16.05 Test

I haven't been that successful getting the VH tone with the Axe Fx 2 as much as other tones which I've gotten quite close. The Only way I've done it is using one of my 68' Plexi clones, a new Metro amp which I wasn't that pleased with the tone when I first got it. I was working at the LA Amp show( for Scumback speakers) and Jim(the owner) talked to George about it, so he got Dave Friedman to mod it sort of like the Metro Friedman amp so he got rid of the fx loop and the master volume, made some internal changes and replaced the EL34's with the new version of the 6CA7 which Sylvania used to make which is looks like a 6L6 and the tone is quite close. But I'm sure that if you would have the opportunity to listen to EVH tone by being in front of the speaker, I'm quite sure it wouldn't sound the same as listening to it through the studio monitors or the recording. So when I mic my cabs and running my mic's through my TG2 preamps and API comp or SSL comp and Eq(hardware) it's quite close.
That's why with the Axe Fx 2 can make it possible to be able to get that sound live(although I haven't been successful!)

Preamp sim in Cab block seems an excellent place to me.
If it works after motor drive (and i`m sure it will), it`s a logical placement in the chain, no doubt. If it can be set off to not ad more cpu, when it`s not used, it`s totally ok - and save a slot, comparing to dedicated block.

But not only if this department will growth in the future (more preamp / channel strip EQ sims, etc.) ... i think a dedicated block will help refering to overview signal path ...

If it`s work MONO on Mono IRs ... it must be before cab room.... comparing to real world, this is not logical ..., if it`s after room verb it must be always stereo ... hmmm...

I regularly attest to the amazing support of the FAS team. I tell other musicians that I have never heard of another company that treats its customers with such a high level of appreciation and care. I am going to start adding "and Cliff can blow my doors off as a guitarist, too".

Cliff - congrats on yet another great feature to be added to the Axe Fx, and thanks for your relentless pursuit for perfecting the Axe Fx.

I made a wish list for something like this in may last year, and I'm so stocked to see you adding a channels trip to the firmware.
I completely understand your reason for putting the channels trip in the cab block, even though I'd personally like it to be a separate block.
Another item on that wish list was for Bricasti M7 "inspired" reverb improvement, and the reverb just saw a very drastic improvement - so once again - Cliff and the other guys at FAS - You rock !!!!

PS: would mind at all if you used my wish list for inspiration for other "studio classics" to add to future firmware.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...dels-hi-end-classic-outboard-studio-gear.html

It also includes "channel strip-style EQ"

Yeah man!
Although it's easy enough to put an EQ in the Grid after the Cab Block, I've always wanted more extensive EQ right in the Cab Block.
It will just make the whole process easier.

which is based on the classic Neve EQ.

Yay again!

There are two modes for the preamp modeling: Economy and High Quality. Economy mode uses less CPU, obviously. High Quality oversamples to avoid aliasing but this uses more CPU.

I gotta say that even my relatively simple routings take me just under 90% CPU these days.
Does the XL have more potential CPU power than the II?
I hope I don't have to buy an XL just to keep up.

This is sounding great and I look forward to its arrival "soon". ;) I think that with the developments in the reverb algorithms and these new preamp emulations though, the community is going to need some renewed discussion about preset DSP usage optimization. It certainly seems to be becoming a more prominent issue. Maybe a new thread with people sharing tips and tricks is in order?

Does the XL have more potential CPU power than the II?
I hope I don't have to buy an XL just to keep up.

Nope. The CPU power is the same; to be precise, the non XL version has a tiny edge CPU wise. If you don't desperately need the extra X/Y states and cab slots, the II will serve you very well for some time yet.

This is sounding great and I look forward to its arrival "soon". ;) I think that with the developments in the reverb algorithms and these new preamp emulations though, the community is going to need some renewed discussion about preset DSP usage optimization. It certainly seems to be becoming a more prominent issue. Maybe a new thread with people sharing tips and tricks is in order?

Tip number one, avoid "kitchen sink" patches. Does your patch really need a phaser AND a flanger AND a chorus AND a pitch detune AND a rotary? Unless you are Simeon or Robert Fripp, probably not :)

Just want to thank you for this great addition Cliff!!!
I started a thread a while back asking about recording the Axe II direct vs through a studio preamp. I got lots of answers on both sides of the fence. This should be a big shot in the arm for going direct.

Tip number one, avoid "kitchen sink" patches.

Yea, I was running a 'kitchen sink' preset template at ~86% CPU up until recently when some block changes I made pushed it over 90%; I simply dropped a few blocks from my main presets and created specialty/unique presets with FX I'd rarely use most of the time.

Last edited:
Some distortion AFTER the cabinet (IR) can be desirable. Indeed many producers deliberately overdrive various components in the recording chain for effect.

Cliff, that's why since Standard era I asked 4 drive block... I wish I could introduce some non linear excitement after the cabs, and before/after the delay/modulation.

Can't wait to give these new features a go.

I've always found it a bit ironic that some of the best recorded tones of all time are a glorious tube amp run into solid state distortion from mic preamps and mixing desks.

Somewhat anathema to the tube snob ethos... but sounds great :)

Back
Top Bottom