Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

I did the "Refresh after new FW" command - didn't help. Reloaded the firmware as well. AxeEdit is the latest version.

It does show up on the Axe green screen though.

Mark II owner here. I browsed the thread, but couldn't find the answer to this: is the new LA2A style compressor coming in a subsequent release, or available only to XL users, or...? I'd love to use that!

Meanwhile, I am loving Q7. The 5E3...glorious. The Maz38 with a Tele...awesome for country now. Preamp tube variance seems to be a bit more now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That will be 7.01 which the beta version is available now for the AX8! They pulled a fast one on us & released it first to the AX8 LOL!

Got it working - uninstalled AxeEdit, purged the registry entries, reinstalled. Works like a champ! Thanks for responding guys!

I installed 7, and am just realizing how much work adjusting my existing presets is going to be. No fewer than 75 amp parameters are reset during de/re-selecting the amp model. While only a minority of these has been modified in my presets, they still need to be verified since I do adjust many advanced parameters. The fact that the Amp block graphic EQ is reset alone is going to take time. I'm going to make a habit of not using it in the future. My presets all sound markedly different. This is not a trivial process.

I may have to switch back to 6 for gigs until I can sort out 7 at home. I can't tweak everything in the time between gigs, and I certainly can't play gigs with 7 until I re-tweak. Once 7 is adjusted, it sounds amazing. If only I could afford two units to avoid constantly reloading firmware versions.

I knew what I was getting into when I moved from the Ultra. And I know it will be worth the effort. But damn I wish I had a magic wand.

EDIT: I am discovering that I don't need to use the advanced parameters with Q7. I previously used many of them, but find they are no longer needed. The improved quality is hard to qualify in words. The low end is tighter, less flubby, yet still as powerful. It doesn't seem to "get in the way" of the rest of the spectrum while still being quite strong. The attack is improved without ice pick syndrome. The highs are more articulate without being harsh, in fact, they are smoother than before. It seems more compressed in some ways, yet less compressed in others, which defies logic. Whatever Cliff did, he hit it out of the park. I don't think tweaking will take as long as I thought, though I do have a large number of presets to tweak.
I have noticed this on the last several firmware version. Less and less tweaking with each one. Damn Cliff, what am I supposed to do with all this spare time I have.

Absolutely not. The LA-2A, CL1B, et. al. are high-end studio compressors that use optical circuits.

I googled the LA-2A write after I wrote that, I was curious about what it used as a light source. I saw that it was $5K+ rack unit, so I updated my post with an "oops".

The Fender amps have improved over the last year of updates. I don't know a lot of amps...but I know Fenders. Excellent work Clif, thank you.

OTOH...optical compressors are a big deal...and if a well modeled version shows up in the axe...geesh...I am having a real hard time wrapping my head around how completely the "sound" of the guitar is being attacked by this company. Fascinating...

I can't wait to check it out. I used to use a real LA2A a lot and then I had a great opto comp for awhile. I have been reduced to using my UAD LA2A, which I still love. My favorite compressor.

I had the same question and ETOLKIEN was nice enough to help me out. Here is his response.
You can download the Firmware zip for Mark I/markII users. Inside this zip there are a folder called "UltraRes Samples" that contains these cabs. The reason for this is that MarkI/II devices have 132 factory slots only, Cliff provides the 28 additional factory cabs in a separate folder. Even if you are an XL user you can benefit from this nice gesture from Cliff.
#146 is called "OH_412_MAR-CB_H-PR-55_Studio-Modern"
#149 is called "OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern"
Even if you have an XL you can keep that folder to have these old cabs
When you install the new firmware for your machine the old cabs will be lost but if you keep this folder you can install them again in some user's slots.
Ownhammer has posted the retired cabs:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/link-to-ownhammer-irs-retired-in-q7.125308/
Here you can find the old factory cab #57 (unavaliable in the firmware Marks folder)

I know this isn't groundbreaking insight, but just rolling through the amp blocks with their default settings is amazing now. I feel like so many amps that I mentally wrote off as "not for me" now have character I can't deny. The Citrus Terrier is downright silly with the MV dimed and every single Marshall has a facelift. I am newly impressed with all the JVM Models!

The FAS custom models like Brit Brown and Brit Super are insane with ZERO knob turning. I really didn't think this would be such a pleasant improvement.

Back
Top Bottom