I think Marshall are getting nervous..

take a dry signal of [big name guitarist] and reamp it through a few different sources, then please tell me that there's no significant differences.

Of course this is the case....and it's because that player did not dial in each of those amps, nor did his fingers and playing react to the tone he was hearing.

Even when he plays my amp, I think - man, it doesn't sound like that when I play it.
The corollory is that whatever amp I play, it still sounds like me. Maybe thats why I am not quite as excited as some here about new amp models in the Axe Fx. Give me any of the high gain amps (Boogie, Marshall, Diezel, Friedman, 5153 etc) and with a little bit of tweaking I can find a sound I would be very happy to gig with. Not complaining about having choice, and not saying they all sound the same, but they all sound like me...

OTOH trying to play a Dave Gilmour solo seems to be so much more authentic when using a Strat. go figure...

The AFD is the "chirpiest" model that the Axe FX II offers. If I could, I would put a ring on it and marry it! :D

The original amp, that the AFD is based on, has a nice history: SWEET MARSHALL O’ MINE?: THE UNTOLD STORY OF S.I.R. STOCK #39 | Slash's World

Can you imagine how good a Marshall has to sound to impress Slash and George Lynch the way it did? The guys at Studio Instrument Rentals (S.I.R.) refused to sell this amp, they just knew what a badass amp it was, but George was so obsessed with that particular Marshall, he even attempted to steal it! S.I.R. miraculously got it back, though.

This amp definitely deserves more recognition!

I think I'm able to get a proper Slash type tone. This is just a JCM800. The thing is that you really need a Slash esque Les Paul for that sound. That Les Paul neck pickup is just something that you can't get anywhere else. Unless Cliff creates the Axe-Axe. :D

Check this out:

I don't, but invariably someone will compare it and start a brouhaha.

firstly, i'm impressed that you can just "whip an amp up" from a schematic (!) and secondly, kudos for using the word "brouhaha". if you don't have the real amp, but it sounds good to you, then label it as a "FAS" amp and comparisons will be less likely. i think all the FAS amps are terrific and take them on their own merits.

firstly, i'm impressed that you can just "whip an amp up" from a schematic (!) and secondly, kudos for using the word "brouhaha". if you don't have the real amp, but it sounds good to you, then label it as a "FAS" amp and comparisons will be less likely. i think all the FAS amps are terrific and take them on their own merits.

HOLY WORDS !!

+1

+1 too.

I've played a real AFD100 and I can say its the only Marshall I'd really care to own. Haven't used the Brit Super or anything in the axe yet but was under the assumption it was supposed to be the AFD100 model? If not, could you put the one you whipped up in the next firmware update Cliff? If the "Slash fanboy" I know still has his AFD100, I could see if he would be willing to ship it to you for proper modeling. I mean he has every Gibson Slash sig, his sig pedals, a real EMB remote wah, the AFD100... Maybe he would even be interested in letting you model the EMB remote wah :D

agreed. Also if you get a real one to accurately model, you will not have to change this one, just add the "accurate" model.

firstly, i'm impressed that you can just "whip an amp up" from a schematic

I guess Cliff now has quite a library of digitalized components of amplifiers. With all this work done it's only a matter of putting them together. I'm no coder, but this sounds logic to me.

The components are getting closer and closer to the original with every release (at least those I had the chance to hear, I only started with fw11 or 12).

Getting those components then to actually sound like the original might be another thing, but that's what MIMIC is for right?

Maybe some day we'll all be able to just put amps together, if Cliff puts such a functionality in the Axe or a 3rd party application. But might be bad for the business model, I don't know.

mind dump finished

Back
Top Bottom