In the Spirit of NAMM Anouncements (FAS reactive load box)

What kind of speaker setup is the Nucleus reactive load / impedance curve emulating? I know that Suhr's reactive load is modeled after a 4x12 Greenback cab.

It sure would be an awesome feature to have different impedance curves to choose from. Hooking an amp up to a 4x12 Greenback reactive load and then using Jensen speaker IRs in the DAW doesn't sound bad, but I think it's reasonable to expect more realistic results if even the reactive load is modeled after said Jensen speaker. I assume the passive version is all analog, so choosing between different impedance curves would probably require a much bigger device that stores multiple reactive loads. Maybe that's what the new proprietary magnetic technology is all about or does it serve a different purpose?

What kind of speaker setup is the Nucleus reactive load / impedance curve emulating? I know that Suhr's reactive load is modeled after a 4x12 Greenback cab.

It sure would be an awesome feature to have different impedance curves to choose from. Hooking an amp up to a 4x12 Greenback reactive load and then using Jensen speaker IRs in the DAW doesn't sound bad, but I think it's reasonable to expect more realistic results if even the reactive load is modeled after said Jensen speaker. I assume the passive version is all analog, so choosing between different impedance curves would probably require a much bigger device that stores multiple reactive loads. Maybe that's what the new proprietary magnetic technology is all about or does it serve a different purpose?

Probably near impossible since speaker reactive loading occurs mostly in the physical domain (real resistors etc), that you can't model since getting the signal in the digital domain requires a much smaller signal to process. Not that a physical domain solution isn't possible, but the solution would require something on the order of a Rube Goldberg designed device the size of a '58 Buick Roadmaster to hold all the resistors and servos to accomplish the rearrangements for the hundreds of cabs we've already got further down the line once we get the signal in the Axe. Not that Cliff isn't up to the task, but we wouldn't see Q8 appear for another four years while he worked on the new device for his four top clients that had the roadie crew to get it onstage. Hence, a device to get the signal in front of the cab modeling in the Axe.

What's this I see? What could it be? Is it a power amp and a mini EV? (and I just bought 2 EV1's!)
Been away from the forum for a while, having a baby will do that I guess LOL

@FractalAudio: Just intellectually curious here: Are these real magnets or digital representations?
If real, are they tiny e.g. on a chip or small, rare earth or like real speaker magnets?
If too proprietary, perhaps some abstraction could be provided on the competitive differentiators on the technology developed and applied? TIA!

What's this I see? What could it be? Is it a power amp and a mini EV? (and I just bought 2 EV1's!)
Been away from the forum for a while, having a baby will do that I guess LOL
LOL

What's this I see?
What could it be?
Is it a power amp and a mini EV? (and I just bought 2 EV1's!)
Been away having a baby

...ready for a song?

Very smart. People have an emotional attachment to tube amps and there is a very real value to having physical knobs to fiddle with (ooh er...). This is an efficient way to incorporate them into the AFX ecosystem, and tempt newcomers. Yes it's just a load box, but very likely to be best load box available, backed by Fractal's reputation that even the most die-hard analog-ist can't deny. The active version will get into Two Notes territory, which they seem to have all to themselves at the moment. Nice - and when's that bloody mini-pedal coming out? I want to sell these huge heavy Missions.

Basically, it's a toaster.
Toaster ? I hope not I have a good idea to use this with the ULTRA PHONIC here.
Toaster makes me nervous lol How does your Dumble sound well toasted ?
No..

I know its not a Toaster I detect sarchasm here...
I was going to use a SUHR ISO box and try to get the IR that way
from it but to quote Austin Powers "ILL STAY"
:)

I toasted a 73 marshall once.. things went oddly silent I looked back and saw a small grey mushroom cloud come out of the top.
no worky no more.. me toast long time roasted that transformer bad caps caused that..

replaced the transformer and Traded that for a 68 plexi.. Thats sold now though..
and I DONT MISS IT EITHER..

yea baby yea..

Price ?

Hello! What is the benefit of this loadbox compared to an attenuator, such as SPL reducer?

I have a Mesa Mark V, which has a slave out for direct recording (+ using IR after recording). I could use an attenuator for silent recording, obviously connected to my real cab for the load. I dont need to use the attenuator to create a line signal.

Mesa slave out ----- Interface ---- software IR
speaker out ---attenuator---- CAB

I understand a loadbox is smaller than an attenuator + real cab, but would it make a difference in terms of sound quality? Would the amp behave differently (in terms of response to cab load) when using an attenuator? I hope Im making sense.

My guess is the attenuator would be cheaper than the FAS loadbox. And the SPL is available. So Im sure the loadbox is great, but do I really need one?

Cheers!

I think I can answer my own question...the more I attenuate the signal, the more it functions as a loadbox. And the FAS load should be better at simulating a real cab's behaviour...Am I right?

I think I can answer my own question...the more I attenuate the signal, the more it functions as a loadbox. And the FAS load should be better at simulating a real cab's behaviour...Am I right?

The load will send a line level signal that is appropriate for sending to a DAW/Mixer and use with an IR. An attenuator needs to be connected between head and cab; connecting the attenuated output to a a DAW/mixer will probably damage your equipment.

The two functions are independent of one another.

No dude, as I have explained, Im using the slave out...so I dont need a loadbox (or an attenuator) to create a line signal.

I do need one of them to silence my cab....so my question is which is the better option?

No dude, as I have explained, Im using the slave out...so I dont need a loadbox (or an attenuator) to create a line signal.

I do need one of them to silence my cab....so my question is which is the better option?

Since Tube amps require a load when operating, the load box is going to be your best bet for silent operation. No need to connect a cab that way.

Well, if I choose an attenuator, I do need to hook up my cab. So what is the differrence between the two, in technical terms?

Back
Top Bottom