Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

Scrutinizer

Experienced
**** Update ... here is the download link ****
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur1.99b1.zip

Looking for beta testers that own an AxeFX, iPad, and have the Lemur app.

I'm about ready to release my huge Lemur template for the AxeFX. All of the features that I wanted are complete, and everything is fully functional (as far as I can tell).

Feature set:

• Works with AxeFX Standard, Ultra, and II
  • The template provides controls for deep editing of these blocks.
    • Amp2, Amp2
    • Cab1, Cab2
    • Drive1, Drive2
    • Delay1, Delay2
    • Compressor1
    • Wah1
    • Phaser1
    • Flanger1
    • Chorus1
    • Reverb1
    • Looper (AxeFX II)
  • The "Matrix" screen has bypass buttons for all effect blocks, and includes X/Y buttons
  • Popup dialogs are provided:
    • To send Program change messages
    • To select tempo for delay block and LFOs
    • To select LFO shape
    • To configure CC numbers for AxeII looper
Some screen shots:
Here is the Amp1 editor.
amp1_tonestack.jpg

Cab1 and Cab2 editor:
cabs.jpg

Drive1 and Drive2:
drives.jpg

Compressor1 and Wah1:
comp_wah.jpg

Phaser1 and Flanger1:
phaser_flanger.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's refreshing -- it fills the entire screen with editable parameters. I've wanted that since day one and no one's designed it.

One interface idea that might free up more space:
For short-list options like MV location and tonestack location, instead of 4 buttons, maybe a single button that changes to the next option each time you press it. Might give you an extra knob or two.

Another idea: for longer list items, I don't know if a popup is possible, but it'd save a lot of space (amp voicing), and it'd save time vs the up/down button (selecting amp type).

Ipad editing makes a lot of sense and removes mousing navigation. I like it!

Srcutinzer, wow! I'll beta test for you. What do I need in terms of a MIDI interface? Can wireless be used to the PC then to AxeFx?

Since you're responsible for my purchasing Lemur, how could I turn down an offer to beta test? :)

Now that's refreshing -- it fills the entire screen with editable parameters. I've wanted that since day one and no one's designed it.

One interface idea that might free up more space:
For short-list options like MV location and tonestack location, instead of 4 buttons, maybe a single button that changes to the next option each time you press it. Might give you an extra knob or two.

Another idea: for longer list items, I don't know if a popup is possible, but it'd save a lot of space (amp voicing), and it'd save time vs the up/down button (selecting amp type).

Ipad editing makes a lot of sense and removes mousing navigation. I like it!
Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed building this template, but enjoy using it even more.

I like the idea of adding more pop up dialogs for parameters that have limited number of settings. At first I was using knobs and up/down buttons for these type of parameters. In the last week I have replaced many of the up/down buttons with button groups (e.g. Amp MV Location, Flanger Phase Reverse, Compressor Knee, etc.). But it might make more sense to have a single button that brings up a popup.

The biggest usability problem is the up/down button for items with many choices, like Amp type. Ideally Lemur would support a long popup menu list that is scrollable. Lemur has a 'menu' object, but it is extremely limited, so cannot be used for this.

In the Amp editing screen, notice the set of buttons at the lower right (Tone Stack ... Supply). These buttons select which group of controls will be visible in the area above. In this way I am fitting more than 30 controls in a space that otherwise would contain only 9 knobs. In general the template has a control for every parameter in the supported blocks.

Thanks! That area intrigued me. Great idea! PM sent.

Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed building this template, but enjoy using it even more.

I like the idea of adding more pop up dialogs for parameters that have limited number of settings. At first I was using knobs and up/down buttons for these type of parameters. In the last week I have replaced many of the up/down buttons with button groups (e.g. Amp MV Location, Flanger Phase Reverse, Compressor Knee, etc.). But it might make more sense to have a single button that brings up a popup.

The biggest usability problem is the up/down button for items with many choices, like Amp type. Ideally Lemur would support a long popup menu list that is scrollable. Lemur has a 'menu' object, but it is extremely limited, so cannot be used for this.

In the Amp editing screen, notice the set of buttons at the lower right (Tone Stack ... Supply). These buttons select which group of controls will be visible in the area above. In this way I am fitting more than 30 controls in a space that otherwise would contain only 9 knobs. In general the template has a control for every parameter in the supported blocks.

