Is Axe Fx Viable?

Thanks to Ola for not responding to the haters. I've seen him be active here, being hated on is not appropriate.

I've had my share of tube amps. I distinctly remember always being disappointed with my ability to get them to sound like the awesome recordings supposedly made with the same amps. I love the sound of recorded guitars. I get much more satisfaction from my AxeFx.

I've found that the key is finding the right cab sims for you. That is the main ingredient for the mix, comparable to mic selection and placement in the studio where pro's take days to get it exactly right. It's also why people are having trouble because of lack of knowledge and experience. They blame the modellers for not sounding good out of the box, but completely understand if a tech takes hours to set up in the studio. Take your time selecting your cabs in a similar manner and it will pay off in spades. Just be careful with the rabbit hole. It's extremely deep. People have gone lost in there.

Possibly that's why Ola likes his amps. They're set up exactly as he wants it, cabs and mics n' stuff. He can have his cake and eat it too. Maybe some of the haters are just turning slightly greenish. We all want a bit of that cake. Although I personally don't like metal music much.

Well it's saddening to see that people seem to know exactly how I'm thinking about something, that I have a lust for money or that I talk down on everything that's not signature gear. In that respect I don't like being talked about when people over analyze and make their own assumptions. But it's all part of the game I'm involved in and responding to it will not do anyone a favor. It's draining energy so I just don't spend any time doing it.

People who know me and have followed me know that I love gear and when you meet me I can talk gear for hours and hours. Not only signature gear, I talk EVERYTHING. I just love music and equipment. And I'm lucky enough to live in an era where guitar gear is booming really with awesome products!

Well it's saddening to see that people seem to know exactly how I'm thinking about something, that I have a lust for money or that I talk down on everything that's not signature gear. In that respect I don't like being talked about when people over analyze and make their own assumptions. But it's all part of the game I'm involved in and responding to it will not do anyone a favor. It's draining energy so I just don't spend any time doing it.

People who know me and have followed me know that I love gear and when you meet me I can talk gear for hours and hours. Not only signature gear, I talk EVERYTHING. I just love music and equipment. And I'm lucky enough to live in an era where guitar gear is booming really with awesome products!

Dude, I apologize. Seriously. What I wrote was thoughtless and mean-spirited. I'm not trying to save face here, but the very idea that I was trolling or bashing you makes me upset. Though we've never met in person, several of my friends have met you (trade shows and such) and they always sing your praises as being a great guy. Also, I really do love your playing and your videos. I wasn't making that part up.

I will say this, I have students, friends, customers, bandmates, ect that when shopping for a product will send me one of your videos and write something like "dude this sounds sick, should I buy it?"

My response is always the same: "You realize that it sounds sick because Ola knows how to play, knows how to mix, knows how to dial, and knows how to track 2-4 rhythm tracks tightly, right? He can get that tone no matter what." - I have had this exact conversation at least 6 times.

Point being, you're on top of your shit, and a lot of people try to base purchases on tones that were achieved not by a specific piece of equipment, but by your know-how - by your hard work. So . . . . metal-heads are annoying (I'm a metal-head so I feel justified in saying this).

Anyway, this isn't just for Ola but everyone on here: I belong in the dog-house over this. What I wrote wasn't cool. People shouldn't act that way on the internet (because we shouldn't act that way in person).

Anyway, thanks for being super adult. Also, thanks for all the content you provide. It's great stuff.

I think it's generally weird that ANYBODY cares so much about the opinions of other people when it comes to gear. Are we that lacking in confidence that as adults, we act like somebody else's opinion of what kit we use will somehow affect us through spooky action at a distance?

Unfortunately, I think that guys like you who are just doing their thing, get lumped in with dudes who gain their success through negativity and slamming other people for what they choose to use.

One good thing is Fractal is continuing to improve.. IMHO they are 85% the way there or better.
I've owned plenty of high-end tube amps to compare it to. I certainly would not sell my AXE if they stopped the updates

once you realize it's not a competition, only then will you realize tube or digital it matters not, what matters is creating the tone you want. The Axe FX II allows me to do this with full control and then some.

Dude, I apologize. Seriously. What I wrote was thoughtless and mean-spirited. I'm not trying to save face here, but the very idea that I was trolling or bashing you makes me upset. Though we've never met in person, several of my friends have met you (trade shows and such) and they always sing your praises as being a great guy. Also, I really do love your playing and your videos. I wasn't making that part up.

I will say this, I have students, friends, customers, bandmates, ect that when shopping for a product will send me one of your videos and write something like "dude this sounds sick, should I buy it?"

