IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Thank you for your advice!
Did I understand this correctly - using any cuts on an impulse responce affects the IR itself and using a PEQ block after the cabinet affects the hole tone without destructing the IR and its natural frequency range?
Yes, a high cut (low pass filter) cuts off all the frequencies above the frequency you set it at, and a low cut (high pass filter) cuts off the frequencies south of where you set it. They're a quick way to shave off a lot of sonic information.

If you don't use any low/high cuts and use a PEQ to reduce a targeted frequency, it only affects the selected frequency and lets everything else pass through naturally.

Thank you for your advice!
Did I understand this correctly - using any cuts on an impulse responce affects the IR itself and using a PEQ block after the cabinet affects the hole tone without destructing the IR and its natural frequency range?
Both things affect the IR.

The difference is the "precision" of the method being used.

A PEQ can also be set up to do the same thing as the High and Low Cut in the Cab block, if you use the Shelving type for the high and low bands.

What's being suggested is to instead use the PEQ to make "surgical" cuts to specific frequencies bands.

Yes, a high cut (low pass filter) cuts off all the frequencies above the frequency you set it at, and a low cut (high pass filter) cuts off the frequencies south of where you set it.
Sort of. They don't actually cut all the frequencies above or below a certain point, but it knocks them back — a little bit at the frequency you you set, and more and more as you go beyond that frequency.

Sort of. They don't actually cut all the frequencies above or below a certain point, but it knocks them back — a little bit at the frequency you you set, and more and more as you go beyond that frequency.
Absolutely 100%. I was just trying to explain the gist of what cuts do in broad simple terms in case anyone isn't familiar with how they work. I wrote that while watching tv, so I probably didn't do the best job of illustrating it.

Absolutely 100%. I was just trying to explain the gist of what cuts do in broad simple terms in case anyone isn't familiar with how they work. I wrote that while watching tv, so I probably didn't do the best job of illustrating it.
No worries. You conveyed your Tended message well, as you usually do. I’ve been in some threads recently where people thought the high and low cuts were brick walls, and they didn’t understand that some highs and lows still get through. I didn’t want them to get confused by a post that hadn’t been through the detail-Nazi treatment yet.
:)

Yeah, I used my Mesa cab at rehearsals, but kept the volume on the lower side since we used in-ears for the band mix. You can use any power amp. And yes, I sent FOH my full chain with the cab block through Output 1 and sent a line from the amp block to Output 2 without the cab block going into my Mesa. Then I'd use the Global Output 2 EQ to sculpt the live cab's tone to sound pleasing for the audience in the front rows.
Did you use a Mesa OS or a "regular" size 4x12 Mesa cab?

Yeah, I used my Mesa cab at rehearsals, but kept the volume on the lower side since we used in-ears for the band mix. You can use any power amp. And yes, I sent FOH my full chain with the cab block through Output 1 and sent a line from the amp block to Output 2 without the cab block going into my Mesa. Then I'd use the Global Output 2 EQ to sculpt the live cab's tone to sound pleasing for the audience in the front rows.
First - I have transitioned to York Audio IRs exclusively - they are fantastic.
Second - can you expand on your live cab tone sculpting? I know it is a bit off topic, but it is something I have struggled with in small venues as I also like to have a cab on stage.

First - I have transitioned to York Audio IRs exclusively - they are fantastic.
Second - can you expand on your live cab tone sculpting? I know it is a bit off topic, but it is something I have struggled with in small venues as I also like to have a cab on stage.
Sure thing. As we all know, sticking your face directly in front of a speaker cab can be pretty brutal on your ears. My tones are dialed in for FOH so I know it'll sound good through the PA. For those wanting to be considerate of the people in the front rows with a cab aimed directly at their face, use the Output 2 Global EQ (assuming you're using Output 2 for your live cab) to add a little beef and cut some of the painful stuff to make it more pleasing for them.

Start at a low-moderate volume so you don't kill your ears. Sit in front of the cab, play your guitar, and make your EQ adjustments so it doesn't hurt. Start with the 4k-8k range to tame some of the piercing and abrasive frequencies. When it seems like it's in a good spot, raise the volume to gig level and see if it needs further tweaking to keep it pleasant without sounding dead.

Play some chunky palm mutes to get a feel for the low end. You can add a little 63Hz and/or 125Hz if you want to thicken it a bit more, but don't overdo it if you want to keep your speakers healthy.

Sure thing. As we all know, sticking your face directly in front of a speaker cab can be pretty brutal on your ears. My tones are dialed in for FOH so I know it'll sound good through the PA. For those wanting to be considerate of the people in the front rows with a cab aimed directly at their face, use the Output 2 Global EQ (assuming you're using Output 2 for your live cab) to add a little beef and cut some of the painful stuff to make it more pleasing for them.

Start at a low-moderate volume so you don't kill your ears. Sit in front of the cab, play your guitar, and make your EQ adjustments so it doesn't hurt. Start with the 4k-8k range to tame some of the piercing and abrasive frequencies. When it seems like it's in a good spot, raise the volume to gig level and see if it needs further tweaking to keep it pleasant without sounding dead.

