Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.01a Up

I finally upgraded Wednesday night and all I needed to do was add some presence or treble to my patches. They were relatively close without this.

I find things a bit smoother and sweeter. I could hear a bit of mid-tone harshness in my ver 7 patches that is now gone with 8. Very nice!

Terry.

Newbie w/ an Axe for several weeks. Just upgraded to 8.01 with no problems whatsoever. Am I correct that when new amps are added that there are NOT necessarily new presets with those amps?

Am I correct that when new amps are added that there are NOT necessarily new presets with those amps?
You are correct, sir. You don't get any addtional presets unless you load them in. Some firmware releases have new preset banks to go with them, but even then, you have to load the presets separately from the firmware.

Thanks, Ok, so then in order to audition a new amp I need to pick an existing preset, swap out the amp in that for a new one, then season to taste?

I'm still with 7 as I'm waiting for AE to be release.
For those of you already upgraded, did u face any kind of problems running AE v1.0.317 with FW8.01a (crashes, freeze etc..) ?
Thanks.

For those of you already upgraded, did u face any kind of problems running AE v1.0.317 with FW8.01a (crashes, freeze etc..) ?
Thanks.

No, everything went quite smoothly. According to what has been posted here, there should be no Axe-Edit related problems in updating the firmware. It's when you try and do other things that trouble can appear. I exited from Axe-Edit as soon as the update was complete.

Thanks.

Your presets can become corrupt if you use the current Axe Edit with 8.0a. I am waiting for the new Axe Edit to use my Axe period.

I am waiting for the new Axe Edit to use my Axe period.

Why? I have been using my Axe II for over a year without Axe Edit. It has never run on my old computer & from what I have seen, it has been a blessing in disguise as I don't have to worry about all the bugs & issues with Axe Edit. The front panel works perfectly.

Why? I have been using my Axe II for over a year without Axe Edit. It has never run on my old computer & from what I have seen, it has been a blessing in disguise as I don't have to worry about all the bugs & issues with Axe Edit. The front panel works perfectly.

Because the Axe is set up in my studio in a location I can't easily access, not for long periods of time anyway. One of the reasons I purchased the Axe 2 was so that I could have it tucked away and have access to all its controls right on my DAW monitor via Axe Edit. I had updated my firmware before I knew that Axe Edit and 8.01a do not play nice together. At least one of my presets is now shot because of Axe Edit with the latest firmware. Cliff told me not to use the Axe with Axe Edit so I won't.

"I saw a product on late night tv. It said, you can water your hard-to-reach plants with this product. Who the f would make their plants hard to reach?! I know you need water, but I'm gonna make you hard to reach. I will throw water at you. Hopefully they invent a product before you shrivel and die." - Mitch Hedberg

Thanks, Ok, so then in order to audition a new amp I need to pick an existing preset, swap out the amp in that for a new one, then season to taste?
Yep. Either that, or build a preset from scratch. You'll also want to try out a few cab sims to find out which ones work best with the amp.

Axe Edit is essential. I find it funny and a little offensive when people bag on it. The Axe FX front panel interface is very nice and functional and if it works for all of your needs that is great. People have been doing this since the first digital rack units in the late 80's. I also used to sequence on the LCD display of a keyboard workstation (the mighty Korg 01/W). When I transitioned to my first PC GUI based sequencer (Cakewalk ProAudio 9) it was a quantum leap. I use the Axe-FX as part of a computer based DAW. Axe Edit can be a little clumsy but I find it a vastly superior way to tweak presets. Excluding the volume and A/B/C/D knobs I only occasionally use the front panel interface. Like I said Axe Edit is essential. I find you can tweak deeper and faster and manage presets and IRs more easily. It is very convenient and I hope remains fully supported.

I jumped from firmware 7 to 8.01a, skipping 8.0 and I can't see the new amps.
My list ends at Princetone 2, whether I use Axe Edit or the Axe Fx panel.
No Atomica, SuperTrem or Tweed.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

You won't be able to find them in Axe edit (until the latest version is out), but you should be able to find them via the the front panel.
Make sure that 8.01a is indeed installed and if it is (you can check from the utility menu), just go to a patch, select edit amp and you should find the new models in the list.

I have found them in the Axe Panel, I guess I didn't look hard enough. :razz
Thanks for your help.

8.01a sounds awesome and Atomica High is really impressive.

Thanks.

I'm on AE 317 and FW8.01a

I did the FW upgrade via AE - went fine

been doing all my programming and preset admin via AE without issue

only had one Axe freeze, which was when I dragged a phaser block to another location in the grid..
and this is an old and well known issue so there was nothing new to report..

I know I'm about to horrifically jinx myself .. but...

everything has been working fine..

I had no serious issues with axe edit until I installed V8 and 8.01. Axe edit now is completely unusable
and crashes upon startup, tried reinstalling and deleting the setting workplace folder but to no avail.
I did notice however that there was a Windows automatic update at around the same time that I
went to V8 so cant say for sure if that really had anything to do with it. I am just using Midi-Ox
and the front panel now until there is a more stable AE.

Hi,

From what I'm reading in this thread I'm pretty sure that I can upgrade from Firmware 6.01 to 8.01a in one go but if anyone else has done this could you just confirm that my thinking is correct?

Also, thinking about the new user cabs in the firmware upgrade, do these compliment the existing pre-installed library or will they occupy some of the User slots (and by doing so delete some of the cabs that I installed?). I am assuming that they will compliment the existing library but if anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom