Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.01a Up

No, 2 separate things.

Thanks for the quick reply! But would it be safe if I edit a (self made) preset in AE if I don't store anything? That way I can make adjustments, listen to the sound, print screen, unplug the usb, switch to the next preset on the axe, get back to the preset you want to work on and save the front-adjusted preset after that on the axe... Just a thought... I always think: if I don't save anything, nothing is changed, or can AE that crual...?

Attempting to upgrade from v8 to v8.01a. Unfortunately, I can't get Axe Edit to launch without crashing since I moved from v7 to v8.

I've powered off/on the Axe, rebooted my computer, deleted the config files in the Mac library folder. I even uninstalled Axe Edit, rebooted the Mac, and reinstalled Axe Edit. It still crashes the second I launch it without my Axe II even being on.

Stumped as to which way to go next. I'm considering downgrading to v7 again if I can get Axe Edit to fire. Any suggestions?

Attempting to upgrade from v8 to v8.01a. Unfortunately, I can't get Axe Edit to launch without crashing since I moved from v7 to v8.

I've powered off/on the Axe, rebooted my computer, deleted the config files in the Mac library folder. I even uninstalled Axe Edit, rebooted the Mac, and reinstalled Axe Edit. It still crashes the second I launch it without my Axe II even being on.

Stumped as to which way to go next. I'm considering downgrading to v7 again if I can get Axe Edit to fire. Any suggestions?

Use Snoize.

I think the latest amp presets were made for V. 7.0. You do have to load them separately from Axe-Edit or the firmware, but they are on the Fractal download page. Not sure if there will be new presets for 8.0.

Keep in mind the latest Axe-Edit version available is for 7.0, not 8.01a or even 8.0, so none of the amp models added in that firmware will be available via Axe-Edit. You can only get to them from the Axe-II front panel.

Also keep in mind that Axe-Edit can be buggy at the moment, so other than downloading the update, you are better off using the front panel for editing until things get straightened out, hopefully with the official 8.01 Axe-Edit upgrade when it comes out.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm tempted to wait for Axe-EDIT to catch up, but with 5.04 on my unit, I'm missing out on some great stuff including the 'tone matching'. I suppose I can update and not use Axe-EDIT. I have Sonar to upload the firmware and latest amp-model downloads, as well as send my edited patches that have been backed up in Axe-EDIT, to the Axe II should Axe-EDIT fail (I read about some issues with the latest Axe-EDIT crashing after 8.0 update). Would loading the 7.0 amp-models overwrite my current edited patches?

Last edited:
I recorded wet and dry tracks (Mac OS X Lion/DP) no problem. Reamped DI with no issues, repeat passes were phase locked with no drift. I'm very please about this since it was a big problem for me before. Interesting to note there was 364 samples of latency when reamping. I corrected using Expert Sleeper's (free) Latency Fixer plugin.

Head still hasn't cleared due to nasty infection (hope I don't end up with permanent hearing damage) so I still can't comment on tonal changes.

I still can't get the tone match block to work (Axe-FX can't hear reference track). No one has responded to my comment on this tread or in the bugs thread. Am I the only one? I hope someone can help with this.

This seems obvious to me, but to make a point:

-Okay to upgrade Firmware with Axe Edit.
-You roll the dice on editing with non-updated Axe Edit.

Bottom line: If you edit in Axe Edit, then you ROLL THE DICE. Probably nothing will happen, but if you really feel the need, and you have a problem, please don't bother to post 'Is this a bug?' Use the front panel and have some patience for 'ready for prime time' Axe Edit.

Please.

Ron

BigJoeDaddy and anyone else trying to upgrade without using AxeEdit, section 13 or 14 of the manual tells you how to do this. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

BigJoeDaddy and anyone else trying to upgrade without using AxeEdit, section 13 or 14 of the manual tells you how to do this. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.
Really odd. I just put the manual away about 30 seconds ago after reading that section, then read your message. I'm tempted to hook up via midi and use Snoize to restore v7 which I was plenty happy with. But I'm hesitant only because I've got it working with v8.0 and I have a gig to play Saturday. I don't want to experiment with restoring a backup using Snoize and risk balling it up worse.

I think I'm gonna sit tight and wait for the Axe Edit release and the inevitable next firmware release.

Scott also reminded me of the onboard backup utility that provides the ability to back up the system and banks to the internal memory. Once I'm back up and running full speed, I'm gonna start making a habit of backing up to my computer AND the internal memory.

Really odd. I just put the manual away about 30 seconds ago after reading that section, then read your message. I'm tempted to hook up via midi and use Snoize to restore v7 which I was plenty happy with. But I'm hesitant only because I've got it working with v8.0 and I have a gig to play Saturday. I don't want to experiment with restoring a backup using Snoize and risk balling it up worse.

I think I'm gonna sit tight and wait for the Axe Edit release and the inevitable next firmware release.

Scott also reminded me of the onboard backup utility that provides the ability to back up the system and banks to the internal memory. Once I'm back up and running full speed, I'm gonna start making a habit of backing up to my computer AND the internal memory.
How do you back up to the internal memory?

How do you back up to the internal memory?

From manual:

Select the appropriate entry on the UTILITY: PRESET page and press ENTER to begin the backup or restore.

BACKUP BANK A, B or C copies a group of 128 presets to the onboard backup ROM. Bank A contains presets 0-127,
B contains 128-255, and C contains 256-383 (or 1-128, 129-256, and 257-384 when DISPLAY OFFSET is turned ON).
A meter indicates progress. It takes less than 10 seconds for a backup to complete.

BACKUP SYSTEM copies all of the system settings of the Axe-Fx II to the onboard Backup.

I hadn't been in a big rush to upgrade but finally did it today. There have been a number of times in the past where I really had to start over on my sounds after firmware updates and contemplated going backwards but today everything just seemed to click for me, thankfully.

Friedman BE came through the upgrade with flying colors. Woo-hoo!

Back
Top Bottom