Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

I have noticed a slight increase in gain on a couple of models but nothing requiring extreme adjustment. To be honest I'm not even bothering changing any because it's so slight. And if any of my bandmates complain about too much gain, I get to say "I haven't adjusted any of my presets in a year!" :smilingimp:

So those of you that have gone on the journey from the last Quantum firmware to the new Ares one, what are the biggest differences you’re noticing? I’m really happy with the Quantum one so just wondering what the biggest impacts have been in regards to.

If any of the models is a bit "..." i think i would be the BE c45 [ Mark Day's BE-100] (that one sounds a bit *bass heavy* The HBEc45 [2018] sounds more like the other models.. i think.
I like the HBEc45 :)

The C45 = (treble boost) on the REAL Friedman amp

Wiki says
  1. BE: based on old Marsha model, BE mode
  2. BE C45: based on Mark Day's BE-100, C45 switch engaged
  3. BE V1: based on Mark Day's BE-100, voice: right position (less mids)
  4. BE V2: based on Mark Day's BE-100, voice: left position (more mids)
  5. HBE: based on old Marsha model, HBE mode
  6. HBE 2018: based on 2018 BE-100, HBE mode
  7. HBE 2018 C45: based on 2018 BE-100, HBE mode, C45 switch engaged
  8. HBE V1: based on Mark Day's BE-100, HBE mode, voice: right position (less mids)
  9. HBE V2: based on Mark Day's BE-100, HBE mode, voice: left position (more mids)
OK I see your point, as a treble boost, ok, but...this behavior of the HBE 2018 C45 is rather different than the other "C45" modes... and I much prefer the others ! Enough difference to think it was a small bug...

Comparing to Quantum, I would say, it as "generally" (depending on amps...):
- more clarity,
- a bit more gain on the nice side (more "crunchy" I would say...)
- less bassy for some amps, making them more "living" and responsive

Exactly... There is some kind fo treble boost for the upper mids. This increase clarity. Honestly I´m thinkin about return to Quantum because I´m sick of the eternal retweak.

Exactly... There is some kind fo treble boost for the upper mids. This increase clarity. Honestly I´m thinkin about return to Quantum because I´m sick of the eternal retweak.

It’s that eternal tweaking of presets that has me on the fence about updating or not.

With the final firmware ARES 1.03 for the Axe FX II I started now doing my own presets and it seems now really easy to tweak your own tones. I loaded the HBE Factory preset and swaped the amp for HBE C45 and a few little tweaks with MV and mids. Sounds great with the Factory IR's but even better with the ML-FRMN-FREEWILLY IR from the ML Freeman Cab Pack.

Preset is in Axe Change: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6962

Personally, I'd like to hear from the preset masters like @austinbuddy and @Moke and any others that their preset packs are tweaked for this release. I'll take the plunge when they give the "all systems go". :)

Don't hold your breath :)

They're probably caught up jamming on their IIIs with this new petrucci amp ;)

Just upgraded to Ares. Not sure what happened. All presets sound awful. Bass is flubby and farty. Attack is mush. Sound is compressed and unrealistic. Gain is way too hot. Can't get a plexi to sound good, especially with master at 10. Readjusted a few presets after resetting the amp block. Improved, but still not right. Think I'll go back to Quantum, record some presets, then upgrade again to hopefully discover what I'm doing wrong. I know it's me. Anyone else had this problem, then discovered something set wrong globally? I've checked and can't find anything so far.

Back on Quantum and it sounds fine. The only thing I can think of so far is that I turned the power back on immediately after powering off when the update finished, rather than waiting five seconds. Could that screw things up?

I think one user redownloaded and reinstalled his firmware and that seemed to work for him.

What you are describing is essentially the exact OPPOSITE of what 99% of users have found with Ares, so it's likely something is wrong.

If you make a.preset with just a basic amp and cab block, does it sound right?

You can always back up your presets and do a reset as well

Back
Top Bottom