Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

Yup, JCM800 and Plexi 6550 are my go-to amps now.

I'm probably going to drop the output level of the AFD100 models in the next release. There's an attenuation network between the preamp and power amp on the actual amp. To get the power amp working you need to turn the MV up pretty high. That's why the new MV default value is higher. So I'm thinking about dropping the "output trim gain" to compensate. I have it set to +12 dB to compensate for the -12 dB pad between the preamp and power amp but in retrospect it doesn't need to be that high.
I absolutely love the JCM800 and it's my go-to as well. I think it would be awesome to have the clean channel if possible

Well, the dreaded Name Timeout issue is back for me!! Anyone else having this problem? I re-downloaded the firmware & reinstalled but still have the same problem. Changing banks on the MFC eventually triggers it every time!! The 3rd time I tried it happened with in 2 minutes. No computer even connected. Not good!!

Had time to play for an hour today and wow, 4 1/2 hours went by on just a few amps(missed dinner...). So now the factory amps sound/fell great from the get go but, the most amazing aspect to the AxeFx is that there has been a turnabout with the use of deep parameters. Firmwares ago deep parameters were essential to tweak an amp to sound/feel right. Now, deep parameters are a sonic fantasy tool to easily create many great variations off of each amp! Just insanely awesome!

Well, the dreaded Name Timeout issue is back for me!! Anyone else having this problem? I re-downloaded the firmware & reinstalled but still have the same problem. Changing banks on the MFC eventually triggers it every time!! The 3rd time I tried it happened with in 2 minutes. No computer even connected. Not good!!
Did you forget to disconnect the MFC when updating?

Cliff, on New Features...

Added the “Presence Shift” button for the USA PRE LD2 models. I have no idea what the"Presence Shift" would be in the real preamp, and I am not near my Axe FXII now in order to hear what it does... can you elaborate on this new feature a little please.... LOL

Added the “Presence Shift” button for the USA PRE LD2 models. I have no idea what the"Presence Shift" would be in the real preamp, and I am not near my Axe FXII now in order to hear what it does... can you elaborate on this new feature a little please.... LOL
When you pull the Presence knob on the "real" amp, it shifts the frequencies at which the Presence knob is effective.

I have to say, I did test beta 2 and liked what i heard. So I decide to rebuild my patches so far I have finished my main five. I updated today and man the Divided 13 lo and JCM 800 mod are just stupid good. Always liked them but now they are just so good. Great job Cliff and everyone involved you all did a great good with this one.

When you pull the Presence knob on the "real" amp, it shifts the frequencies at which the Presence knob is effective.
I thought the USA Pre was modeled after the Triaxis preamp, not the MK IV. The Triaxis has no Presence Shift, but what a hell, more options have got to be better than none right...LOL

Presence is a power amp thing. The real Triaxis was intended to be used with a power amp, and the Fractal models that are based on it also use a power amp.
Do you mean something like what the Modern, Deep, and Half Drive on the Simul Class 2:90 do? Cause you can't pull the pressence knob on the Simul Class, and that is the amp MESA made for the Triaxis.

Do you mean something like what the Modern, Deep, and Half Drive on the Simul Class 2:90 do? Cause you can't pull the pressence knob on the Simul Class, and that is the amp MESA made for the Triaxis.

Yeah, it's from the push pull presence knobs that I think only affected the power sections on the Mark 2,3 and 4 amps.
Triaxis didn't have it obviously, unless you paired it with one of the marks power sections.

Nice to have the option to use it on the triaxis model though (I would imagine.... I have an ax8...)

I can't remember exactly how many years I've had my Axe-FX. It has to have been at least 3 or 4 years at this point, so I've gone through quite a few major updates. When I first programmed all of my patches, on whatever update that was, I probably used 10, 15, possibly more things on the advanced pages of Axe-Edit to get the tones I needed/wanted for my songs, and even then there were some things not exactly how I wanted them. On this update, I reset all of my amps, on every song, and never once needed to leave the main page, and every amp, on every song sounds perfectly the way I need/want. This makes me really happy.

After installing Q7, I've been checking my "amp+cab" presets, which accompany The Guide To The Fractal Amp Models.

So far every amp type I auditioned (after reselecting the amp type) sounds great. Q7 is a noticeable, significant improvement, no doubt about it.

I do recommend to reset (= re-select) the amp type in every preset, to force the model to load the new defaults.

As others already have written, it's getting less necessary to fiddle with parameters. The adjustments I apply are minor, and are limited to basic parameters (plus making use of the new cabs).

This time i'd even consider to start fresh with your fav. amps.
In my ears and fingers the "amp behaviour" is slightly different, especially in the low gain section.

Is it more real ? I don't know and i don't care anymore...

I can't remember exactly how many years I've had my Axe-FX. It has to have been at least 3 or 4 years at this point, so I've gone through quite a few major updates. When I first programmed all of my patches, on whatever update that was, I probably used 10, 15, possibly more things on the advanced pages of Axe-Edit to get the tones I needed/wanted for my songs, and even then there were some things not exactly how I wanted them. On this update, I reset all of my amps, on every song, and never once needed to leave the main page, and every amp, on every song sounds perfectly the way I need/want. This makes me really happy.

I did the same thing. I don't feel the need to use any of the adv features at all now. It's nice to know they are there if I need them but man this update is just incredible.

Last edited:
I've owned my unit since the early days of FW5 or so (pre quantum). I have always immediately jumped all over the newest firmware to upgrade. Now, I'm on 7.02 beta and it sounds so amazing to me that for the first time I'm afraid to update and have to change my glorious tone. I know I'm going to do it but just wanted to thank Cliff for the revelation of FW7. Great mind, great guy. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom