9.02 Amp Model Poll

9.02 Amp Model Poll

• I like both the clean and high-gain models better than 9.00

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
javajunkie said:
Jay Mitchell said:
I may be out of my mind, but I'm getting the distinct impression that in 9.02 the default MV setting of "5" is awfully close to the "right" setting for a non-MV amp, and that there's now quite a bit more than the stock amount of gain available in the MV section. This is from fooling with Plexi II and the Fender sims. Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this? Cliff?

I have not experienced that with the Ac30 or Dr. Z and my plexi patches are not that different, I just turn down the presence a bit.

+1. MV at 5 o´clock sounds right to me. Noon sounds kinda thin for me.

I thought perhaps that had changed with the recent firmware updates, but that post from Cliff is just last week...question answered....thanks!

I love 9.02! Fenders sound great, as well as other amps.

I do have a issue with my u2 "streets" patch after the upgrade, all that comes through is a dry amp that is very weak.
Any ideas?????

Lawjac said:

I do have a issue with my u2 "streets" patch after the upgrade, all that comes through is a dry amp that is very weak.
Any ideas?????

Re-initialize the amp block to defaults and redial. It'll take you very little time and will most likely sound better. IMHO.

Scott Peterson said:
Lawjac said:

Any ideas?????

Re-initialize the amp block to defaults and redial. It'll take you very little time and will most likely sound better. IMHO.
+1

VegaBaby said:
wezx said:
Perhaps Cliff will comment on this?
He did in this thread:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11773&p=129603#p129603

page 26 he said:

For ALL the Fender models the Master should be between 9 and 10 if you want authenticity. In general, if the original amp didn't have a master volume then pretty much dime the Master. Of course there are no rules but running a Fender with the Master below 6-7 will sound pretty thin.
It doesn't wotk with the JTM45. The JTM45 begins to break after 5 on the gain knob. If you set the master between 9-10 it breaks up to soon. With 5 it works like the real amp.

Scott Peterson said:
Lawjac said:

Any ideas?????

Sorry to ask, but how does one do that?

Also, how do you get your Axe-editor screen shots onto these pages?

kfliegner said:

To reinitialize the amp block, hold down the bypass button for 2 seconds.

As far as screen shots go, when in the editor, press shift+print screen, then open up ms paint, file - new then edit - paste. Then cut and crop as needed.

biggness said:
kfliegner said:

As far as screen shots go, when in the editor, press shift+print screen, then open up ms paint, file - new then edit - paste. Then cut and crop as needed.

Thanks; I'll have to figure out the Mac equivalent.

Karsten

biggness said:
kfliegner said:

FYI... adding Alt to the shift+print screen will get you just the active window.

Joker said:
mentoneman said:
on a more macho note, i know victor had some qt with the axe fx at steve h.'s/sah51510's crib and was pretty impressed. actually dialed up his own VH brown patch on it i think. wouldn't mind hearing that one as well....

I'm also curious whit what kind of results he came up... Vic played so many old amps and surely knows what good tone is, and if even he is impressed with this unit, it means A LOT...

Anyways, hope you'll enjoy the patch as much as I did (Thanks again Cliff!)

so after trying cliff's patch i found it to be a bit too bass heavy in my rig and the clip detailed the same basic attributes. the upper mids are pretty correct though.

here's the thing about the mojave tone...there's not a whole lot of bass, and the low mids are very articulate and balanced with the high end when you dial it in right.

the power tubes are cooking in order to get the right top end smoothness, compression, and mid roar. it is very in your face and the best amp i've ever played at being clearly heard on stage over the rest of the band at any volume.

finally the cabinet knock is the finishing stroke in order to fatten the low end. the end result is high notes have body and dynamics without being overly uniform or compressed, and chords have the chainsaw into redwood roar and grind. it's cab resonance creating the bass percussiveness, not by adding amp "bass" to the tone. that's the biggest mistake i observe in running live sound...players adding too much bass eq to create the sensation of weight and fullness. it throws off the overall balance of a tone, a mix and generates unwanted stage rumble.

to heck with that nonsense...it's why the dude i chatted with that ran sound for VH/roth/yellowjackets/carlton suggested a mixing tip of setting the high pass at 300hz and low pass at 5khz on mic'ed e.gtr channels live...might seem a little extreme but a pass filter rolls off freqs on a slope, not a straight lopping off above or beneath, so you still hear above and below the pass points, just attenuated. you wouldn't set those filters on your axe-fx preset per se, i'm talking mic'ing an amp live, to alleviate proximity effect and strident shrill top end stuff, but you get the picture.

it sets a consistent freq window by which you can work with, particularly having more of your channel eq control free to use creatively, versus using channel eq to only cut out problems.

kfliegner said:
Scott Peterson said:
Lawjac said:

Any ideas?????

