Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

Hi Scrutinizer. Lesson needed here please :). I have almost succeed to control Axe from physical Midi controller via Lemur, with the method described above by you. In my case I try to remote just preset increase button (UP arrows below SEND). The problem is that it works just one time... When I send CC22 for UP - with value 10 it sends correctly UP command from LEMUR to AXE, Axe - responds correctly, however UP button in Lemur changes from white to red and does not responds anymore, till I put it back to “white” but by touching Ipad screen.

What am I doing wrong?

It works If I set my controller to send CC with value 0 during second press of button -> then it goes back to white and responds correctly to next press of button - but that’s not the way I like it to work.
If I set my controller (FCB1010 Behringer) to send first CC22 with value 10 then immediately value 0 the Lemur and Axe does not responds at all maybe both CCs comes to quickly one after the other...

Any hint please?

Thanks once again for this excellent templates!

Hi Scrutinizer. Lesson needed here please :). I have almost succeed to control Axe from physical Midi controller via Lemur, with the method described above by you. In my case I try to remote just preset increase button (UP arrows below SEND). The problem is that it works just one time... When I send CC22 for UP - with value 10 it sends correctly UP command from LEMUR to AXE, Axe - responds correctly, however UP button in Lemur changes from white to red and does not responds anymore, till I put it back to “white” but by touching Ipad screen.

What am I doing wrong?

It works If I set my controller to send CC with value 0 during second press of button -> then it goes back to white and responds correctly to next press of button - but that’s not the way I like it to work.
If I set my controller (FCB1010 Behringer) to send first CC22 with value 10 then immediately value 0 the Lemur and Axe does not responds at all maybe both CCs comes to quickly one after the other...

Any hint please?

Thanks once again for this excellent templates!
Yeah, that won't work unless your IA switch is in momentary mode. Not sure if the FCB1010 has momentary mode for its IA switches.

As a workaround, try this: Create a script in the top level of the template, give it a descriptive name like 'remotePgUp'.
Execution: On MIDI, B0 - Control Change, Midi 2, 22 to 22, 1 to 1

Change 'Midi 2' to match the Lemur midi target you have assigned to the FCB1010.

The body of script requires only one line of code:

dlgProgChange.cKeypad.bSendUp.tap();

Thanks, I will be able to come back to this issue on next weekend. I'm pretty sure that BCB1010 has momentary mode, as it sends two the same CCs with second set to 0. But I will need to check it once again when I'm home. I'm planning to assign more remote controller functions via your Lemur template, and I do not dare to ask you to send me script each time :). It would be much simpler if I make it work with CC, I will try also with PC or Note On - maybe some of this would work.

Scrutinizer. Thanks for the response to my questions about external control of the Lemur app via CCs and the sysex recording issue. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but should in the next couple of days. That's very exciting. I have a Behringer knob/fader box I'll try to hook up, but am also curious to try that method with a DAW.

Finally took the plunge and picked up Lemur for my 1st gen iPad. Followed the directions earlier in this thread about the midi connections over WIFI for OS X Mountain Lion and everything is working seamlessly! Thanks so much to Scrutinizer for all his work on this editor. Just wow!

If anyone is interested. I have succeeded to control Axe FX via Scrutinizer's Lemur template, with the method described above. However in case of Behringer FCB1010 it’s better to use "Note On" instead of "CC". The nature of "Note On" is that it sends the programed value when button is pressed and then sends again “Note on” with value 0 when button is released - and this works with Lemur. In case of FCB1010 "CC" in momentary mode sends two CC commands immediately one after another (the second one with value 0) - and this seems to be too quick for Lemur. Anyway. I'm very happy about this new way of controlling Axe Fx, there was several things that were missing for me in standard way with limited list of already predefined CCs in Axe. Now I can even do the simple program up and down, (for some strange reason not available in simple way in Axe, I have used Bome Midi Translator in the chain till now to do this job)
Big thanks Scruntinizer for the template and MikeyB59 for the idea!! World of possibilities is open for me.

