Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 4.01 Up

Sorry Cliff, my bad i'd engaged the boost by accident. Was returning to delete my post, but you were toooo damn fast. Fab work on the tweaked 5150, only had chance to play with it for 5 minutes so far BUT I think you've managed to get rid of all the junk frequency i've always hated in the 5150...

Going to be updating the 5150 A/Bing thread tomorrow! :D

I've always found the 5150s a bit too fizzy and harsh. So I added some plate capacitors and reduced the feedback on some of the gain stages to loosen it up a bit. Those into super tight, massive gain might not like it but I find it more musical.

I've always found the 5150s a bit too fizzy and harsh. So I added some plate capacitors and reduced the feedback on some of the gain stages to loosen it up a bit. Those into super tight, massive gain might not like it but I find it more musical.

Have you ever thought of building a real amp? :)

I just updated this morning, and holy crap! Everything really does sound a lot fatter, better, stronger!

I am especially pleased with the FAS Modern and Das Metall tones I am getting when I bump up the MV. Whereas before it was a little wild when I'd dial them above 3.0, now they are thick, rich, and heavier with less gain noise. I am now going to try to go after the somehow elusive "awesome rectifier hi-gain tone" that a lot of guys seem to be able to just poo out of their units. For some reason, I have a hard time with those amps especially, although it could be my guitar and the way it interacts with the unit. I feel like this was just what was needed to give it a real shot! Thanks so much!

Jammed 4.0 last night at practice... and my new favorite amp sim is the New Recto Orange... that sucker KILLED!!!! Thick as f*ck, kicked up the mids slightly added some highs, gain down to about 4.0 and added a bit of presence... the result (at least in the jam room) was... WOW...

Is it just me or is everything "louder" (in a good way)? I normally default the amp sim and cycle through the amps and I normally have to crank the Axe but this time around I didn't have to crank it as much...

P.S. It could have been the New Recto Red but I really can't remember, I just remember it say New Recto xxxx (we had a very late practice yesterday)... :D

Added support for all MIDI Voice Messages when MIDI Adapter Mode is on. This allows using the MIDI ports for keyboards and other devices other than foot controllers.

Thank you Cliff!! :)

Only bummer is that Axe Edit v1.0.255 doesn't show the FAS 6160 model ....

That can be fixed if adept with a text editor you are .....

Easy to fix, just add it to the default.profile file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit 1.0\Profiles\II\ (open in notepad) - make a copy first, just in case ;)
find the section where the Amps names are and paste this over the relevant bit, or make the bold changes by hand:

<Parameter paramID="0" paramType="INT" default="0" minimum="0" maximum="75" precision="0" unit="" numVals="76" item0="59 BASSGUY" item1="65 BASSGUY" item2="VIBRATO VERB" item3="DELUXE VERB" item4="DOUBLE VERB" item5="JR BLUES" item6="CLASS-A 15W TB" item7="CLASS-A 30W" item8="CLASS-A 30W TB" item9="BRIT JM45" item10="PLEXI NORMAL" item11="PLEXI TREBLE" item12="1987X NORMAL" item13="1987X TREBLE" item14="BRIT 800" item15="BRIT 800 MOD" item16="HIPOWER NORMAL" item17="HIPOWER BRILLNT" item18="USA CLEAN 1" item19="USA CLEAN 2" item20="USA RHYTHM" item21="USA IIC+ NORM" item22="USA IIC+ BRIGHT" item23="USA LEAD 1" item24="USA LEAD 2" item25="RECTO ORANGE" item26="RECTO RED" item27="RECTO NEW ORNGE" item28="RECTO NEW RED" item29="EURO BLUE" item30="EURO RED" item31="SHIVER CLN" item32="SHIVER LD" item33="EURO UBER" item34="SOLO 99 CLEAN" item35="SOLO 100 RHY" item36="SOLO 100 LEAD" item37="FRIEDMAN BE" item38="FRIEDMAN HBE" item39="PVH 6160" item40="MR Z 38 SR" item41="CA3+ RHY" item42="CA3+ LEAD" item43="WRECKER 1" item44="CORNCOB M50" item45="CAROLANN OD-2" item46="FRYETTE D60 L" item47="FRYETTE D60 M" item48="BRIT BROWN" item49="CITRUS RV50" item50="JAZZ 120" item51="ENERGYBALL" item52="ODS-100 CLEAN" item53="ODS-100 LEAD" item54="FAS RHYTHM" item55="FAS LEAD 1" item56="FAS LEAD 2" item57="FAS MODERN" item58="DAS METALL" item59="BRIT PRE" item60="BUTTERY" item61="BOUTIQUE 1" item62="BOUTIQUE 2" item63="CAMERON CH 1" item64="CAMERON CH 2" item65="SV BASS" item66="TUBE PRE" item67="FAS BROWN" item68="BIG HAIR" item69="SOLO 99 LEAD" item70="RECTO ORG MDRN" item71="TX STAR LEAD" item72="FAS WRECK" item73="PRINCE TONE" item74="BRIT JVM" item75="FAS 6160"/>