Open the preset, and select the amp block. On the first page of the amp adjustment, select TYPE (i.e. it highlights when you're on it). Then press and hold the BYPASS button on the front of the AXE for a second or two. TYPE will reset to TUBE PRE, which also resets all parameters to stock.

Then re-select the amp that you actually want, and you'll see that all settings are at default for that amp. If BYPASS is still flashing, press it once to deselect it.

Can't help you with the screen shots, I'm afraid.

mentoneman said:
Joker said:
mentoneman said:
on a more macho note, i know victor had some qt with the axe fx at steve h.'s/sah51510's crib and was pretty impressed. actually dialed up his own VH brown patch on it i think. wouldn't mind hearing that one as well....

I'm also curious whit what kind of results he came up... Vic played so many old amps and surely knows what good tone is, and if even he is impressed with this unit, it means A LOT...

Anyways, hope you'll enjoy the patch as much as I did (Thanks again Cliff!)

so after trying cliff's patch i found it to be a bit too bass heavy in my rig and the clip detailed the same basic attributes. the upper mids are pretty correct though.

here's the thing about the mojave tone...there's not a whole lot of bass, and the low mids are very articulate and balanced with the high end when you dial it in right.

the power tubes are cooking in order to get the right top end smoothness, compression, and mid roar. it is very in your face and the best amp i've ever played at being clearly heard on stage over the rest of the band at any volume.

finally the cabinet knock is the finishing stroke in order to fatten the low end. the end result is high notes have body and dynamics without being overly uniform or compressed, and chords have the chainsaw into redwood roar and grind. it's cab resonance creating the bass percussiveness, not by adding amp "bass" to the tone. that's the biggest mistake i observe in running live sound...players adding too much bass eq to create the sensation of weight and fullness. it throws off the overall balance of a tone, a mix and generates unwanted stage rumble.

to heck with that nonsense...it's why the dude i chatted with that ran sound for VH/roth/yellowjackets/carlton suggested a mixing tip of setting the high pass at 300hz and low pass at 5khz on mic'ed e.gtr channels live...might seem a little extreme but a pass filter rolls off freqs on a slope, not a straight lopping off above or beneath, so you still hear above and below the pass points, just attenuated. you wouldn't set those filters on your axe-fx preset per se, i'm talking mic'ing an amp live, to alleviate proximity effect and strident shrill top end stuff, but you get the picture.

it sets a consistent freq window by which you can work with, particularly having more of your channel eq control free to use creatively, versus using channel eq to only cut out problems.

I will disagree with you just slightly, but agree with the rest. You can indeed do a high pass/low pass on the cab in your Axe-FX. it's simple. And it works. Try it!!!

I've talked about that since forever it seems to me. Talk to real FOH engineers and not the guys in the clubs. The National level guys. Seek interviews of them if you can't find any to dial up on the phone. :D

In the January 2010 issue of "Premier Guitar" they interviewed 5 FOH guys. Doug Nightwine (does sound right now for Shinedown) gave me the tip I use in the Axe-FX for a PEQ block after the cab (check any of my presets post 9.00). They high pass Shinedown at 160Hz and low pass around 5kHz. If you look at my presets, I used that as a starting place (along with the advice from Radley) to find what worked for ME and I ended up at band 1 blocking at 120Hz with a .707Q and band 5 blocking at 7106kHz with a .707Q. My signal chain is similar to amp-cab-PEQ with everything else wrapped around that, based on my own preferences.

The key is to use the PEQ to essentially 'dial' in the sonic timbre of your amp/cab combination. You don't lose anything that they won't wipe away at FOH or on the mixing desk in a mixdown. That's the key.

What guitarists hear on stage, the so-called 'raw' guitar or 'in-the-room' tone, isn't what gets through the mix anywhere but in the direct vicinity of the little sonic 'cone' that guitarists are conditioned to like.

What I do is if I am jamming alone, just bypass the PEQ. Massive bass, soaring highs. Playing live or recording? PEQ on = everything simply 'dialed in' ready to cut any mix and not shred ears even when beamed straight at your ears.