Update: Axe for Lemur v1.99b8 is released! Link is in my sig.

I think most of the bugs are worked out with my Synth block page. Hope you guys have as much fun as I am having with the new page.

IMG_0289.PNG

Here are the technical details of how the keyboard on the synth page is implemented, or should I say, what I was trying to implement. There might be subtle or not-so-subtle differences between the list below and the way the template actually works.

Synth Block Controls:

• SUSTAIN
  • OCTAVE
  • MONO / POLY
  • VOICE SELECT – 1/2/3
  • MODE – FREQ/SHIFT/PLAY
  • PLAY MODE GATE – SYX/CC
Keyboard Modes:

1. Set Frequency
    1. Mono mode – where keyboard note-down event sets the Frequency parameter of the selected voice(s)
    2. Poly mode – where each keyboard note-down sets the Frequency parameter of a single voice, selected in sequential order from the selected voice(s)
  2. Set Shift
    1. Mono mode – where keyboard note-down event sets the Shift parameter of the selected voice(s)
    2. Poly mode – where each keyboard note-down sets the Shift parameter of a single voice, selected in sequential order from the selected voice(s)
  3. Play mode
    1. Functional Details:
      1. Uses the Shift parameters of each voice to provide a 4-octave playable range
      2. The template uses one of two methods to gate audio output of each voice individually, allowing it to be played like a keyboard synth: Sysex commands adjusting V1, V2, and V3 Level parameters; or CC commands using EXT10-12 at CC25-27. I recommend using CC messages & modifiers rather than sysex. Using the AxeII front panel, assign modifiers as follows:
        1. Voice 1 Level – EXTRN 10, CC25
        2. Voice 2 Level – EXTRN 11, CC26
        3. Voice 3 Level – EXTRN 12, CC27
      3. Upon entering Play Mode, the template saves a copy of V1-V3 levels, then uses this as the ‘note-on’ level when PlayModeGATE=SYX.
      4. While in Play mode with PlayModeGATE=SYX, the V1-V3 Level faders adjust the volume of the voice, this overwrites the V1-V3 value(s) saved when entering Play mode
      5. Upon exiting Play Mode, the template restores the V1-V3 levels to the saved V1-V3 value, which might have been changed by the user
    2. Mono mode
      1. Each Note-Down event sets the Shift parameter of the selected voice(s). The selected voice(s) are made audible using the V1-V3 sysex message, or using EXT10-12 CC messages.
      2. Note-Up events, no keys held, Sustain=Off: this condition mutes the output of all selected voices.
      3. Note-Up events, no keys held, Sustain=On: this event is ignored
      4. Note-Up events, key(s) are being held, but last key pressed has been released: in this condition, the Shift parameter of the selected voice(s) is set to the lowest held note on the keyboard.
      5. Note-Up events, key(s) are being held, and the last key pressed has not been released: this event is ignored.
      6. Sustain On->Off Event, no keys held: mute all selected voices
      7. Sustain On->Off Event, some keys held: no action needed
    3. Poly mode
      1. In Polyphonic mode, each Note-Down event sets the Shift parameter of a single voice, using an available voice if possible, otherwise a voice stealing technique is used where the voice is selected in round-robin order from the pool of available voice(s). This voice is made audible using the V1-V3 sysex message, or using EXT10-12 CC messages.
      2. Note-Up events, no keys held, Sustain=Off: this condition mutes the output of all selected voices.
      3. Note-Up events, no keys held, Sustain=On: this event is ignored
      4. Note-Up events, key(s) are being held, one of the held notes has been released, Sustain=Off: Find lowest held key that is not assigned to a voice, assign this to the available voice
      5. Note-Up events, key(s) are being held, Sustain=On: ignore this event
      6. Note-Up event, key(s) are being held, none of the held notes have been released : ignore this event
      7. Sustain On->Off Event, no keys held: mute all selected voices
      8. Sustain On->Off Event, some keys held: Mute voices playing notes for keys that were released, and if this frees up a voice, assign the voice to the lowest held key that is not currently sounding.

