16.05 Test

do a null tonematch and export it as ir. or connect a cable fromt OUT2L to IN2L and do a IR capture from that!

it would be nice to have a "null" cab so we could use the preamp with real guitar cabinets

I've never needed one ..., but there's already one floating around somewhere ....

Start a thread asking for one and I bet you get it within a day or two ....

it would be nice to have a "null" cab so we could use the preamp with real guitar cabinets

It won't sound the same. The whole point is applying the "coloring" after the cab. A cab (or an IR of a cab) acts as a lowpass filter. An overdriven preamp then adds distortion AFTER this filter which adds high-frequency overtones. Putting it before the cab is pointless.

sounds good but why does everyone want to sound like EVH?

you cant

he's unique

also i think its a dis ervice to the AX fx that so much time is concentrated on metal tones as theres so much more music out there and the ax fx does amazing clean to breakup tones too altho you'd never know it from the wealth of metallers on the forum

pipe up all you other music lovers

you cant

he's unique

also i think its a dis ervice to the AX fx that so much time is concentrated on metal tones as theres so much more music out there and the ax fx does amazing clean to breakup tones too altho you'd never know it from the wealth of metallers on the forum

Once in a while I played in a cover bands that did V.H. songs ( didn't we all ? ) .... So having that tone in the arsneal is always a nice addition, but I could care less about cloning his tone for 100% of my style ....

That said, there's definitely something about that harmonically saturated Plexi on the verge of out of control that I just dig ....

Let me ask you ..., do you think Pete Thorn sounds like Eddie ?

He can certainly play his licks/riffs, but he's as much his own voice with the guitar as anybody ! But even he admits that the Plexi tone is the basis for a lot of what he does, and the "home base" of tone that he comes back to time after time ....

That's all it is for me too, nothing more ....

Last edited:

you cant

he's unique

I have no interest in sounding like EVH but I sure like the idea of having the same or similar tools he used so I can create my own sound. I love Neve EQs & they can be used very effectively to create clean & light breakup tones.

The simulation is part of the Cabinet block. I put it there for simplicity, otherwise you would have to make sure you panned fully L/R when using stereo cabs and the average user doesn't read the manual. So there is a stereo preamp model in the Cabinet block. It also includes "channel strip-style EQ" which is based on the classic Neve EQ.

There are two modes for the preamp modeling: Economy and High Quality. Economy mode uses less CPU, obviously. High Quality oversamples to avoid aliasing but this uses more CPU.

Thank you for this answer.

Shouldn't the cab block be renamed since there will be a lot parameters in it ? Think about newbies...

Cliff, sounds great! Did you adjust the variac on this patch at all? I dialed up this amp/cab combo last night and didn't get "it" until I dropped the variac down all the way. :)

Thanks for everything you (FAS) do!

also i think its a dis ervice to the AX fx that so much time is concentrated on metal tones...
hmm... I'm sure a Preamp sim can do wonders on many different tones. the Plexi was just an example. a Fender on the verge of breakup running through that new sim is probably even sweeter...

Everything that Cliff adds is just a tool for tone shaping. It only is limited to a particular style of tone in the mind of the user. When it's done, check it out, hear what it does. Maybe you can apply it to your tone(s) right now, maybe not, but if you remember what it does to the tone/feel then there might come a day when you are stuck and can't quite get the tone you're after. And then bam! It comes to you when you're trying to get to sleep, or in the shower or whatever, that "x" feature Cliff added 6 months ago might just do it.

Can't wait to give these new features a go.

I've always found it a bit ironic that some of the best recorded tones of all time are a glorious tube amp run into solid state distortion from mic preamps and mixing desks.

Somewhat anathema to the tube snob ethos... but sounds great :)

Don't worry about any of that...

To some degree all of that snobbery comes from a bit of "mother's milk" type of background. Meaning, the older generation grew-up with VT everywhere, and the younger generation has grown-up with mp3s and SS throughout everything. The difference is 'real' but, to some degree, negligible. I was stunned to discover that my main gigging SS amp produced a fairly close approximation to a very dynamic VT amp I built, especially when paired with my main gigging tube preamp...

Some VT topologies produce a great deal of odd-harmonics (not unlike what a SS amp would), and combining distortion artifacts from different topologies can only increase the palette of possible sounds (spectral complexity).

If it sounds good, it is good.

I forget where I saw the quote, but it was absolutely fabulous:

"Using words to describe sounds is like dancing for architecture."

It won't sound the same. The whole point is applying the "coloring" after the cab. A cab (or an IR of a cab) acts as a lowpass filter. An overdriven preamp then adds distortion AFTER this filter which adds high-frequency overtones. Putting it before the cab is pointless.

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation Cliff. I'll try it for tracking when it's released. Rad.

Back
Top Bottom