Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

Scrutinizer

I continue to be extremely impressed with this thing. Really makes things easier. A quick question (or actually a few)

- When I change amp types, I assume i need to "re get" all the parameters? It doesn't seem like it loads them automatically.
- I assume if I change something on the Axe, the same is true (ie the communication is one way from lemur to axe)
- In the user cabs, I also assume it doesn't pull any names (other than user 1,2,3 etc)

These are more questions than issues so please don't take them any other way. It is easily becoming the most common way I use to try things out.

Awesome work my friend!!

MM
Thanks! Glad you like the template.

Yes to all three of your questions. After changing amp type, you'll need to re-get the parameters. When changing a parameter on the Axe, same is true.

The template does not pull in the user cab names, but you can easily customize the template to have it display any text you want instead of "User n". Find the following script:
AxeForLemur
-cMain
--CAB_ROT
---c1c00
----gen2DlgLabels() <<--- click on this one

Scroll down to the bottom of this script, and you see the text for each user cab type. Change it as desired, but follow the same format where the text is enclosed in single quotes, and be careful not to add or remove lines. Save the template and upload to the iPad. Boom! Custom names.

Thanks. I was reading something about holding shift to just get them but not sure I got all of that.

Any way, it is superb. The arpegiiator screen opens up a lot of possibilities.

Well done!

MM

Hey, nice job with this! I usually don't mess around with control surfaces...just do everything front panel, but this is really great! Beautiful GUI. Been fiddling with it here for several hours and it seems very stable. A few graphical glitches here and there, but nothing you can't swim out of. I can only imagine how much time you've spent on this!

Answered my own question...read the whole thread...LOL

BTW...iPad 2 here...

Last edited:
Do you think your app would be fine with the smaller screen of the IPad mini (approx 4cm less en each side than the normal iPad) ?

Do you think your app would be fine with the smaller screen of the IPad mini (approx 4cm less en each side than the normal iPad) ?
The mini has the same number of pixels as the iPad1 and 2, so I think the controls and text will show correctly, just smaller.

There are a few places in the template where the text and/or buttons are already small, so might be difficult to navigate on the smaller iPad mini screeen. If you have a mini, you might try loading one of the screen shots from earlier in this thread and zoom the image full screen to see what it might look like.

Here is the new version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.1.99b7.zip

Change Log:
Oct 29, 2012
Axe for Lemur version 1.99b7

---New Features---
Adds Multi Delay block
Adds Mega Tap Delay block
Adds Zoom button - increases Fader resolution by 10 X when zoomed
Looper block (II only) revised to take advantage of Looper status messages
Adds Looper Position indicator (II only)
Adds retry when querying parameters, enabled when incoming sysex success is >= 75%
Adds retry when adjusting controls, should help minimize instances of incomplete value text
Adds retry when querying preset name
Adds BypassMode control to most blocks
Adds Battery state-of-charge monitor
Adds Incoming Sysex 'success' monitor
Tap hold the MTX button to query preset name & bypass states
Adds support for AxeFX II firmware v9.00beta amp types and new pedal2 compressor type
Adds support for AxeFX II firmware v9.00beta Scenes using CC# 34. Template queries Bypass State after sending CC#34 message.
Adds LED to each block, which goes GREEN after querying the block. If LED is RED, the block needs to be queried.

---Changes---
Shift button is shown only when on MTX page
Rearranged layout of preset page
Delay block - Rearranged layout so Mix knob is always available
Delay block - Add buttons to adjust Motor Speed knob (semitone up, semitone down, reset to '1')
Sysex status moved to preset page, increase font size
Sysex status: adds a monitor that displays 'Remaining' params to query
Removed the left-most up/down/clear buttons on preset page, saves some memory
Removed +0.5db/-0.5db buttons from Level faders in many blocks, to save memory (use Zoom instead)
Removed units from value text above multi sliders
Increased max # of params that can be queried during a get-all, from 500 to 750
The preset name stored in favorite button is limited to first 12 characters of actual preset name
Replaced the hidden knobs with object(s) that take less memory

---Bugs, Issues---
Fixed bug: Tap-hold cmp/drv button not working correctly
Fixed bug: Unable to select Filter, Vol, PEQ, or GEQ instance
Fixed bug: Delay block 'Config' updates in main window, but does not update in dialog when changing 'Type'

Known issue: Template queries all params in a block regardless of that block's 'Type' value, slows performance when getting params of some blocks (delay, multi delay, pitch)

Known issue: Looper position indicator does not accurately show remaining loop memory during REC
Known issue: Template may not show all blocks in the preset after tapping Get All. Caused by a Lemur bug(*)
Known issue: Value text above knob or other control is sometimes incomplete. Caused by a Lemur bug(*)

(*)Known Lemur bug: Incoming sysex messages can be truncated, believe to be a timing problem. To avoid the problem, use high speed usb+wifi connection instead of slow hardware midi.

Sorry to ask such a fundamental question, but how do I get your .ZIP file into the iPad? My Mac Pro doesn't recognize your file format. Do you have a loader?

Some screen shots. Here is the new Preset page, which includes the Scene buttons:
IMG_0284.png

The Scene buttons also appear on the Matrix page:
IMG_0283.png

Don't know why I waited to experiment with the 'zoom' feature of faders in Lemur. Here's a screen shot showing Amp block with Zoom enabled. To get an idea of the level of zoom, note that the tick mark on the Level fader is 0dB and the fader is at -1.1dB. The zoom level is 10X, which means the travel length of the zoomed fader is 10 times what you see on screen. The zoom feature is automatically de-selected when switching pages in the template.
IMG_0200.png

Last edited:
Sorry to ask such a fundamental question, but how do I get your .ZIP file into the iPad? My Mac Pro doesn't recognize your file format. Do you have a loader?
The zip file contains the template (with .jzml extension), and a readme file. If you double click the file the Mac should decompress it into a folder with the same name.