I have it working amazingly using version 3.1.0 but i have a few questions.

When using it do we have the ability to add things in the chain? If so how or does this need to be done on the Axe fx 2?
is there a way of saving the patch on the ipad to the axe (wirelessly) or do i have to save it on the Axe (press the button)?

though i got to say it is SOO much easier than using a buggy Axe Edit on my iMac or using the front of the Axe fx 2

I have it working amazingly using version 3.1.0 but i have a few questions.

When using it do we have the ability to add things in the chain? If so how or does this need to be done on the Axe fx 2?
is there a way of saving the patch on the ipad to the axe (wirelessly) or do i have to save it on the Axe (press the button)?

though i got to say it is SOO much easier than using a buggy Axe Edit on my iMac or using the front of the Axe fx 2

Can't do layout on app. Have to save on Axe.

I plan on releasing a new version today. The new AxeII firmware changes the format of the Param Value sysex message. I was able to quickly identify the changes and got the template working soon after I loaded version 9 firmware into my AxeII.

The new template also includes support for six more blocks: Multi Band Comp, Quad Chorus, Resonator, Gate/Expander, Formant, and Ring Mod.

Here is the new version. Party like it's 1.99b9!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.1.99b9.zip

Release notes:

Dec 6, 2012
Axe for Lemur version 1.99b9

---New Features---
Support for AxeFX-II firmware version 9.00
- Added new amp types and tonestack types
- Added Pick Attack knob in amp block
- Revised script "HandleParamValMsg()" to work with new protocol

Added editor pages for the following blocks:
- MultiBand Compressor
- Gate / Expander
- Resonator
- Formant
- Quad Chorus
- Ring Mod

Template now has two groups of page select buttons at the bottom of the screen.

To reduce memory usage some blocks have been reworked to use a single set of knobs/faders/switches to control multiple sets of parameters. For example, see the Delay block Mix/Shelf/PEQ/LFO controls where the knobs and some buttons are muxed. The Reverb block was completely reworked to use 6 faders to control 26 parameters. Params are queried as needed when switching between sets.

I can't get my axe 2 and lemur talking. I had it working on my old pc but I can't get it to work on my new mac mini! I have the latest templet, the axe is set to usb adapter mode on. I can see my iPad in the lemur daemon app it says daemon input 0 receives from dads iPad lemur out 0 daemon out 0 sends to dads iPad lemur 1n 0. Lemur settings on my ipad are my mini mac daemon out 0 mini mac damon in 0. there is a option for dads ipad session 1 but that dose not work either. the tap light will not blink! any ideas?

Thanks

I can't get my axe 2 and lemur talking. I had it working on my old pc but I can't get it to work on my new mac mini! I have the latest templet, the axe is set to usb adapter mode on. I can see my iPad in the lemur daemon app it says daemon input 0 receives from dads iPad lemur out 0 daemon out 0 sends to dads iPad lemur 1n 0. Lemur settings on my ipad are my mini mac daemon out 0 mini mac damon in 0. there is a option for dads ipad session 1 but that dose not work either. the tap light will not blink! any ideas?

Thanks
Do you have the AxeFXII driver installed on the new Mac Mini?

yes I am using the the axe to as my interface I was able to update too 9 yesterday using axe edit.

thanks
You could try using MIDI Patchbay:
MIDI Patchbay

Configure MIDI Patchbay like this for use with Lemur.
midipatchbay_axeforlemur.jpg

On the iPad, in Lemur settings:
MIDI Targets
MIDI 0 | From: Daemon Output 0 | To: Daemon Input 0

Thanks Scrutinizer it all most works now the tempo light is blinking but the axe will not respond. your pic of the midi patch bay shows midi input as axe midi out mine shows axe midi in! there is no option for axe fx midi out in the pull down.

Thanks for the help

PS I moved the usb cable to a new port still now joy

Back
Top Bottom