Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

Any particular reason why 70% is the new default squish value?
Accuracy. From the release notes:

Improved cathode bias algorithm for “Class-A” amp models (i.e. Class-A 30W, AC-20 Dlx, etc). In conjunction with this the Cathode Squish parameter has been repurposed as “Cathode Bias” and controls the value of a virtual cathode resistor. A value of 50% is “optimum” and biases the power tubes at true Class A operation (neglecting any bias shifting due to supply sag, screen droop, etc.). Values greater than 50% increase the resistance and therefore bias the power tubes “colder”. Values less than 50% bias the tubes beyond Class A. In a real amp this would probably destroy the tubes but that limitation does not exist in our virtual amp. Most real amps of this type actually operate far below Class A and the default values for the models will reflect this.

Im terrible a describing guitar tone but, I have been enjoying my axe fx a lot over the last year. I started talking to this girl at work today about how cool Cliff is and what an awesome engineer he his and how I really like how the fractal company treats its customers and how Cliff models plate currents and cathodes and stuff...she had no idea what i was talking about but was quite amused...yeah I like this firmware...I like it a lot.
That's wonderful!!!!

Just had a 30 minute session with the beta version and it sounds like the high frequencies are getting more and more refined with each upgrade, especially on the high gain amps where the fizz is really crucial to the tone.

I dig it.

I played for about an hour yesterday and tweaked my go-to presets a little bit. Most of them are pretty high gain and common for all of them with Q 2.0 is that they all somehow sound better! There's more chunk and less phasey fizz when using two amps. Great work! :)

OK, finally got to install and test Quantum 2.0b2. It is definitely different as some of my patches are going to need to be tweaked. (note that some differences I'm hearing may be due to my new audio interface...finally got an Apollo, yee-ha). I played for 45 minutes before the install and 45 after. It clearly seems better to me. The high end seems a little less harsh, more smooth. During high gain palm muted picking it seems to have slightly more depth, a bit more in your face. I tried the Plexi 100W 1979 with factory cab 54/55 (I chose 55) that has been mentioned in this thread. It is the sound of rock and roll and I found myself channelling the Young brothers. This isn't news but the Angle Severe will melt your face off. I look forward to more testing and playing with more amp models. Thank you Cliff and company for continuing to improve. It is much appreciated.

Seriously I don't know any other company in the same business that fixes bugs as quickly as FAS do; major sense of pride going on here! Love it! And these FW updates are awesome, including the BETA releases. Worth every penny spent on my gear, and got no regrets!
Thank you Cliff and team!

I started talking to this girl at work today about how cool Cliff is and what an awesome engineer he his and how I really like how the fractal company treats its customers and how Cliff models plate currents and cathodes and stuff...she had no idea what i was talking about but was quite amused...yeah I like this firmware...I like it a lot.

Plate currents...cathodes...
She don't ran away? Instead she laughed?
You got her in the bag...time to increase damping factor!

Last edited:
All right. I am one of those over the top reviewers of this firmware. But I stated, that it was major playing experience. This thing was already good when I bought it and that was maybe 3 years ago. I never played through tube amps, so I never really understood the stories about feel of the tube amp - I always used modelers or fx processors and I was getting decent results and even compliments from fellow guitarists who played tube rigs - usually they were impressed with how much I can achieve with such a crappy thing in their eyes :). So when I got the AXE II I thought it would be easy for me to switch, but instead I actually had to learn about tube amps a lot to get the AXE sound decent when I got it. But over time it got easier and with firmware updates I started noticing improvements not in quality of the sound but in quality of the FEEL. So that is the hype for me. With Quantum I noticed great improvement. With Q2 I noticed another level of FEEL, that I have not experienced before. I am pretty sure that nobody around me will notice a huge difference, if they notice it at all. But to me, the difference is huge. And we could go on and on and on and on about how full of it I am. But you know what? Go and buy the tube rig if that makes you happy. I don't need tube rig. But I am not better or worse because of it. There are far more important things than a stupid rig of ANY kind.

and btw Thanks FAS and Cliff for giving the updates to us for FREE. That is absolutely classy from you.

Cheers.

Who want's Beta Three? I fixed the crackling Drive issue and also found that I forgot to initialize one of the feedforward filters for all the Mesa Mark models.
Ah!
So I haven't lost the last shred on my last neuron, there was actually something different.
As soon as I upgraded to Beta 1 my sounds were totally off, very very different (they are mostly USA Leads); I thought I screwed up the upgrade.
Beta 2 seems to have resolved the difference I was hearing.

You guys at the Fractal Team are too good to be real; what's the catch?
Are You trying to conquer the World with You kindness and hard work?

:D:D:D

It will be Quantom 2.00 public beta trois.

Trois, like at the ménage à trois
I could dig that :rolleyes:

All kidding aside. I have unfortunately only been able to spend a few minutes with Quantum 2.00 public Beta deux.
But there are definitely changes in feel and tone that work for me. :)

These go to eleven.

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

guitarscientist said:
Im terrible a describing guitar tone but, I have been enjoying my axe fx a lot over the last year. I started talking to this girl at work today about how cool Cliff is and what an awesome engineer he his and how I really like how the fractal company treats its customers and how Cliff models plate currents and cathodes and stuff...she had no idea what i was talking about but was quite amused...yeah I like this firmware...I like it a lot.

Trust me, that's no way to pick up girls...

Can we please move this to the top of the new feature request list?

so?.................................................................................................................................................................................
F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-F5-............

This is the first time I've ever installed Beta firmware on my Axe and I'm so glad I did. This version feels amazing to play, and it seems like the sounds are a little easier to dial in now for whatever reason. I'm loving it so far.

Back
Top Bottom