To me, that's been the absolute key of FRFR for, well, years. It's how it's done. It works. Pros know it, pros do it.

Try it. You might like it. :D

After waiting some time, I just voted "both" for 9.02
Every bigger firmware change makes it harder for me to choose and settle for an amp - as the modeling accuracy improves, the amps keep on
sounding better and more diverse, with more own character. The clean amps were better instantly but I needed some time for the high gain amps.
So after having the Recto red as my main rhythm tone since 9.00, I fell in love with the Recto orange and (once again) with the Recto New.
I've spent an hour playing the two Rectos - I couldn't decide. With both I recorded the first minute of a song to hear which one I'd like more in a
band context - both sound great on their own... :? :D

It's amazing how the black box keeps on getting better.
BIG thumbs up, Cliff!

Thanks; I'll have to figure out the Mac equivalent.
Karsten

On a Mac:
Go to your Applications/Utilities folder.
Click on 'Grab.app' (use this to capture the screen or any portion thereof).
From the 'Grab' menu bar at the top of your Mac, select 'Capture'.
From the drop down menu under Capture, I usually choose 'Selection' (this option allows you to capture a more 'specific' portion of the screen/window).
Place the mouse pointer at the 'TOP LEFT' corner of the area you wish to capture; left click & hold dragging to the BOTTOM 'RIGHT' corner then let go and let go og the mouse; the now encircled portion is captured and the 'save' window pops up. Name it what you want, click save... You're done!
Enjoy..

It's much easier and faster to just do cmd 4 (the 4 key on the main keyboard, not on the numeric keypad).
On international keyboards -like mine - you do cmd shift 4 instead.

I just changed my vote to 9.02 for both. I think I was guilty of not giving 02 enough time, and getting hung up on sticking with my go-to amp from the previous release. I'm not sure what I was thinking, because I've theoretically learned this lesson like 8 times already. So for those of you on the fence (all 11% of you) don't be afraid to start over.

Scott Peterson said:
I will disagree with you just slightly, but agree with the rest. You can indeed do a high pass/low pass on the cab in your Axe-FX. it's simple. And it works. Try it!!!

I've talked about that since forever it seems to me. Talk to real FOH engineers and not the guys in the clubs. The National level guys. Seek interviews of them if you can't find any to dial up on the phone. :D

In the January 2010 issue of "Premier Guitar" they interviewed 5 FOH guys. Doug Nightwine (does sound right now for Shinedown) gave me the tip I use in the Axe-FX for a PEQ block after the cab (check any of my presets post 9.00). They high pass Shinedown at 160Hz and low pass around 5kHz. If you look at my presets, I used that as a starting place (along with the advice from Radley) to find what worked for ME and I ended up at band 1 blocking at 120Hz with a .707Q and band 5 blocking at 7106kHz with a .707Q. My signal chain is similar to amp-cab-PEQ with everything else wrapped around that, based on my own preferences.

The key is to use the PEQ to essentially 'dial' in the sonic timbre of your amp/cab combination. You don't lose anything that they won't wipe away at FOH or on the mixing desk in a mixdown. That's the key.

What guitarists hear on stage, the so-called 'raw' guitar or 'in-the-room' tone, isn't what gets through the mix anywhere but in the direct vicinity of the little sonic 'cone' that guitarists are conditioned to like.

What I do is if I am jamming alone, just bypass the PEQ. Massive bass, soaring highs. Playing live or recording? PEQ on = everything simply 'dialed in' ready to cut any mix and not shred ears even when beamed straight at your ears.

To me, that's been the absolute key of FRFR for, well, years. It's how it's done. It works. Pros know it, pros do it.

Try it. You might like it. :D

regarding live sound i used to be a bit more conservative in using pass filters for e. gtr particularly the high pass--i used to set at 100-200max but now that i'm raising it to 300ish it really seems to improve ceratin rigs quite a bit.

now as for the axe-fx i'm not as fond of setting the high pass that high...more in the 120-150 range depending on the patch...but 5-6k LP works all day long on top and thanks again to Radley for that righteous thread about blocking filters for the axe.
but then there is the argument that if you dial your tone in properly out of the gate the pass filters can be eliminated entirely....but i dig simplicity, so getting in the ballpark and then tweaking with the PEQ works faster for me.

Back
Top Bottom