Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

I love the line in the notes: While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases, the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy.

That's Cliff just laying his dick on the table and being like "if you have a problem, it's you".

for the first time I'm afraid to update

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better....

You'll love it. However, your presets will sound different enough that you'll probably want to deselect/reselect the amp block and re-tweak. So don't update five minutes before you jump in the car to go do a gig if you use a lot of presets. Reserve some time. It's well worth it though. The differences in amps is more pronounced.

If you match an amp with a cab that is typical in the real world, you'll be amazed at how different your guitar feels on different rigs. ...even more than the last FW.

For the first time, I'm getting tones I'd use live with the default amp values! Sometimes just a little added treble. This is a first for me. Usually I tweak the tone knobs, transformer match, dynamic treble, dynamic bass, sag, DC, etc. That was astounding. I've tried about 20 amps matched with their real world cabs and though the high gain and marshall types are feeling great and improved, for me the most magical are the Fender and Vox amps. (Then again, I prefer those in the real world).

This FW is a huge leap forward in realism and feel. And since the tone and feel is so good from the start, it means that the advanced controls are even more powerful than before.
Thank you FAS!! ...and thanks for still supporting Mk II!

Drastic changes on the rectos. need some tweaking. Am I the only one that hear more mids on these models? Great update!
Absolutely ... less scooped anf harsh ... I've pared with new OH mesa irs ... just awesome , so close to my real triple recto

Hey all

> 180 or so posts + 9 pages = no comparison clips ?!?!?!? :) what gives :)

Im on 6.03 and will be for a week or 2 due to shows.

But can some of you " 7.0 Final " people post some quick comparison clips of 6.03 Final -vs- 7.00 Final ?

You know the drill ........ same settings, cabs, guitars etc.... [other than FW obviously] so we can get an idea of the changes from 6.03 to 7.00 ?

As per last time, please, no grave/death/morbid/ultra-metal ... please :)

Thanks,
Ben

....... ~ 280 posts ..... no-one here done any comparision [ 6 vs 7 ] clips yet (?) they would care to post for others to listen too (?)

Last edited:
For all those lost without default values:
in Axe Edit select a block and click
[RESET] in the
[BLOCK] drop down menu
and start with all controls in default values.
Then adjust only what you think required.
(The controls values that come-up after this [reset] are not the same as the 'generic default value'
you get when double-clicking a knob or its label)

Drastic changes on the rectos. need some tweaking. Am I the only one that hear more mids on these models? Great update!

I need to update to final, but the rectos are spitty IIRC, and I had to tweak a lot to get a usable tone. Going to update this week sometime when I get some time, just moved, boy what a pain in the ass that is.

Do you mean something like what the Modern, Deep, and Half Drive on the Simul Class 2:90 do? Cause you can't pull the pressence knob on the Simul Class, and that is the amp MESA made for the Triaxis.

The Presence shift on the USA PRE LD2 models has been there since the beginning (AFAIK) and was accessible from the front panel, it was just finally added to AxeEdit so that it can be enabled/disabled from there. From Yek's wiki, there is a note for the USA PRE LD2 models that says Cliff wasn't fond of the Mesa 2:90 so he used a VHT 2-50-2 power amp to build the models. I'm guessing maybe that amp has a presence shift? I don't know for sure since I know nothing about that amp.

The Presence shift on the USA PRE LD2 models has been there since the beginning (AFAIK) and was accessible from the front panel, it was just finally added to AxeEdit so that it can be enabled/disabled from there. From Yek's wiki, there is a note for the USA PRE LD2 models that says Cliff wasn't fond of the Mesa 2:90 so he used a VHT 2-50-2 power amp to build the models. I'm guessing maybe that amp has a presence shift? I don't know for sure since I know nothing about that amp.

The USA Pre models now all use a MarkIV power amp model. The 2:90 power amp is basically the same as a MarkIV and does have a presence shift but it's accessed through a jack on the back (Voicing).

The USA Pre models now all use a MarkIV power amp model. The 2:90 power amp is basically the same as a MarkIV and does have a presence shift but it's accessed through a jack on the back (Voicing).

There we go, from the man himself, thanks Cliff! I'm assuming the presence shift on the 2:90 is the "Modern" switch?

A yes/no question that's been asked probably a million times with different wordings, but almost every time I see different answers.

Say I'm on Q6 with an AMP block on X, and I update the FW to Q7. I copy the AMP X to Y. Then I select another AMP for X, and select back the original AMP (i.e. "the re-selection"). Then I compare the X/Y values and copy every parameter value from Y to X so that all paremeter values are the same. Do the X and Y now sound identical?

Yes - X will be back to where it started. From what I've seen, the amp "deselect / reselect" only resets default values in the Amp version you are in (x or y). This is what I'd expect and makes the x/y feature a good way to compare back and forth when new firmware versions are released.

It's such a joy to play using this release. I haven't made it past my PRS 513 yet, but I've found that my "heavy humbucker" mode has come alive. I've only used single coil and regular humbucker sounds in the past but now I can switch to an overdriven bridge pickup and have enough clarity for it to be useful. Such rich, beautiful harmonics and complexity! This is on a Marshall patch dialled in for regular humbuckers. With that patch I can now span bridge to neck with single coils and regular humbuckers, and also work with my overdriven bridge pickup.

Terry.

FW 7 is sounding quite sweet. My only problem now is how certain amps are dialed in. One can mess with BMT and input drive for quite a lot of variation. I had a nice slash sweet child tone coming from the JCM 800 #34 as cliff mentioned.

It's interesting to A/B the differences and see what parameters are effected. I'm working through my main go to presets and screen shot each page to compare. At first I hated the update then realized I just needed to adjust maybe 4-5 things to get it back. Bouncier and yes, tighter bottom end. Very nice. Volume spikes in a few but realized that was due to the SAG defaulting lower than what I had set previous. I think someone made note of increased volume on presets post update. Aside from MV , good to check the SAG value also.

Back
Top Bottom