My response is always the same: "You realize that it sounds sick because Ola knows how to play, knows how to mix, knows how to dial, and knows how to track 2-4 rhythm tracks tightly, right? He can get that tone no matter what." - I have had this exact conversation at least 6 times.

Point being, you're on top of your shit, and a lot of people try to base purchases on tones that were achieved not by a specific piece of equipment, but by your know-how - by your hard work. So . . . . metal-heads are annoying (I'm a metal-head so I feel justified in saying this).

Anyway, this isn't just for Ola but everyone on here: I belong in the dog-house over this. What I wrote wasn't cool. People shouldn't act that way on the internet (because we shouldn't act that way in person).

Anyway, thanks for being super adult. Also, thanks for all the content you provide. It's great stuff.

No problem man, sorry I made myself the elephant of the room just by replying to this thread! I just didn't wanted to get quoted in a way that wasn't true.

It's strange that when I see/hear you or any accomplished player, all I see/hear is the kick ass playing. I always thought everything else comes after that :confused:. I'm pretty sure all of my favorite players consider what they are doing, before worrying about what their equipment is doing. :) but many people become fans of different things o_O

I'm with @ETOLKIEN, Ola is a great metal guitarist but a notorious endorsement whore.

Also, all of his tones sound identical no matter what he's using. (IOW all of his tones sound like a solid state Randall with the mids dimed, not necessarily a bad thing: it's what he's going for).

I enjoy Ola's videos but I find the metal community's fascination with his "tone" exhausting (I find most things about the metal community to be exhausting).
you tell 'em Franky :)

God, these forums are fun.

I can't speak to anyone else's opinion or perspective but I can relay my experience.

I spent 30 years using only tube amp's, one decade collecting vintage tube amps, and another seven or so years cycling through a wide array of boutique tube amps. I only kept as many as I was able to play through on a regular basis (I only keep things that I use).

I bought my first AxeFX (Ultra) at firmware v11.0. I had been following the AxeFX with great interest but the sound clips preceding the v11.0 release were impressive enough to me that I bought an Ultra within days of hearing those first few demo clips. Though I could clearly hear the difference between the AxeFX and my amps the gap was narrow enough that I lost interest almost immediately in all that accompanies the 'real thing' (varying wall voltage affecting the amps tone, their weight and size, the inconvenience of tubes going microphones at inopportune moments, the inconvenience and/or futility of trying to recreate the recording conditions of a track recorded during a prior session making changes / punch-ins / etc. difficult after said session, etc, etc...).

In fact I very quickly changed my perspective on what 'the real thing' means. In other words, the AxeFX Ultra took no time at all becoming the real thing for me. I put all of my amps up for sale within days of receiving my Ultra in 2010 and have never second guessed that decision (actually, I held on to an inexpensive tube combo for guests to use but it sat unused and I sold it after a while as it was only taking up space. Tube amp's still held a slight edge in tone when playing solo but in recording in playing with a live ensemble the subtle differences between an amp and the AxeFX were too subtle for me to give it thought.

I traded up to the AxeFX II at firmware v5.00 - that's when I heard enough of a difference for me to justify the cost. I have to say I'm constantly, pleasantly surprised when a new firmware brings the AxeFX II still closer to the amps being modeled. If development stopped today I would be no less satisfied. Yet development continues and the very small gap keeps getting smaller with every new firmware version. I no longer compare the AxeFX II to the modeled amps. Rather I find myself comparing the 'real' tube amp to the modeler as occasions to play through a tube amp arise and the AxeFX consistently compares favorably against what many call 'the real thing'. I can think of no sound reason why I would ever choose a tube amp over the AxeFX II.

How does the AxeFX II compare to the tube amps modeled therein? The answer at this point is: I personally don't care. The AxeFX II is the yardstick for me and amps are a poor substitute. As for the experience of others? A non-issue for me as it only matters to me what I think, how I perceive it.

That's my $0.02 :)

+ Infinity and beyond! Especially the last paragraph.

Not only can my Axe-Fx II get the amp tones I need, it can also get the FX I need too. It's so easy to record great tones too and my live Sound through FRFR cabs sounds just like my recorded sounds.

I use my Axe-Fx II to make it sound like me and make my own inspired signature sounds. I'm not trying to sound like anyone or anything else.

I'm actually doing a 20 year reunion with one of my first bands named MoodPill and the Axe-Fx II is able to reproduce all my sounds. I used to use a Korg AX30G which can make some crazy FX but the Axe-Fx II can do it all.

Thank you FAS!

