back and forth when new firmware versions are released.

16. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

It's such a joy to play using this release. I haven't made it past my PRS 513 yet, but I've found that my "heavy humbucker" mode has come alive. I've only used single coil and regular humbucker sounds in the past but now I can switch to an overdriven bridge pickup and have enough clarity for it to be useful. Such rich, beautiful harmonics and complexity! This is on a Marshall patch dialled in for regular humbuckers. With that patch I can now span bridge to neck with single coils and regular humbuckers, and also work with my overdriven bridge pickup.

Terry.

17. fisioaura

fisioaura
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Hours of fun here! No tweaks in the ac30Tb:laughing:

nic72 likes this.
  18. Keg8605

Keg8605
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

FW 7 is sounding quite sweet. My only problem now is how certain amps are dialed in. One can mess with BMT and input drive for quite a lot of variation. I had a nice slash sweet child tone coming from the JCM 800 #34 as cliff mentioned.

19. 2112

Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

How's everyone looking the updated Recto models?

20. Chewie5150

Chewie5150
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

It's interesting to A/B the differences and see what parameters are effected. I'm working through my main go to presets and screen shot each page to compare. At first I hated the update then realized I just needed to adjust maybe 4-5 things to get it back. Bouncier and yes, tighter bottom end. Very nice. Volume spikes in a few but realized that was due to the SAG defaulting lower than what I had set previous. I think someone made note of increased volume on presets post update. Aside from MV , good to check the SAG value also.