Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

Well sure. You're fully invested into this unit. I've been with it since the beginning of the axe fx 2 and have decided to sell everything and go back to a traditional rig. This thing is great but it's never going to be 100% and to some of us it's important.

I'm glad there are people who are happy because it means I will likely find a buyer sooner.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but your statement that "this thing is great but it's never going to be 100%..." seems to go beyond opinion into the realm of bias ...well lets just say it, bullshit. 100% percent of what? I recently played a "100%" tube amp at a gig and, in my opinion, it sucked compared to the axe. Frankly, it sucked compared to any amp. So, if you are saying that the Axefx2 is not 100% like that marshall piece of shit I had to play through recently, then you are correct. The axe is light years ahead of it in terms of what makes a great "100%" tube amp if that amp is you standard. I recently bought an ac15 to compare with the axe. The ac15 is now gone because the axefx2 was absolutely as good. It could do anything that ac15 could do, and then some. I have an old hand wired and tuned marshall and I can tell you that the axe is in the same ball park with this amp. I played many tube amps that I would place under the axe fx2.

By the way, I built that marshall over a period of years. It has had a number of different transformers and other little tweaks that made it better and better. I have a friend who bought a reissue bassman; sounded pretty good until you compared it to a real 59 bassman. It took some interesting tweaks to get reissue into that '59 territory. Good can get better. Great can be greater.

If it was all about hype and money and your typical bullshit then I would imagine Fractal would simply issue the latest greatest versions each year in the form of a new model instead of giving it away for free. Or at least sell the new firmware; you know they could do that. But they don't. So much for the marketing hype.

I believe the evidence shows that Fractal is about creating a product that transcends expectations and exemplifies excellence. Money and marketing are simply necessary evils that make it possible to keep our passions moving forward and keeps a business in business. Its a character thing.

To say that the AxeFx will never be "100%" is a statement rooted in emotionalism, void of empirical data, and therefor means 100% nothing at all.

In my opinion and with all due respect...

Hi Fractal

I use manly the Class-A style Axe amps and am on FW 2 Beta 2.

In advance of the next FW ....... I presume that setting the CATH SQ to %70 [the new upcoming default] in FW 2 B2 would be the better / more-ideal starting point ?

Ben

Hi Fractal

I use manly the Class-A style Axe amps and am on FW 2 Beta 2.

In advance of the next FW ....... I presume that setting the CATH SQ to %70 [the new upcoming default] in FW 2 B2 would be the better / more-ideal starting point ?

Ben

If you deselect and then reselect the desired amp model it will load the default value. The release version of the firmware will update presets created with earlier versions to the new default values.

Hey Cliff, will the changes make any of the models a bit darker? My DC30 tones sound and feel great, just seem a bit on the dark side. Perhaps i should reselect so it fixes the default values?

Spent a few hours trying the new firmware. On my go to Plexi preset I thought I noticed a slightly higher output, but not a tremendous change in tonal character. I tried the new 1970 amp with cab #54. Bright switch off, mids and treble cranked, bass pretty low. Then the magic is finding the sweet spot between the treble drive and normal drive. Absolutely floored with the tone.

And the dynamics were better than I've ever experienced, even against a tube amp. I was shocked at how clean and pristine it could go, even with the gain up pretty high. And so many usable shades in between. I'm usually happy with 3 tones on the volume knob - pure clean on 2, low gain on 7, medium / high gain on 10. But man, I really felt like I had command over the entire range of the sweep. Kind of reminded me of some videos watching Gary Moore where he lightly tweaks the volume knob on his Les Paul in between licks. Really fun stuff.

Great job!

Hey Cliff, will the changes make any of the models a bit darker? My DC30 tones sound and feel great, just seem a bit on the dark side. Perhaps i should reselect so it fixes the default values?

Yup, the Cathode Bias value is probably wrong. The lower the value the "hotter" the tubes and the darker the sound. It's probably 50% which would cause a real amp to go up in smoke.

Think of Cathode Bias as a normalized cathode bias resistor. The smaller the resistor the higher the idle current.

Try the Plexi 100W 1970 with Factory Cab 54. Be sure to dial it in like you would in 1970, i.e. turn the Mid, Treble and Presence way up; turn Norm Drive and Bass down a bit.

I just tried the suggested amp, cab, and settings, getting me some good blues tones as well as some tones in the ball park of old aerosmith

Who want's Beta Three? I fixed the crackling Drive issue and also found that I forgot to initialize one of the feedforward filters for all the Mesa Mark models.

So something was up with the mark amps. That's all I was trying to point out, they sounded like something was wrong. Did this change better the marks?Now I probably offended someone with that statement.

Trust me, that's no way to pick up girls...

That's more a way to Chase them off a Cliff.
rimshot.gif

So something was up with the mark amps. That's all I was trying to point out, they sounded like something was wrong. Did this change better the marks?Now I probably offended someone with that statement.

Your delivery was a little off imo. But that's the problem with forums it's hard to really know the intention of the poster.

Back
Top Bottom