Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

What about the other electronic devices? I remember when I was at college labs, RC filters and transistor circuits never behave as the books predicted :) frequency response curves never were smooth curves and the parameters never were the same as the nominal values - in some case they were out of the tolerance range (example: a 470ohm +/- 2% resistor was in fact 450ohm). Maybe you should compare theoretical models of resistors, capacitors, inductors, etc, to the real ones too, as you did with tubes.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/no-two-amps-sound-the-same-fact-or-fallacy.109537/

Now when those people(or even a fraction of them) start rushing the forums creating accounts to come in here and praise a Beta update, then I think you have more of a valid point.
That will never happen. As proven by sites like Yelp, people are usually motivated to create accounts and take the time to write things when they want to criticize or have a problem. Very few people go through that effort to praise things.

I think I found some bug....when adjusting input drive in CA OD-2 amp block, I can hear crackling noise, even when guitar is turned down...can anybody else confirm this?

The old saying on here about updates, you don't have to. The beauty here is you can use whatever version you want or that makes you happy. Don't forget that these are a lot of hard work for FAS/Cliff, and they are free!
I know on a forum that you can't always get your point across or you get misunderstood but I hope that we can all be courteous and more understanding. I'm glad to be a part of this family and as most families there are disagreements but hey! We still love our families. FAS rules and we know it or we wouldn't be here unless you are a troll stirring it up. In that case, shame on you!

Cliff, is it reasonable to assume that because of the new tube modeling algorithm, some of my patches may have (or at least seem to have) slightly less gain than before? My main patch, which uses the USA IIC+ BRT/DP model with the default 12AX7A preamp tube type, seemed just a little less gainy after updating.

Wanted to make sure I wasn't hearing things before raising the gain on my patches (not that I ever really need an excuse to raise the gain :D).

I think that's the disconnect here. "So many people" is a handful of forum members who took time to give feedback on Beta thread! lol as opposed to the majority of customers who probably don't even visit the forum at all!- as evidenced by the forum Ax8 waitlist thing.

Now when those people(or even a fraction of them) start rushing the forums creating accounts to come in here and praise a Beta update, then I think you have more of a valid point.

I doubt most are even aware of its existence yet... which should speak volumes to the "it's marketing hype" crowd.

My apologies for ruining the thread.

Forgiven... THIS time. ;)

Cliff, is it reasonable to assume that because of the new tube modeling algorithm, some of my patches may have (or at least seem to have) slightly less gain than before? My main patch, which uses the USA IIC+ BRT/DP model with the default 12AX7A preamp tube type, seemed just a little less gainy after updating.

Wanted to make sure I wasn't hearing things before raising the gain on my patches (not that I ever really need an excuse to raise the gain :D).

The Tone Stack in that model was incorrect in the previous versions. It was referencing a Mark IV tone stack. The only difference between a Mark II and a Mark IV tone stack is the taper of the midrange pot. In a Mark IIC+ (at least in our reference amp) the midrange taper is Log10A. In a Mark IV it's linear. So you can do one of two things: change the Tone Stack Type to "USA NORMAL" or simply turn the midrange way up. My theory is that Mesa realized that Mark II's sounded best with the midrange cranked way up so they changed the taper to make noon have more midrange.

While you are 100% correct, I have a hard time believing that most of the people who are hearing a difference (and make no mistake, I believe them) could pick out a "real" tube amp in a blind A/B test with Axe-FX on Q1.06. Perhaps I'm just wrong about that. It just seems like the "gap" was already incredibly small, and it makes me wonder why it's so easy for people to hear the improvements to the point of calling them "major."

With modeling, I believe it's been very hard to tell the difference between a tube amp or a modeled amp RECORDING for quite a while. However all amps have different frequencies that swell, diminish & breakup at different levels at different times while affecting each other. This is where tube amps have more complex interactions with sound and FEEL that interacts with the player.
If you've spent any amount of time with tube amps you will definitely notice when some of these subtleties are added or taken away, but can still sound great all the while. Feel and sound are two different animals IMHO

I recently (like, last week) got an XL running 1.6 and so far, I'm blown away. Response, tone, feel...it's all there. I'll load Q2 once it's out of beta. I like the idea of iterative improvements, but from what I'm hearing from 1.6, Fractal is so close to that "real valve asymptote" that it's not going to be a game changer for me. I'm already getting tones out of the Axe that feel as good as my Marshall DSL, plus a couple dozen other cool amps I've never played!

Right now I'm feeling pretty smart for grabbing one of the last "new old stock" XLs they had for $2k. They're gone now.

Like many others, I appreciate the heck out of how passionate Fractal is as a company to innovate on the platform. It's the easily the best music product I've ever owned and I completely trust in what they do to improve it.

Looking forward to 2.0 when it's ready to roll.

Chris - when you are leveling your preset, is this with the strings ringing out or are you taking into account palm mutes/chugs too?

Reason I ask is that I notice palm mutes/chugs tend to add anywhere between 4 and 8db to my signal, so I find myself having to take this into account when leveling my presets. It usually ends up with me dialling back some of the low end content, i.e. Bass and Depth, to control those jumps in volume.

i level my preset while i'm striking the strings. ringing out is already quieter than "nominal." palm mutes do add more level due to increased low frequency, so yes i too reduce bass if it gets too loud. if i do want that much bass from palm mutes though (which is rare), i'll put a compressor somewhere so the increased frequency is heard, but the level doesn't increase too much. 8dB of increase is way too much. that will kill anything at stage volumes, so it's best to control it. even a 3dB raise in the bass while chugging will be heard and felt, so don't be afraid to dial it down.

Just a little digression, I'm curious, how high is your input in %?
my input is usually 30% with my Ernieball JP guitars. but the input setting does NOT affect your output. it's only a signal to noise ratio adjustment.

it can sometimes affect things with either extreme settings like 0% or 100% or with extreme guitars that have very weak outputs or very strong outputs.

Wait! Wait! To me too!
To me minority and different opinions are always richness and knowledge!
i definitely agree with this :)

but some people think their statement of "i don't hear a difference therefore there is none" is a minority opinion ;) that's not an opinion. the changes in FW can be measured, therefore it is fact. if you can't hear it, that's not opinion. it's actually fact that you can't perceive the change.

Minority opinions are welcome.

Wait! Wait! To me too!
To me minority and different opinions are always richness and knowledge!
The (maybe too deep) meaning of my words is that - like in a real amp - you can easily get a more rounded and "puffy" tone!
It's more difficult - if the base tone modeled is (too) "rounded" - to get a more crispy tone!
Sometimes eqs, or cabs IRs, or pick attack or filters or enhancers... can help you... sometimes not!
My reference tube amp - after many others - is now an Hiwatt Custom 50 SA212 with purple fane speakers... ya know: an Hi-Fi amp!
Well... . the twang, and zing, and bells, and chimey, and quacky tones from my Fenders was what i miss the most!
Now ... with Q2... all that is again under my fingers!

Back
Top Bottom