I think Marshall are getting nervous..

im totally confused. i thought the super brit was already an exact mimic of the afd100. if not then was is it? just a close guess from Cliff or?

At a guess (CLiff saying 'put the finishing touches on the models' maybe it's a case that the model is already there from the schematics and further on-hand analysis will yield subtle difference.....?

Or, that this has slightly different circuitry to the model currently in the Axe....?

Or, I could be talking out my .... All are possible! :D :D

I just made an offer on an AFD100SCE on Reverb.com. The seller accepted the offer and set me a note saying that he is selling his amps because he has an Axe-Fx XL.

So I should get the amp in a few days and be able to put the finishing touches on the models.
Awesome!

Sounds like a great guy and a loyal Fractal Audio customer... I'd send him an FX8 or a MFC-101 Mark III just for taking one for the team (the greater good) :mrgreen

Enjoy the amp Cliff (and everyone else), just leaving now to drop it off for packaging/shipping!!! Looking forward to the update when I get a little piece of my AFD100SCE back.
Awesome!
Thanks to everyone involved. :)

Thought it was funny how low that guitar player has his guitar slung in the Marshal demo, just like Slash I guess. So maybe the tone isn't in the fingers,but a bit lower down...

One thing I think a lot of people leave out of the equation when trying to match the exact tone of their heroes is that what you are listening to usually is the most natural way for them to play a particular part, and that's going to be full of little idiosyncrasies they have built up over years of playing, like we all have. So when we try to copy a solo or other part and make it sound like them, we're often not playing 'like ourselves' (like they are) we're trying to change the way we play to match someone else. So we are never in the same 'natural' mode of playing the original player is. Sort of similar I guess to how when you learn a foreign language and you try to affect the accent associated with that language, you might get close if you have good ears but you'll never get 100% because you didn't grow up speaking that way.

Anyhoo.. this is just speculation and I'm totally interested to check out more Marshal amp models, even if they get close to the Slash version at all that's pretty cool. I have a DSL 2000 half stack sitting downstairs which has a cool sound, but only when cranked and these days that's not possible for me, which is part of the reason I'm getting an XL (which is in the hands of UPS as I speak!). The other reason is that that Marshal only really has one good sound whereas the Axe will give me hundreds :) It seems to me the more versatile a valve amp is the poorer the tone sometimes, I worked in a music store and did a lot of comparisons between the DSL and TSL 2000s from Marshal (we were a dealer for the entire country so had lots of them) and the DSL just had a better tone no matter how I dialed in the TSL, I'm guessing because there were less tone circuits in the 'way'.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
One thing I think a lot of people leave out of the equation when trying to match the exact tone of their heroes is that what you are listening to usually is the most natural way for them to play a particular part, and that's going to be full of little idiosyncrasies they have built up over years of playing, like we all have. So when we try to copy a solo or other part and make it sound like them, we're often not playing 'like ourselves' (like they are) we're trying to change the way we play to match someone else. So we are never in the same 'natural' mode of playing the original player is. Sort of similar I guess to how when you learn a foreign language and you try to affect the accent associated with that language, you might get close if you have good ears but you'll never get 100% because you didn't grow up speaking that way.
ing because there were less tone circuits in the 'way'.
This is one of the clearest explanations of the limitations of comping a guitar riff that I've ever seen.

This is one of the clearest explanations of the limitations of comping a guitar riff that I've ever seen.
I agree. I have always thought this is why I have a much easier time copying some guitar players than others. I often have an easier time copying more difficult parts from certain players than easier parts from other players. I have always attributed this to my natural style being more similar to the former players than to the latter. Sometimes, even simple parts sound clinical when I play them if I am not familiar with the artist. Fortunately, it follows that the players I grew up listening to and copying are the ones who most influenced my "natural style", so I'm better at playing the music and style of the guitarists I like the most.

Last edited:
^ Satriani's style fit my personal style so much [20 years ago], that it was very easy for me to mimic his tone.

I really enjoyed it for couple of years, then when I wrote a new piece they would say : oh it is Satrianish.
It took me a good 5-6 years to actually lose his "influence" and sound like me.

He still haunts me sometimes :)

Last edited:
I often have an easier time copying more difficult parts from certain players than easier parts from other players. I have always attributed this to my natural style being more similar to the former players than to the latter.

Yeah, absolutely. I've taught guitar for a long time and when doing that I often learn parts by other guitar players and do my best to sound like them. The ones that have influenced my own style the most are the easiest for me to imitate (I favor blues/rock players most I guess) but one that I find really difficult to copy is the Edge from U2. I can dial in a similar delay setting etc but I just don't play like him, his rhythm style is really alien to the way I play (to me his strumming style is more similar to the way traditional Irish musicians play a bodhran than to how most other guitarists strum). When I was 15 I was a huge Van Halen fan and I thought U2 were boring and their music was too simplistic for me to take much interest in. I've since broadened my tastes and I really appreciate what the Edge does with really simple parts now, but I just can't copy him because it's not how I play at all.

I agree. I have always thought this is why I have a much easier time copying some guitar players than others. I often have an easier time copying more difficult parts from certain players than easier parts from other players. I have always attributed this to my natural style being more similar to the former players than to the latter. Sometimes, even simple parts sound clinical when I play them if I am not familiar with the artist. Fortunately, it follows that the players I grew up listening to and copying are the ones who most influenced my "natural style", so I'm better at playing the music and style of the guitarists I like the most.

Gotta agree with you 100%! I'm exactly the same. Also sometimes it's hard to pinpoint what's missing in a part that I can execute perfectly. I used to gig with a rock and roll band when I was 17. I was a metal player then and I wondered why the other guitarist sounded better but hadn't got my chops. Fact is, I was playing too clinically and needed to 'loosen up'. This only happened over time and over the past few years I've encountered the same thing in reverse. I last played with a young guy who was awesome technically but very 'tight' and sterile. I can sit back and grin inside, but I know deep down I'm worrying about when he discovers this and I'll feel like hanging up my guitar in defeat! ;) :D

Yeah, absolutely. I've taught guitar for a long time and when doing that I often learn parts by other guitar players and do my best to sound like them. The ones that have influenced my own style the most are the easiest for me to imitate (I favor blues/rock players most I guess) but one that I find really difficult to copy is the Edge from U2. I can dial in a similar delay setting etc but I just don't play like him, his rhythm style is really alien to the way I play (to me his strumming style is more similar to the way traditional Irish musicians play a bodhran than to how most other guitarists strum). When I was 15 I was a huge Van Halen fan and I thought U2 were boring and their music was too simplistic for me to take much interest in. I've since broadened my tastes and I really appreciate what the Edge does with really simple parts now, but I just can't copy him because it's not how I play at all.

I play the Bodhrán and I've gotta agree about the Edge's style. It's a wrist thing. Likewise, while I can play Jazz, I'd never call myself a jazz player, not because it doesn't interest me, but purely because I can't do it properly! :)

I think it took until FW10 or so on the Axe until the Marshalls were good enough to get rid of my real ones.

Back
Top Bottom