Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 4.01 Up

4.0.1 is amazing. just played with it for a few hrs and im really amazed, this is probably the most impressive FW update to my ears yet.

I did notice that even when reloading the new presets, the gain for each patch seems a lot lower. However the feel and tone is so much improved, with a little tweaking, it was a non issue.

I know firmware upgrades always require re-tweaking, but I'm curious as to what changed this time that is causing the outputs to clip on all my presets. After dropping the amp block level(s) to stop the clipping (no red output LED's), my amp levels are set much lower than before (previously 3 is now at -6...).

Last edited:
Added “FAS 6160” model. This model is based on the PVH 6160 model but more open and less fizzy than the original amp. Also, a virtual choke has replaced the resistor found on the original’s power supply filter. This results in a bouncier feel.

It'll be interesting to see if actual amp makers start to make engineering choices based on FAS's models.

At that point the revolution will be complete.

Just upgraded from Ultra and had first show... wow

I was an Ultra user for the past 13 months or so, and I just got my Axe-Fx II. I had 2 days to program it for a New Year's show, and wow! I don't know how firmware 3 sounded, but w/ 4.01 it sounded amazing! My guitars have never sounded so good!!! I seriously played better than I normally would because notes sounded so good... I found myself just hanging on one note so many times and getting every bit out of it I could because my sound was so dang good!!!!! :)

I know there are a lot of metal guys out there who use the Axe-Fx, but I think it sounds amazing for blues too!

I seriously played better than I normally would because notes sounded so good... I found myself just hanging on one note so many times and getting every bit out of it I could because my sound was so dang good!!!!! :)
i experience this a lot too, and i'm not that good of a guitarist.

Not too sure whats wrong, but I dont even have a FAS 6160 in my list, and any time I throw together any kind of preset with any amp they all sound the same. Also if I load any past presets, there is no volume and I can't save it onto my Axe :/ Not entirely sure whats going wrong, even after sending the V4 patches onto the unit.

Not too sure whats wrong, but I dont even have a FAS 6160 in my list, and any time I throw together any kind of preset with any amp they all sound the same. Also if I load any past presets, there is no volume and I can't save it onto my Axe :/ Not entirely sure whats going wrong, even after sending the V4 patches onto the unit.

are you using the latest editor?

Ahh, didn't see that there was a new editor released. I'll try it out and see what happens

EDIT: Now its saying everything is excessing the CPU Usage

Last edited:
Easiest update for me thus far! I'm looking forwarding to hearing the changes this week at practice with my full rig. Sounds great through my studio monitors at home though.

Did our NYE gig 4.01 with generally good results although the sound man had to pull down 1k and 2k on most of my tones to tame the mids on what sounded decent in my room here at home. Cleans were a bit high endy too he said so back to the drawing board to retweak for me.

Everything was too gainy too so that was total user error on my part and I was on the fence regarding bringing some of that down even before I left the house. I have two more shows this coming weekend (1 club, one private party) and will see how those fare since they are totally different venues.

So I just downloaded the firmware 4.1 and shifted it over to the axe II. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with my Axe II but I'm really not seeing why everyone is heralding this as such a great thing. It sounds muddy and lacks any characteristics as far as I can hear. Is anyone else having this issue?

I didn't know 4.1 was released?

Seriously we need more info to help you. What are you playing thru FRFR, power amp, studio monitors or headphones.

4.01* typo. My set up is: Axe II>(Axe Plugged in via two 1/4" jacks) Presonus Firestudio Rack>M-Audio BX5a Monitors>2010 Macbook Pro running Logic Studio Pro 9. Before the update it sounded perfect. After it sounds very muddy, the gain sounds overly compressed, the AC30 amp sims sound boomy, overly muddy and do not break up anything like a real AC30. Much the same for the DR Z presets. The only amp sims that have been improved at least for me is the Mesa Recto stuff. The fizz that was more present in the previous firmware was part of the charm for me when it came to the more vintage/boutique amps.

Jiminy Christmas! I just sat down to (finally) update to 3.0 and lo and behold...

Thanks Cliff. ;-)

So I just downloaded the firmware 4.1 and shifted it over to the axe II. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with my Axe II but I'm really not seeing why everyone is heralding this as such a great thing. It sounds muddy and lacks any characteristics as far as I can hear. Is anyone else having this issue?
Hmmmm, so you say "it sounds muddy and lacks ANY characteristics"....
I have a suggestion for you on what may be the problem hear.....
How to Clear Clogged Ears | eHow.com
Cliff was so enlightened by your dissatisfaction, that he has reworked the power amps, just for your approval. Your improved version should be hear for you very soon. He has given it the special code name Version SAM-5.0 and comes with a voucher for a free box of Pop-Tarts at participating stores everywhere.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, so you say "it sounds muddy and lacks ANY characteristics"....
I have a suggestion for you on what may be the problem hear.....
How to Clear Clogged Ears | eHow.com
Cliff was so enlightened by your dissatisfaction, that he has reworked the power amps, just for your approval. Your improved version should be hear for you very soon. He has given it the special code name Version SAM-5.0 and comes with a voucher for a free box of Pop-Tarts at participating stores everywhere.

You are such a useful poster. Please continue.

Before the patch it sounded crystal clear and I loved it. Look at your sig. This is obviously very true of yourself.

Back
Top Bottom