Axe-Fx II Quantum 3.02 Firmware Release (3.01 We Hardly New Ye)

Well I still was having a few issues getting my presets to sound tonally the way I liked them. I started comparing firmware parameters. It appears the triode plate freq are what makes it feel and sound different along with a few other parameters. The amp I use a lot of is the usa pre ld2 red (triaxis). It appears now the frequency isn't spaced so much between the two giving a tighter sound. It's kind of funny, but I like the wrong numbers in there. To me it sounds fuller and spongy, but of course I guess not accurate. Not sure if anyone cares, but just letting everyone know for personal knowledge.

No, that's cool you posted this . That amp has also been a favorite for a long time but haven't had a chance to check it out with Q3.x

I will tonight though.

Well I still was having a few issues getting my presets to sound tonally the way I liked them. I started comparing firmware parameters. It appears the triode plate freq are what makes it feel and sound different along with a few other parameters. The amp I use a lot of is the usa pre ld2 red (triaxis). It appears now the frequency isn't spaced so much between the two giving a tighter sound. It's kind of funny, but I like the wrong numbers in there. To me it sounds fuller and spongy, but of course I guess not accurate. Not sure if anyone cares, but just letting everyone know for personal knowledge.

I can relate. My favorite amp model is the USA IIC+ BRT/DP and I keep a full list of my preferred settings for every single one of its parameters. I go through and check for any changes after installing every new firmware, whether there was supposed to have been changes made to the amp modeling or not. For instance, I've noticed over the last few firmwares that the default setting for the Triode1 Plate Freq has changed back and forth between two different values a couple of times. I prefer the sound of one over the other, so I always change the frequency back to that value when it's not the current default, regardless of whether or not it's the "wrong number".

Maybe check the speaker page Q it's lower on at least some of the models

" I think it's interesting how all of us have had perception changes over time with regards to the little black box. "

"I am really grateful to the FAS team for their continued pursuit of great tone".
While I am totally not following all the technical jargon Cliff has and the "why" behind a lot of the directions and new software performance experience, what I experience are 3 things.

1) More inspiration when writing
2) Easier to find recordable sounds that glue a mix and have plenty of 3d personality.
3) More tempting to explore.

When you are getting loads of amps in one box, you tend to be forgiving of stuff you have only dreamed about anyway. But I could swear that the stuff I hated and loved about the few tube amps I have had are, in the former, more avoidable, and in the latter, more and more and more accessible. My friend came into my studio and was, "like, everyone knows that you have to mic a guitar cabinet." When I first got into the Ultra, I was hoping to be out of that world. Yes, the sound was good and the fx were awesome. But it was like being clever and finding stuff, and isolating pretty exact settings to get what you needed. And placement in a mix was still somehow pretty difficult in some cases and with certain tones.

Now that's not true. Its harder and harder to not be tempted with a new sound, and to be faithful to the one you started with. You know, like those endless hard ons when you're fifteen.

Sorry. Someone's looking. Yes, I'm still working on the preset from yesterday. No, I didn't change it again, honest honey.

Last edited:
Great update, for me too :) I'm resetting the amps, going to another amp and and then back. In any cases I hear a a differernce.

Great Firmware. I've been taking a break from the band, for about 6 months. I'm about to start up again in June. This update is off the chain!!! I just sounds "right" to me now.

PS - don't be afraid to play with the speaker size setting in the cab block. Very subtle adjustments can yield amazing results to help you zero in on a tone.

Edit: Atomica Low, and Wrecker Rocket....um, yeah....I just soiled myself.

I can relate. My favorite amp model is the USA IIC+ BRT/DP and I keep a full list of my preferred settings for every single one of its parameters. I go through and check for any changes after installing every new firmware, whether there was supposed to have been changes made to the amp modeling or not.
Good idea. I might start doing this too, it might make redialing easier. I currently play the memory and guessing game, that sounds much more efficient.

Some times i feel new firmwares can be over hyped by enthusiastic people on this board, a bit like when a new movie gets hyped so much that it disappoints you when you see it even though you thought it was a good movie but it just didn't live to your expectations because of the hype. In this case for me this firmware version is incredible I'm truly blown away and unless any future goodies like new amps i cant resist come along i am sticking with this and never moving again. Incredible work FAS you have a customer for life

Last edited:
+1 This ^

I think this is more than just ".02". There is something else going on now, I almost feel like I'm listening to my guitar processed as Mid/Side a little bit. And all in a good way. Even with a mono Ultrares Cabinet in my preset. It just seems to "wrap around" my head, while listening with cans, in a way it never has before.

This one is monumental.

Back
Top Bottom