Srcutinzer, wow! I'll beta test for you. What do I need in terms of a MIDI interface? Can wireless be used to the PC then to AxeFx?
I have best luck using it with wireless and the Axe-FX II. But it should also work with wired MIDI connection. I have tested it only with my DIY iPad MIDI interface, and see no issues other than the one I mention below.

Lemur still has issues with sysex reception where the tail end of incoming sysex messages can be lost. This is most noticeable when using it with my Ultra ... in most cases Lemur is not getting the full Bypass State response message, and as a result the template is hiding the controls for blocks that it believes does not exist in the loaded preset. I have some ideas to work around this problem if necessary. But if an Axe-FX Ultra or Standard owner asked me if they should purchase Lemur so they can use my template, I would strongly recommend they wait until we have a resolution of the problem.

I will post a download link to the template later today, so everyone can join in on the fun.

Wow Scutinizer, that's really impressive and looks very ambitious. How long have you been working on this? Also, I don't have Lemur yet but I am so close and this may push me over the edge to buying it. How intuitive is Lemur to setup and use? Can you give just a brief synopsis of what went into creating this amazing looking template? What else do you use Lemur for and does it really help in your productivity for whatever use you have for it? In other words, is it definitely worth $50? Thanks so much for the great work and any advice you can give me regarding Lemur.

One think i would really love is a + and - at the top and bottom of the level slider. Would make more acurate adjustments. You just tap + to increase the level say 1db or - to decrease. I always fear that when you touch the slider the value might jump making a huge noise.

Wow Scutinizer, that's really impressive and looks very ambitious. How long have you been working on this? Also, I don't have Lemur yet but I am so close and this may push me over the edge to buying it. How intuitive is Lemur to setup and use? Can you give just a brief synopsis of what went into creating this amazing looking template? What else do you use Lemur for and does it really help in your productivity for whatever use you have for it? In other words, is it definitely worth $50? Thanks so much for the great work and any advice you can give me regarding Lemur.
Thanks for the comments. I'll try to answer some questions now, and some later.

I don't want to think about how many hours I've spent on this project. Somewhere between a hundred and a thousand hours. I do this for fun, to get the satisfaction of 'task completed', I suppose. Certainly not in it for the money, the template will be free for download, and this will be a public beta.

The other Lemur templates I've done include a template for the iPhone that uses the motion sensors to send CC messages. Fun but not very useful in real world band situation. I made a bouncy ball CC message sending template, and tried but failed to find a good use for it.

Should you purchase Lemur to test my app? Probably not unless you think you might use Lemur for other things. I am not sure if Liine will refund the purchase if you can't get the sysex to work. Check out the user library at Liine to see if there are other pre-built templates you might use. User Library – Liine

One think i would really love is a + and - at the top and bottom of the level slider. Would make more acurate adjustments. You just tap + to increase the level say 1db or - to decrease. I always fear that when you touch the slider the value might jump making a huge noise.
That would be easy to add - I have this exact feature already working for Delay Time. It would also be nice if the Level would snap to 0 dB if I tapped and held an the vicinity of the line that represents 0 dB.

Great suggestion, thanks, keep 'em coming!

Edit: See top post in thread for the download link.

Last edited:
How does Lemur communicate wirelessly with the AxeFXII? Is this using something like MIDI Bridge? You think I would be able to create a template like this for TouchOSC. I already own that app. Just not sure if it could communicate directly to the Axe without a middle man.

How does Lemur communicate wirelessly with the AxeFXII? Is this using something like MIDI Bridge? You think I would be able to create a template like this for TouchOSC. I already own that app. Just not sure if it could communicate directly to the Axe without a middle man.
For wireless: A background task called the "Lemur Daemon" runs on Mac or PC to get the MIDI data into the PC. From there I use MIDI Patchbay on my MacBook to route and merge MIDI. On the PC I would use Midi OX (and MIDI Yoke if needed) to route/merge the MIDI data.

I also have TouchOSC, but have not used it other than to run pre-made templates for controlling Ableton Live.

Great effort. Bravo!

Can't help cause I haven't got an iPad, but wish I could. Anyway, busy on my own project to enhance the MIDI control of the AXE-FX.

Back
Top Bottom