I saw a video by a guy entering a competition recently who said his influences were Gilmore , some other guitarists I've never heard of and Rob Chapman. I just found it bizarre how someone could list a YouTube gear demo guy as a musical influence. Kinda like you say about Ola and his tone.
He's definitely good at what he does and well done on making a living out of it.
I think of it as a sign of the times where it seems no one listens to music the same way they used to.
Rob isn't one of my favorites by a stretch, but he's much more than just a YT demo guy....has had a pretty successful career in his part of the world as a musician/frontman for his band Dorge.

I have heard from people like Ola Englund that the Axe Fx isn't as good as real amps. But isn't tone really subjective? Personally I think that Periphery has some of the best sounding guitar tones that I've heard on an album. I haven't bad much experience with real tube amps but I really do like my Axe tones more than what I've heard from some expensive tube amps. I know people say digital is not as good but I don't exactly agree. Thoughts?

It may never be exactly the same.
But it's so close now that that doesn't really make for any lack of capability or musical usefulness from the Axe.
The Axe is so much more versatile than ANY of the amps it models that it's more likely to see the Axe as sounding better than a given amp.

Rob isn't one of my favorites by a stretch, but he's much more than just a YT demo guy....has had a pretty successful career in his part of the world as a musician/frontman for his band Dorge.

Well he runs Chapman guitars, he's in Dorge and he's the YouTube guy. Nothing wrong with any of that of course but if you asked anyone what he's known for they would say YouTube . The fact he happens to be in a band as the YouTube guy is largely the reason for their success IMO. Have they actually released an album yet? Or is it just that EP?
Never tried chapman guitars but they look like good value. It's strange though because when I see someone playing one I'm not thinking "oh they sound alright they must be good, plenty of people have them" I'm thinking "oh look he must be a Rob Chapman subscriber and a super fan because he's bought Robs signature guitar"

Internet fame is an insane thing and completely new to the world which is why I find it so baffling.
I mean, I'm even subscribed to Rob and watch loads of his videos because it's teaching me about new gear and ways to use it and what it's for. I even thought seriously about buying a Chapman guitar but yet (this is totally my opinion) I don't really like any of his playing, sometimes find him annoying/too much , dirty looking and think he's one hell of a bad singer!
The maths don't add up.

Oh Internet!
Good luck to him though he's doing a fantastic job.

Last edited:
Well he runs Chapman guitars, he's in Dorge and he's the YouTube guy. Nothing wrong with any of that of course but if you asked anyone what he's known for they would say YouTube . The fact he happens to be in a band as the YouTube guy is largely the reason for their success IMO. Have they actually released an album yet? Or is it just that EP?
Never tried chapman guitars but they look like good value. It's strange though because when I see someone playing one I'm not thinking "oh they sound alright they must be good, plenty of people have them" I'm thinking "oh look he must be a Rob Chapman subscriber and a super fan because he's bought Robs signature guitar"

Internet fame is an insane thing and completely new to the world which is why I find it so baffling.
I mean, I'm even subscribed to Rob and watch loads of his videos because it's teaching me about new gear and ways to use it and what it's for. I even thought seriously about buying a Chapman guitar but yet (this is totally my opinion) I don't really like any of his playing, sometimes find him annoying/too much , dirty looking and think he's one hell of a bad singer!
The maths don't add up.

Oh Internet!
Good luck to him though he's doing a fantastic job.
i was just saying he was a successful musician in his part of the world before he ever became internet famous. sure to some he may be better known for the YT stuff, but that's not where his credibility comes from.

I never heard chappers sing, actually. Never looked up a dorjé video. Although the dude does have some chops. And he gets loads of views. I've seen many and found them entertaining. I bet he did Andertons quite some good.

I'm wasn't trying to disrespect. I'm just saying you have to take the opinions of people that have sponsors with a grain of salt unless you know them and know they are straight shooters. Otherwise, it's like asking a guy standing next to his wife what woman he'd most like to have sex with in the world. Chances are he's going to say "My wife" unless he likes getting dick punched. Even though it could actually be a totally honest response.

i was just saying he was a successful musician in his part of the world before he ever became internet famous. sure to some he may be better known for the YT stuff, but that's not where his credibility comes from.

If your talking about England then that's also my home turf. I thought he was a guitar teacher before he started making videos on YouTube?
Mind you , if me knowing someone's name is my idea of success then I guess that's my problem eh :)

axe fx only since 4 years and no braincell seems to be thinking about switching back. Hence its a matter of personal taste. Tube amps sound great also.

Back
Top Bottom