Play some chunky palm mutes to get a feel for the low end. You can add a little 63Hz and/or 125Hz if you want to thicken it a bit more, but don't overdo it if you want to keep your speakers healthy.
I appreciate the insight, and that has largely been my approach as well. For additional context, are you using a very narrow Q/band, and how many dB’s are you pulling back once you find an offensive frequency? Or does it just depend?

I appreciate the insight, and that has largely been my approach as well. For additional context, are you using a very narrow Q/band, and how many dB’s are you pulling back once you find an offensive frequency? Or does it just depend?
I used the Graphic EQ, but you can use the Parametric EQ if you want to adjust specific frequencies with more control over the Q. Those settings will be different for each player depending on their cab and how they have the amp dialed in, so just use your ears to EQ the live cab the way you like it.

Thanks for sharing all of this, Justin! If I can ask; you mention that you got your tones dialed for FOH (and I assume ears as well); what kind of IR's were you using for FOH? Would you use a single mic capture, or a blend? And if a blend, what type; i.e. dynamic, ribbon, condenser, etc.? And why?

I hope you don't mind me asking all of these questions; I learn so much from these threads! :) I think this is why I want you to do a Guitar Tone Course online! hahah

Thanks for sharing all of this, Justin! If I can ask; you mention that you got your tones dialed for FOH (and I assume ears as well); what kind of IR's were you using for FOH? Would you use a single mic capture, or a blend? And if a blend, what type; i.e. dynamic, ribbon, condenser, etc.? And why?

I hope you don't mind me asking all of these questions; I learn so much from these threads! :) I think this is why I want you to do a Guitar Tone Course online! hahah
I tweak tones through studio monitors first to get a feel for what it will sound like through the PA. Then, I create an EQ curve for my in-ears to make my personal listening source more neutral and give it to our monitor guy to put on my while mix so I'm hearing the band more accurately too.

I used a 2 Amp/2 Cab set up for clean and dirty amps; panning the cab blocks hard left and right through Output 1 so FOH would have independent control over both amps.

I would switch up my IRs from tour to tour, but always used one IR for all of my dirty tones (Mesa OS), one primary IR for most cleans (usually the AC30), and occasionally one alternate Deluxe Reverb IR for grittier tones (on the clean amp).

Sometimes I'd use a Mix and sometimes I'd use a single mic. The Mix was whichever one felt the best. It could be a 57-121, 57-421, 57-160, 58-160, SM7-160, etc. A single mic was usually a 57, 58, or SM7.

Qucik question Justin...

The Mesa OS V2 pack...is the cab that it's based on straight or angled. My OCD is killing me here and I have to know. :laughing:

@York Audio , I know its not up to you regarding release dates . but can you give any further details on your Dyna Cab pack ?
just stoked to see what you came up with
The files are all done, but I might have to wait to make Mixes and update the pack later. I just got back from a family trip to Disney World, but now my daughter has Covid and I've got so much head congestion that I can barely hear. Trying to work while being terribly sick isn't fun, but I'm doing my best to finish things here on my end.

Qucik question Justin...

The Mesa OS V2 pack...is the cab that it's based on straight or angled. My OCD is killing me here and I have to know. :laughing:
It's a straight cab. Hopefully you can put your OCD at ease... for now. :)

It's a straight cab. Hopefully you can put your OCD at ease... for now. :)
I was hoping you'd say that. Might be something to consider putting on the product page to appease weirdos like me? lol

I've been using the Recto Large SIC for years because at the time, the Recto Straight SIC sounded weird with a comically large low-end bump. A while back, they changed the curve entirely and now it sounds WAY better than Recto Large, whatever that one is supposed to be.

Long story short, if you haven't tried the Recto Straight SIC in the last year or so, boy are you in for a treat.

I was hoping you'd say that. Might be something to consider putting on the product page to appease weirdos like me? lol

I've been using the Recto Large SIC for years because at the time, the Recto Straight SIC sounded weird with a comically large low-end bump. A while back, they changed the curve entirely and now it sounds WAY better than Recto Large, whatever that one is supposed to be.

Long story short, if you haven't tried the Recto Straight SIC in the last year or so, boy are you in for a treat.
Well, just tested positive for Covid. I'll check out that curve when my hearing comes back and everything doesn't sound like it's going through a Metal Zone.

I checked my impedance curve measurements for the Mesa OS and Trad cabs. The OS looked like Recto Straight, but the low resonance was around 100Hz. The Trad was closer to Recto Large with low resonance around 103Hz. Might need to measure them again to confirm, but that's what I have in my SIC measurements folder.

Well, just tested positive for Covid. I'll check out that curve when my hearing comes back and everything doesn't sound like it's going through a Metal Zone.

I checked my impedance curve measurements for the Mesa OS and Trad cabs. The OS looked like Recto Straight, but the low resonance was around 100Hz. The Trad was closer to Recto Large with low resonance around 103Hz. Might need to measure them again to confirm, but that's what I have in my SIC measurements folder.
Feel better man, hope it's not too bad.
Have you had covid before?
Has your daughter?
How old is she roughly?

Back
Top Bottom