My template runs on the Lemur IOS app, by Liine:
Lemur Liine

I am not affiliated with the makers of Lemur, and I am not affiliated with Fractal Audio.

One of these days, this forum is going to realize how bad-ass this editor is.

Great job Scrutinizer, awesome work ethic, consistency, timeliness, and execution!

Would love to use this but don't have an appropriate IOS device. Could one just use it in the Lemur Editor by opening the template and using it in run mode? Like pseudo-native Windows functionality via a degugging mode. Ridiculous work around, I know, but just wondering.

I'm guessing this doesn't work or else they would just have native support built in but I feel like I'm missing something.

Would love to use this but don't have an appropriate IOS device. Could one just use it in the Lemur Editor by opening the template and using it in run mode? Like pseudo-native Windows functionality via a degugging mode. Ridiculous work around, I know, but just wondering.

I'm guessing this doesn't work or else they would just have native support built in but I feel like I'm missing something.
With the template loaded, hold down the E key in the Lemur Editor and you can adjust the faders and knobs, open and close the dialogs, etc. I think this is just for user interface design (it has been useful for me). As far as I can tell, the Lemur Editor app does not send or receive midi.

This is backwards compatible to earlier iPads, not sure about the first, but it works on the second.

It works fine on a 1st gen. It probably loads faster on later versions, but once it's loaded, there's no real need for anything to be faster.

Scrutinizer - someone posted in another thread something that suddenly provoked a thought about your template. One of the things about the Axe that's different from other amp sim programs like Guitar Rig (other than the fact that the Axe sounds 1000x better) is that there's a big limit in terms of what can be assigned to continuous controllers. We have on/off for a lot of things and 12 External controllers. Cliff made it clear at some point that he doesn't want to allow CC control of some things because it might glitch the Axe due to the near real time nature of the processing and he values stability highly. This makes sense to me. What I've thought of as a workaround for ages was making Axe Edit controls with midi learn so they'd essentially be midi-sysex translators. That wouldn't require any programming in the Axe II, only in Axe Edit, which should be easier to manage I'd think, given that almost every soft synth and VST in existence has this kind of functionality.

Then I started wondering if it's possible in Lemur to have a midi input as well or instead of sysex. For instance once you had a patch loaded, if you changed the Lemur input to a midi sequencer on the Ipad, could you automate all kinds of changes? Or could you have the input be a midi output from a sequencer on the computer you're wirelessly networked to? I don't know how Lemur accommodates (or doesn't) this kind of scenario. Or is there another way to record the output data from the Lemur template, perhaps into a sequencer so that it could then be manipulated and/or played back?

Does what I'm getting at make any sense, and, if so, do you have any idea if this kind of setup would be possible with tweaks to the template?

PS As always thanks to you for your amazing work on this template. It continues to grow and evolve as a thing of wonder.

Scrutinizer - someone posted in another thread something that suddenly provoked a thought about your template. One of the things about the Axe that's different from other amp sim programs like Guitar Rig (other than the fact that the Axe sounds 1000x better) is that there's a big limit in terms of what can be assigned to continuous controllers. We have on/off for a lot of things and 12 External controllers. Cliff made it clear at some point that he doesn't want to allow CC control of some things because it might glitch the Axe due to the near real time nature of the processing and he values stability highly. This makes sense to me. What I've thought of as a workaround for ages was making Axe Edit controls with midi learn so they'd essentially be midi-sysex translators. That wouldn't require any programming in the Axe II, only in Axe Edit, which should be easier to manage I'd think, given that almost every soft synth and VST in existence has this kind of functionality.

Then I started wondering if it's possible in Lemur to have a midi input as well or instead of sysex. For instance once you had a patch loaded, if you changed the Lemur input to a midi sequencer on the Ipad, could you automate all kinds of changes? Or could you have the input be a midi output from a sequencer on the computer you're wirelessly networked to? I don't know how Lemur accommodates (or doesn't) this kind of scenario. Or is there another way to record the output data from the Lemur template, perhaps into a sequencer so that it could then be manipulated and/or played back?

Does what I'm getting at make any sense, and, if so, do you have any idea if this kind of setup would be possible with tweaks to the template?

PS As always thanks to you for your amazing work on this template. It continues to grow and evolve as a thing of wonder.
I think any DAW that can record & play sysex can be coaxed into recording the output of the template, as-is.

I'm glad you asked about controlling the template from another controller. I had not put much thought into it. Turns out it is easy, and requires no new code. Work with a copy of the template, give it a different name, since each named template could have a different CC mapping.

In the Lemur Editor, find the fader or knob you want to map to a MIDI CC
Select the knob or fader object
In Lemur editor's Mapping window, MIDI tab, use these settings:
- Target = Midi 2
- Message = B0 - Control Change
- controller = 1 to 1
- Scale = 0 to 127
- Channel = 1 to 1

Change the controller or channel as needed to match the controller that will be sending the CC messages. Repeat the process with other controls but use different CC number for each control. Upload the template to the iPad.

In the Lemur app, Settings page, MIDI Targets, tap "Add Target" once or twice if necessary to make the MIDI 2 target appear. Select one of the Lemur Daemon targets, or select the hardware controller that sends the CC messages you wish to map. Run the template. You should now be able to remotely control the knob or fader in the template.

Tested it just now w/ a BCR2000. Damn. This is cool. Not bi-directional, and knobs work in take-over mode.

Back
Top Bottom