Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

one problem arises when someone can't hear the difference and introduces the thought of "my opinion is that there is no change." that's not an opinion though. if a change is programed into the code, then there is a change. just because someone can't hear the change doesn't mean there isn't one. as i mentioned earlier, if someone can't hear the difference between the Bridge and Neck pickups on a guitar, they can't say "it's my opinion that nothing is changing" when they see someone clearly flip the pickup selector. it has changed. they just can't discern the difference.

Agreed, and the same is true the other direction. Just because someone says they can hear a change doesn't mean there is one. Cliff could post a firmware that is exactly the same (to be clear, I don't believe he has done this...just saying that he could) and some people would insist that it's different. And they wouldn't necessarily be wrong that it sounds different to them (whether there is a programming change or not), because the exact same preset can sound a bit different one day than it did the day before. That's the way the human ear (and brain) works. Probably not dramatic differences, but there are times when one can dial in a preset and it sounds fantastic, then pull it up another day and think, "it doesn't have enough bass" (or whatever). I'm just saying it's a kind of silly thing to argue about. Use the product, enjoy it, and if it doesn't sound exactly like you want, it's flexible enough that you can change it up and still find something you love.

up on Q2.0b2 now…
not hearing much difference to be honest, but I'd imagine that maybe my amp choices are not as strongly affected as others..
the only things I needed to do were:
- increase the level of the Herbert a little cos the 5153Red was the louder of the two [and they sound at the same time so the balance between them was a little off]
- increase the 'min' value of the modifier that cleans the Herbert because in Q2 it now cleans more than before as the signal entering the amp reduces.. that was to ensure that the 5153Red and HerbertCh3 make their transitions between clean and dirty at the same rate when moving the XP from toe to heel and back..

EQ wise I changed nothing..
loved Q1.06.. not hearing the sort of difference in Q2 that really stands out to me.. so loving Q2 as well..

I haven't been able to play guitar for over a month due to an injury. I had my XL back on firmware 5 to help a friend with his setup. So today I play a little on 5 and then toss in the new Q2 for beta testing. It's amazing to feel and hear the changes when skipping over multiple updates.

It is astonishing how Cliff can add/subtract a few parameters and get both dynamic and tonal changes that the majority prefer with simple "marketing hype" :) What a freaking genius! Imagine if he actually modeled the finite nuances and came up with mathematical solutions to make these subtle and not so subtle differences. Oh wait...

Last edited:
It's just people getting super hyped about the unit, man. Not much more. Like I said, many people are probably just hearing the amps louder as there is a volume increase with this fw, and they are assuming "huge" differences.

People have been saying this unit sounds 100% since fw one. People also say they can't hear the difference between a mic on a cab and an IR in the axe. People also say they can't hear the difference between long and short IRs. People can't hear the difference between a direct recorded axe and a pro studio recorded live amp, but somehow... They hear massive differences when there's an update. But it was 100% before...

It's just people getting hyped up.

This would be YOUR *opinion*. Not fact.

It IS a fact, however, that not everyone hears everything the same... this would be why some people love a certain firmware, others not.. because they hear something different than someone else

While not everyone can *hear* a difference in tone or volume, I guarantee you that the recording engineers in the room CAN *hear* the difference... they can hear the difference between every mic they own, they can hear the subtle differences between them, and have the ears to blend tones that everyone loves on records. We can hear the tone of new strings dying during the recording process and drive the artist nuts changing strings... subtle timing problems that most people can't hear or feel... and Mastering engineers take it to the extreme...

So, just because you ( or any person ) might not be able to hear the subtle differences, does not mean that other people cannot... one person's "marketing hype" ( which I can tell you is bullcrap ), is another man's "HOLY CRAP" moment...

Good luck on finding the rig that gives you *your* tone...

Agreed, and the same is true the other direction. Just because someone says they can hear a change doesn't mean there is one. Cliff could post a firmware that is exactly the same (to be clear, I don't believe he has done this...just saying that he could) and some people would insist that it's different. And they wouldn't necessarily be wrong that it sounds different to them (whether there is a programming change or not), because the exact same preset can sound a bit different one day than it did the day before. That's the way the human ear (and brain) works. Probably not dramatic differences, but there are times when one can dial in a preset and it sounds fantastic, then pull it up another day and think, "it doesn't have enough bass" (or whatever). I'm just saying it's a kind of silly thing to argue about. Use the product, enjoy it, and if it doesn't sound exactly like you want, it's flexible enough that you can change it up and still find something you love.

Well, there are ways to quantify differences. For instance, playing a sample through different updates and performing a blind listening test.

Hey guys,

So this is my first update since spending the last few weeks dialing in my sounds for my set the way I like them (I had a couple of updates before I started working on my presets so I know how much better things can sound from an update). I have my settings set in my amp block library as my "main" custom amp which I based off a Twin.

I've been told not to install an update before a show as there can be unexpected surprises...which makes sense...just like you don't update your DAW in the middle of a recording session.

Anyway...my next show isn't for another week or so. How does this work? Will the update mess with my settings on the amp I saved to my amp block library or just the default amp models or will the update make changes to the overall way the parameters work and I'll just need to do some minor adjustments to some of the settings?

Any insight anyone can provide will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

No it won't but I always save my block folder once I know I have added a few items....just in case

remember Fractal Bot does NOT backup your fractal block folder..You need to do that manually which takes about 5 seconds of D&Drop

This new FW is definitely bouncing! People need to run these new ones through power amp and guitar cabs and the feel comes through much more IMO. Enjoy and stop bickering! lol

Well, there are ways to quantify differences. For instance, playing a sample through different updates and performing a blind listening test.

Exactly. See my post prior to the one you quoted. A/B listening is exactly what I've done, and I can tell the difference between firmware versions. But I can also guarantee that you can do the same test, with the same firmware versions, and some people won't be able to tell a difference. And the same test with the same version on both A and B side, and some people will swear they can tell a difference, especially if you do A one day and B another.

Back
Top Bottom