If you are on a Mac the default.profile file is found after right-clicking on the Axe-Edit application and choosing "Show Package Contents". Did it on my Mac and viola a new amp appears!!

FractalAudio said:

I'm in love with the FAS 6160. This is the first amp that's a serious contender to replace the Friedman's as my high gain go to amp. The fizz is why I never totally embraced the amp before. It was sounding really good on some Eddie and Randy patches.

Good God man, I don't know what you did, but this thing just came ALIVE! I haven't played this good ever! The dynamics are just perfect.

Wow, this seems like a bigger jump than 2 to 3, but maybe it's just me.

Just checking in again before sleep... back from visiting family and fired her up again. The new FAS 5150 is so fecking great I could even been tempted to move on the 5150, something which i've always been very reluctant to say. Whatever magic Cliff has done to this one has made the bottom end tighter which is actually something I found the original 6160 model to fall short on- a lot of the junk has disappeared from the highs. I have a feeling even the most golden ears arent going to be able to tell the difference on a recording now. I am getting a difference in play feeling/clarity in the lower mids and possibly additional harmonics/tubes that are pumping away making for a more alive sound on the real 5150 though- if i can get a way round that its gone...

Clips coming in the next 24 hrs!!!

Last edited:
error updating firmware 4.01

error when updating firmware to 4.01?

well after trying to update many times I deleted the axe driver and axe edit software.
Then I redownloaded them both and reinstalled .
Then I was able to to update the firm ware with out a glitch.

Later on my PC would not reconize the Axe fx 2.
I deleted the driver again and reinstalled it again.

Every thing seems to be working fine now

I can't wait to get home tomorrow!!!!!!!

(and thanx for the tip on how to edit to get the FAS 6160 amp in Axe Edit ;-)

Just when I thought it couldn't sound any better. Wow. Just WOW. Playing around with a Wolfgang and tweaking factory patch #99-Brown Lead. Can't wipe the smile off my face! :)

220px-Energizer_Bunny.png

Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help...... I have installed all the updates, v4 and all 3 banks in my axe 2, problem is the FAS 5150 amp is not there, the grid modelling and dual tape delay is....i have uninstalled everything and re installed it again, still no good. at the end of my updat v4 the axe screen tells me to turn it off for 5 secs then re boot...however Axe edit tells me not to turn it off. I have tried both ways and the installing always finishes with an error, check MIDI....my midi connection is fine.

Any ideas?

Axe-edit hasn't been updated to show the new models. Manually Scroll to the end of the amp models on the unit and it should be there.

I tried the axe edit tweak suggested to get the FAS 6160 in there, didnt work though and checked over thoroughly that syntax was all correct.

Is it necessary to update the presets when updating Firmware? Do the presets already in the Axe-FX automatically adjust to reflect the changes?

Back
Top Bottom