Axe-Fx II Quantum 3.02 Firmware Release (3.01 We Hardly New Ye)

With 3.02 I'm getting a fuzz sound in the background that seems like a higher frequency like an AM radio buzz on my high gain amps. I've tried different guitars and speakers and it's still there. It subtle but its bothering me. Anyone else have this?

Just moved from 2.00 to 3.02 on original AX2. (I was very happy with 2.0).
Nothing to report unusual, and no perceived epiphany in tone.
But glad to be caught up. The Dweezil amp is cool! My Wrecker EX is still juicy. and Fender cleans still sparkle. So I'm happy!

With 3.02 I'm getting a fuzz sound in the background that seems like a higher frequency like an AM radio buzz on my high gain amps. I've tried different guitars and speakers and it's still there. It subtle but its bothering me. Anyone else have this?
II dunno if it could be this, but I was getting some new RF interference a couple firmwares ago; it turned out to be something to do with some electronics users in my apartment building, along with some stuff I had here and the placement of it. Its frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I found some things to do, moved some stuff around, including some Wi-Fi stuff.(Long story short, running a battery backup, wifi router, and my external soundcard. Shifting these fixed it).. The culprits in the building haven't changed anything. Re-situating my gear around makes the problem inaudible except with ramping things unnaturally high. Its a shame its there at all but attempting shielding is not realistic financially or otherwise. It would be nice to know a shielding guru.

II dunno if it could be this, but I was getting some new RF interference a couple firmwares ago; it turned out to be something to do with some electronics users in my apartment building, along with some stuff I had here and the placement of it. Its frustrating to say the least. Fortunately I found some things to do, moved some stuff around, including some Wi-Fi stuff.(Long story short, running a battery backup, wifi router, and my external soundcard. Shifting these fixed it).. The culprits in the building haven't changed anything. Re-situating my gear around makes the problem inaudible except with ramping things unnaturally high. Its a shame its there at all but attempting shielding is not realistic financially or otherwise. It would be nice to know a shielding guru.
I don't think it's interference. I went back to 3.01 and I didn't hear it. It's like an extra track behind my sound of a high end buzz on top of my sound but on the background. Make sense??? Idk. Could be me but it's bothering me. It's almost a background string rattle like when your strings are too low but they aren't and I tried other guitars. I'll figure it out, I was just wondering if it was my setup or a firmware thing that others might have experienced. No worries.

I don't think it's interference. I went back to 3.01 and I didn't hear it. It's like an extra track behind my sound of a high end buzz on top of my sound but on the background. Make sense??? Idk. Could be me but it's bothering me. It's almost a background string rattle like when your strings are too low but they aren't and I tried other guitars. I'll figure it out, I was just wondering if it was my setup or a firmware thing that others might have experienced. No worries.

The modeling in 3.02 is IDENTICAL to 3.01. The ONLY difference is the mistake in the Dyn Pres control was fixed.

The modeling in 3.02 is IDENTICAL to 3.01. The ONLY difference is the mistake in the Dyn Pres control was fixed.
I'll keep toying with it. If I can't figure it out, I'll post a preset and see if anyone else hears it or if it my ears.

I can't remember what the control is under "pick attack" in the menu (comp?) but I noticed it is a recent addition. Just curious what that does and if it is a new feature or just moved from another menu?

If it makes you feel any better I get this in my house with all my guitars any time I run anything into my computer. The Axe does it as do the majority of software plugins even with the Axe powered down (so I know it is not the Axe).... I have tried different cables at the input... It is an unnaturally noisy hiss that follows a fully decayed note for high gain stuff. I have always put it down to an interface or grounding/shielding issue somewhere. Every once in a while I try to fix it and end up giving up, it's low volume, enough to never be noticed in a mix, but it is annoying once noticed when playing alone. IIRC, I can kill it with an envelope controlled LPF which makes it seem like RFI.

I can't remember what the control is under "pick attack" in the menu (comp?) but I noticed it is a recent addition. Just curious what that does and if it is a new feature or just moved from another menu?

"Compressor Clarity." Moved from another tab where there are still two other related Compressor controls, to make room for the Transformer Grind control. Usability wise...?

"Compressor Clarity." Moved from another tab where there are still two other related Compressor controls, to make room for the Transformer Grind control. Usability wise...?

Thanks! Yeah, I guess I have never really touched a lot of those settings so not even sure what they do.

Man, I have the same problem! My Hi Resonance is 6.25 and no XformGrind. The last firmwares are more trebly and the bass more smooth
Ok....just adjust!

If it makes you feel any better I get this in my house with all my guitars any time I run anything into my computer. The Axe does it as do the majority of software plugins even with the Axe powered down (so I know it is not the Axe).... I have tried different cables at the input... It is an unnaturally noisy hiss that follows a fully decayed note for high gain stuff. I have always put it down to an interface or grounding/shielding issue somewhere. Every once in a while I try to fix it and end up giving up, it's low volume, enough to never be noticed in a mix, but it is annoying once noticed when playing alone. IIRC, I can kill it with an envelope controlled LPF which makes it seem like RFI.

I get it also in Q3 but some firmware I don't... It really doesn't bother me or distract me although I thought it was a headphone issue..
Getting back to this strange high feq sound this could also be a setting in the gain structure but I don't even care the TONES I'm getting out of this AXE FX are killer

... It is an unnaturally noisy hiss that follows a fully decayed note....

So as it turns out, I'm getting some weird noises as well that I think are new. I haven't gone back to prior firmware versions to see when it started. I would describe it as a little of the above and a little of what Redd described. It's an "after-noise" that comes after a note decays, and it is like a distorted/buzzy echo. It happens for me on both clean and distorted patches, and I've narrowed it to the input noise gate. I currently use the intelligent gate, set to -60, 2.0, attack=1ms, release=1ms, 0db, auto. I get the noise when the attack and release are both set to 10ms as well. However, if I offset them - like attack=1ms, release=10 or 20ms, it seems to go away. What settings do you all use? I'd be interested in knowing if you notice the same.

As much as I love my Axe, I seem to fight with its input noise gate more than any of my other units...just not sure why. I'm guessing I'm missing something or not using it properly.

RR

Your input gate release time is the culprit.

@RafterRattler try 100ms release and go down to 20ms if the preset is really noisy.

Thanks - I'll play with it more. That said, the noise I'm getting isn't what I would consider normal amp, pickup, or line noise. It's some kind of artificial tonal feedback or after 'image', that happens even at really low volumes. I don't recall hearing it with other firmware versions...

I'll see if I can get a recording sometime tomorrow.

RR

As much as I love my Axe, I seem to fight with its input noise gate more than any of my other units...just not sure why. I'm guessing I'm missing something or not using it properly.

RR
Eliminate the variable: If you turn it off (Threshold down until it disables the Input Gate entirely), does that solve the problem?

Back
Top Bottom