In the Spirit of NAMM Anouncements (FAS reactive load box)

If I understand correctly, the load of an attenuator only works when volume is reduced to zero. At any other setting of volume reduction, the load of the attenuator is not working. The cab will take the load. Am I right?
That's not how it works. If your amp is putting our 100 watts, and those 100 watts are all getting dumped into your cab, your cab will be at full volume. The only way to reduce the volume in your cab is to have something else take part of the power. That "something else" is the attenuator.

Whenever you have a reduction in volume, the attenuator is involved.

You can use our reactive load as an attenuator by running your amp at 4 ohms. Plug your speaker into one jack and the load into the other. Half the amp's power will go to the speaker and the other half to the load. Not a huge reduction in volume but might tame things enough so you don't piss of your neighbor/wife/GF/mother-in-law/etc.

thats another interesting idea!

So Rex, my assumption is wrong? If I set the attenuator at 50% for example, the attenuator will take 50% of the load and the real cab the rest?

Cheers!

So what you are saying is that an attenuator is a loadbox with stepped load settings, right? These devices are essentially thesame?

Ok now Im getting somewhere, thank you! So I assume the accuracy of the simulated load (in terms of technology used) becomes less relevant to the sound if i set the attenuator at low reduction settings.

Ok now Im getting somewhere, thank you! So I assume the accuracy of the simulated load (in terms of technology used) becomes less relevant to the sound if i set the attenuator at low reduction settings.
Yes.

This is very good news! If I understand correctly, the load of an attenuator only works when volume is reduced to zero. At any other setting of volume reduction, the load of the attenuator is not working. The cab will take the load. Am I right?

This would confirm my hunch. I have no technical understanding. All I know is I dont need a box for a line out, because my amp has line out built in. My conclusion is the accuracy of the simulated load (different brands, reactive versus resistive etc etc.) doesnt matter to me. Because i won't be using the simulated load. All I need to do is get an attenuator, set the volume low, and let my real cab take the load.

Even more interesting! The fx loop indeed has a level control. How do i approach this, physically connect fx out to fx in with a cable?

Cheers!

The EFX send level is on when the EFX loop is active (not bypassed). If you set it at 0 or it slowest level and turn on the EFX loop you get no sound out of amp to the speaker cab.
There is also no signal to the SLAVE OUT.

Now maybe it works different with a cable inserted. I want to read the manual closer before I mess around further with that.

The EFX send level is on when the EFX loop is active (not bypassed). If you set it at 0 or it slowest level and turn on the EFX loop you get no sound out of amp to the speaker cab.
There is also no signal to the SLAVE OUT.

Now maybe it works different with a cable inserted. I want to read the manual closer before I mess around further with that.
It makes sense that no signal when send is attenuated. What about return? As in output? I don't know where the slave takes its signal from. It used to work on my T verb.

Also if you run through a clean amp on the Axe to use the speaker resonant controls you can always send just the preamp. As in take the signal from the send rather than slave.

Last edited:
Correct, that said everything (literally) has an effect on tone, how much and if it is a bother is a different story.

So let's try it this way how much volume do you need to knock off?

Reactions: Rex
It makes sense that no signal when send is attenuated. What about return? As in output? I don't know where the slave takes its signal from. It used to work on my T verb.

Also if you run through a clean amp on the Axe to use the speaker resonant controls you can always send just the preamp. As in take the signal from the send rather than slave.

Supposedly the Slave Out takes it signal from a tap on the speaker wires so is unfiltered.
I listened to it without a Cab tonight into the Axe Fx and it sounded like a guitar signal with no cab.
Thin, fizzy,
Applied a 4x10 cab to it and it was great.
It's a really low noise floor signal.

I should just get a load box and see what happens and how it sounds then.

Supposedly the Slave Out takes it signal from a tap on the speaker wires so is unfiltered.
I listened to it without a Cab tonight into the Axe Fx and it sounded like a guitar signal with no cab.
Thin, fizzy,
Applied a 4x10 cab to it and it was great.
It's a really low noise floor signal.

I should just get a load box and see what happens and how it sounds then.
That's how a slave out should sound. Not sure what you think is gained by a load box other than the ability to shut off your speaker.

That's how a slave out should sound. Not sure what you think is gained by a load box other than the ability to shut off your speaker.

Yes, I want silent also.
I do recording and playing at night.

Obviously I can use the AXE FX II and it is amazing unit.
I like the Mesa Mark V for some things better. Just my opinion.

It's the very reason Cliff is making a loadbox I guess as people like both.

Yes, I want silent also.
I do recording and playing at night.

Obviously I can use the AXE FX II and it is amazing unit.
I like the Mesa Mark V for some things better. Just my opinion.

It's the very reason Cliff is making a loadbox I guess as people like both.
Not what I'm saying... Which was...

Your kinda misquoting me...I have no issue with using Amps and/or Axe fx.
I was saying that unless you have serious volume restrictions and cant use the cab as a load it makes little sense to use one. IMO of course

I think I am good. Found a great deal on a used Torpedo Reload a guy was not using.
Does attenuation, and also has a reactive speaker load among other things.

Thanks for the info here.

Well I need SILENT....But I really do not think I can wait fir this. I'm no kid, so as painful as it will be I have to look to something else. I posted a question and the only response I got was a link to this thread. Nice, but.............I am looking at the Rivera stuff. Torpeda just too high priced for my needs.

Well I need SILENT....But I really do not think I can wait fir this. I'm no kid, so as painful as it will be I have to look to something else. I posted a question and the only response I got was a link to this thread. Nice, but.............I am looking at the Rivera stuff. Torpeda just too high priced for my needs.
The new Torpedo Captor may be what you're after. Well priced too.

Back
Top Bottom