Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 4.01 Up

NOTE: THIS VERSION WILL LIKELY CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

NOTE: FACTORY BANKS HAVE BEEN REDONE TO REFLECT THE CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. THE SYSEX FILES TO INSTALL THE BANKS ARE INCLUDED ALONG WITH THIS FIRMWARE.

Overhauled power amp modeling. Master Volume control is now usable over a larger range. Reduced harshness in many amp models. Most amps will sound more “open”. Adjusting the MV in existing presets is recommended for optimum results.

Added “Grid Modeling” parameter to Amp block. Turning this to OFF bypasses the grid modeling in the power amp which can reduce subjectively undesirable distortion.

Added “FAS 6160” model. This model is based on the PVH 6160 model but more open and less fizzy than the original amp. Also, a virtual choke has replaced the resistor found on the original’s power supply filter. This results in a bouncier feel.

Added Tape Echo algorithm to Delay and Multidelay blocks. This algorithm simulates a tape echo where modulation occurs due to tape speed variation. In the Delay block the algorithm is implemented as a two head monophonic tape “deck”. The Time/Tempo parameters set the distance between the record and first playback head. The Ratio parameter sets the relative distance between the record and second playback head as a percentage of the first playback head. The Multidelay block is implemented as a monophonic deck with four independent heads. See the updated manual for full details.

Fixed TEMPO R parameter affecting left time in Dual Delay.

Added Dry Delay Shift for Thru-Zero mode of Flanger. This allows moving the thru-zero point from the center (default) to the edge or anywhere in between.

Exposed Advanced Whammy Start and Stop parameters to modifier control.

Increased output level for Octave Distortion model in Drive block.

Added support for all MIDI Voice Messages when MIDI Adapter Mode is on. This allows using the MIDI ports for keyboards and other devices other than foot controllers.

Fixed Recall Effect not working in certain instances.

I make Bigger ...lol....come and get it!!!

NOTE: THIS VERSION WILL LIKELY CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

NOTE: FACTORY BANKS HAVE BEEN REDONE TO REFLECT THE CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. THE SYSEX FILES TO INSTALL THE BANKS ARE INCLUDED ALONG WITH THIS FIRMWARE.

Overhauled power amp modeling. Master Volume control is now usable over a larger range. Reduced harshness in many amp models. Most amps will sound more “open”. Adjusting the MV in existing presets is recommended for optimum results.

Added “Grid Modeling” parameter to Amp block. Turning this to OFF bypasses the grid modeling in the power amp which can reduce subjectively undesirable distortion.

Added “FAS 6160” model. This model is based on the PVH 6160 model but more open and less fizzy than the original amp. Also, a virtual choke has replaced the resistor found on the original’s power supply filter. This results in a bouncier feel.

Added Tape Echo algorithm to Delay and Multidelay blocks. This algorithm simulates a tape echo where modulation occurs due to tape speed variation. In the Delay block the algorithm is implemented as a two head monophonic tape “deck”. The Time/Tempo parameters set the distance between the record and first playback head. The Ratio parameter sets the relative distance between the record and second playback head as a percentage of the first playback head. The Multidelay block is implemented as a monophonic deck with four independent heads. See the updated manual for full details.

Fixed TEMPO R parameter affecting left time in Dual Delay.

Added Dry Delay Shift for Thru-Zero mode of Flanger. This allows moving the thru-zero point from the center (default) to the edge or anywhere in between.

Exposed Advanced Whammy Start and Stop parameters to modifier control.

Increased output level for Octave Distortion model in Drive block.

Added support for all MIDI Voice Messages when MIDI Adapter Mode is on. This allows using the MIDI ports for keyboards and other devices other than foot controllers.

Fixed Recall Effect not working in certain instances.

Frickin' AWESOME guys!!! Oh how I wish I could be by my II now!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Why ain;t version 3.5? Does it been changed the firmware code drastically to sum a major rev. version 4.xx?

Is there actually a "newer" manual than the one on the Fractal website? That one still shows Dec. 15th as last update.

I make Bigger ...lol....come and get it!!!

That part cracks me up Dojo, and thank you, the brain dead of us have trouble with small text needing an infusion of brains. Large texts allow us to thrive on less brains, which the living seem to appreciate.

Happy New Firmware, I mean year!

Last edited:
Do we need a new version of axe edit to view this? I see it on the unit menu, not on axe edit =\

Yes. You will only see it on the front face of the unit until Axe-Edit is updated. No doubt will be soon as they follow up pretty quik these days with the Axe-Edit changes to represent the current firmware.

Man ..... it sounds ..... gooder :)
New banks uploaded. Doesnt seem like any tweaking is involved anymore. Pretty much every preset is a useable and great sound.

awesome stuff, can't wait to try! I read something about the looper being updated for this FW, not this time? makes me wonder what it was!

Back
Top Bottom