Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

Loving this update so much. AFD100 seems much improved if not about 10db louder than allt he other amps!!

I could probably do an entire gig with the jcm800, it just sounds ace.

Everything that was mud has turned to thick chunky lowend. Everything that was harsh is now crunch. Sustain is through the roof and soloing is even more of a pleasure than it already was.

Do yourself a favour, reset your amp blocks, revisit your Cab selections and set phasers to stun!

Tragically, this dropped just as I left town for a week so I can't fiddle around myself...

But one thing that caught my eye: very interesting to me that the new default Speaker Drive is 0.5. Although there's no solid basis for it, I think the general consensus *had* been that 1.0 was the most realistic setting in most situations. I wonder if Cliff considers 0.5 to be the actual authentic value or if he's just easing in everybody's ears to Speaker Drive since most people haven't heard it on default so far.

Just use x/y - reset y to default with your settings on x. Toggle back and forth to see / hear the differences.
Thanks - I do this as well. But having the visual feedback ON the knob you're dialing is a lot easier than flipping back and forth constantly to get a look at where you are or were compared to default on that knob. For those running low on memory, adding Y amps may not be an option.

Last edited:
Loving this update so much. AFD100 seems much improved if not about 10db louder than allt he other amps!!

I could probably do an entire gig with the jcm800, it just sounds ace.

Everything that was mud has turned to thick chunky lowend. Everything that was harsh is now crunch. Sustain is through the roof and soloing is even more of a pleasure than it already was.

Do yourself a favour, reset your amp blocks, revisit your Cab selections and set phasers to stun!

Yup, JCM800 and Plexi 6550 are my go-to amps now.

I'm probably going to drop the output level of the AFD100 models in the next release. There's an attenuation network between the preamp and power amp on the actual amp. To get the power amp working you need to turn the MV up pretty high. That's why the new MV default value is higher. So I'm thinking about dropping the "output trim gain" to compensate. I have it set to +12 dB to compensate for the -12 dB pad between the preamp and power amp but in retrospect it doesn't need to be that high.

After installing Q7, I've been checking my "amp+cab" presets, which accompany The Guide To The Fractal Amp Models.

So far every amp type I auditioned (after reselecting the amp type) sounds great. Q7 is a noticeable, significant improvement, no doubt about it.

I do recommend to reset (= re-select) the amp type in every preset, to force the model to load the new defaults.

As others already have written, it's getting less necessary to fiddle with parameters. The adjustments I apply are minor, and are limited to basic parameters (plus making use of the new cabs).

I tried my presets by switching to latest modeling version and also reselecting amps, every single preset sounds excellent to me either way. Q7 kicks ass! :)

I don't have the words to properly expound on the level of Bad Assery Cliff and the Fractal team are displaying with Q7.
Bravo Maestro Cliff.

But one thing that caught my eye: very interesting to me that the new default Speaker Drive is 0.5. Although there's no solid basis for it, I think the general consensus *had* been that 1.0 was the most realistic setting in most situations. I wonder if Cliff considers 0.5 to be the actual authentic value or if he's just easing in everybody's ears to Speaker Drive since most people haven't heard it on default so far.

I don't know for sure but seems like that would be amp dependent. I imagine some of the more classic amps would benefit but some of the newer, tighter amps would not. Not sure about this but would seem reasonable.

the improvements in Q7 sound seriously interesting…
however I have gigs coming up so I'll have to refrain from pulling the trigger on this one for about a month..
booooooo ! ! ! !

I don't know for sure but seems like that would be amp dependent. I imagine some of the more classic amps would benefit but some of the newer, tighter amps would not. Not sure about this but would seem reasonable.
I would think it'd be dependent on the specs of the speaker and how hard it's being driven & and a host of other variables, i.e. Heat, frequencies, time, age..

I'm thinking Cliff implemented Speaker Drive similarly to the speaker resonance values: it makes an assumption about the power handling of the attached speaker based on the amp you have selected. My conclusion on that was from how much distortion you get with Speaker Drive at 10 on the SLO 100w versus the 15w Tiny Terrier, even though both use 4x12 cabs as default.

Do you know what cab and what amp settings works best to get that AFD album tone? Like the tone he had on Live at the Ritz?

I am sorry for not having responded sooner!

I use AFD100 with Mesa Boogie 2:90 and two cabs 2x12.
My speakers are two V30 and two Creamback 65. I believe what with cabs with similar settings you can
get this tone.

But now I prefer Brit 800 #34 because the AFD100 changed.

The idea is that you reselect the amp model and scroll thru the pages to see what's changed but then don't save the preset. You could use screenshots or create a new amp block to compare new with old.

Don't reset the block, select a new amp model then re select the original.

I wish there was a built in function to compare but there isn't.

I always thought/assumed you had to also save the preset after reselecting the amp model.

A yes/no question that's been asked probably a million times with different wordings, but almost every time I see different answers.

Say I'm on Q6 with an AMP block on X, and I update the FW to Q7. I copy the AMP X to Y. Then I select another AMP for X, and select back the original AMP (i.e. "the re-selection"). Then I compare the X/Y values and copy every parameter value from Y to X so that all paremeter values are the same. Do the X and Y now sound identical?

Assuming modeling Version parameter in the Amp block to “Latest”, (if your unit has this option), both are using Q7 and both have the same parameter values. Where would be the difference?

Unless your belief that they are different might introduce artificial aliasing harmonic placebo artifacts. Just kidding.

I kind of understand this question because when you copy the amp X, you are copying an amp that assumes non-reset parameters. Even if that copy is in now the Y position, it was never initialized as an amp block, whatever that may entail with new versus orig. firmware. So to me this is still a reasonable question. If I'm sure that with reset there is nothing else going on, besides initialization of settings to the new defaults, then I can say they will sound the same, since you re-adjusted everything to your prior settings. I can't find any indication that anything else IS going, on, but it never hurts to hear from Fractal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom