Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

Just because something is already the closest, doesn't mean it can't get even closer. I've said it before, but Cliff isn't just giving people a great product to use that sounds good. He is preserving the essence of tube amps for the rest of time in a digital format, capturing what it is that makes them special, and we'll have the mojo long after the physical components to make tube amps are no longer available.

Sure but it's already been claimed that the authenticity is beyond reproach by the company itself. Yet... It continues to "improve".

I hear that, but that's so literal and yet so subjective at the same time. Unless any of us sitting with Cliffs actual amps, how would we know definitively? Isn't it always said no two amps sound the same? With that in mind, doesn't the target definition of truly "authentic" change then? It becomes relative to what we heard before (prior firmware), therefore you will never stop hearing compliments if Cliff truly feels he made something better. To the player (loving updates), if it feels better, then it is. Not trying to poke a hornets nest, just discussing. :) Then the whole sugar pill thing too... But its obvious Cliff takes great pride in his work, and proves it a lot with past improvements and detailed notes/discussion about them vs throwing us placebos.

FW updates are typically marketing hype.
If I'm understanding this statement correctly, I couldn't disagree more. I've never known FAS to hold out on an update just to release it later for more marketing goodness. The updates are free after all. What do they have to gain really by doing MORE free updates? The fact that the updates are free shows Cliff's dedication to the product and concept he's created. If you don't hear or feel a difference after a FW update, that's fine. But I doubt someone is buying an Axe today solely because of QFW 2.00's "marketing hype."

It's like your car manufacturer came out with a new version that can go faster, but you say "that's just marketing hype because *I* only drive 35 MPH..."

Last edited:
This is kind of the deal with major upgrades folks. Many hear the differences, some don't. This is neither good nor bad.

I will comment it does take a week or so for the majority to come around.
Sure but it's already been claimed that the authenticity is beyond reproach by the company itself. Yet... It continues to "improve".

It's easy to work this. Load up the last version before Quantum, play and/or record, load up 2.0b and listen. Also 'feel' is a good indicator...which responds to you better.

And folks, it's this way with EVERY major update. There is some bickering that goes back and forth, some 'it's not better', some 'OMG'. In 2 weeks the VAST majority will say it's better. Much of this is the learning curve on how to do the same things slightly differently. Or think of it this way: We have so many different versions of FW that you can pick the one you want, and never leave (no, it's not written down that you need the latest and greatest every time.)

Deep breath all. This is all goodness.

R

If I'm understanding this statement correctly, I couldn't disagree more.

Well sure. You're fully invested into this unit. I've been with it since the beginning of the axe fx 2 and have decided to sell everything and go back to a traditional rig. This thing is great but it's never going to be 100% and to some of us it's important.

I'm glad there are people who are happy because it means I will likely find a buyer sooner.

I completely agree. I have no doubt that things do get more real with every update. I just think that people exaggerate a little bit, that's all. I do it, too.

Major to you may be minor to me and vice versa. You're entitled to your perception, though whether it's exaggerated is subjective, in my opinion.

Improved or not improved, I've always been able to dial up killer tones on my Axe FX 2. Since FW10. Even on the earlier versions with the UltraRes bug. It's always sounded good, but the improvement in feel in recent updates is definitely a tangible thing for me.

This is funny..... The advances are incremental and I am sure Cliff always can find something to advance from the modeling perspective but it is the best at the time of release and can always get better as we have seen time and time again. I don't understand why this is hard to grasp. Oh well, I choose to enjoy the ride and try to be a better player, musician and person. YMMV

Well sure. You're fully invested into this unit. I've been with it since the beginning of the axe fx 2 and have decided to sell everything and go back to a traditional rig. This thing is great but it's never going to be 100% and to some of us it's important.
It's obviously important to FAS as well since they keep spending time and R&D releasing free FW updates.

Funny that someone can diss it for not being 100% AND diss it for continually improving it towards that goal.

Last edited:
The new firmware implements actual (vs theoretical) tube curves and that's quantifiable, not just marketing hype. In my opinion, this is bound to yield a qualitative difference that's authentically closer to actual tubes, though to what sonic degree is another issue.

I really wasn't trying to start a war. I was just curious why so many people perceive significant improvements when the gap is so small already. I'm sure it's due to some combination of improved feel, placebo effect, overestimation of authenticity of prior FW, and actual true improvement. I'm a customer who just bought a nonreturnable unit from the Fractal store. I believe in the company and its upgrade strategy/history.

I really wasn't trying to start a war. I was just curious why so many people perceive significant improvements when the gap is so small already. I'm sure it's due to some combination of improved feel, placebo effect, overestimation of authenticity of prior FW, and actual true improvement. I'm a customer who just bought a nonreturnable unit from the Fractal store. I believe in the company and its upgrade strategy/history.
I haven't played the Axe-Fx in a while, focusing on the FX8 which has no amp modeling. The 2.00 beta came out and I installed it without trying 1.06 at all. I instantly heard and felt a great sound, and realized some qualities I haven't experienced from the Axe before. Just because the gap is small, doesn't mean updates at this point can't be/feel substantial.

Some people can't hear or feel these differences. That's ok.

Some people also can't hear the differences between the bridge and neck pickup on a guitar. Should we stop making guitars with 2 pickups because of that?

so many people

I think that's the disconnect here. "So many people" is a handful of forum members who took time to give feedback on Beta thread! lol as opposed to the majority of customers who probably don't even visit the forum at all!- as evidenced by the forum Ax8 waitlist thing.

Now when those people(or even a fraction of them) start rushing the forums creating accounts to come in here and praise a Beta update, then I think you have more of a valid point.

Back
Top Bottom