IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I found this discussion about hi-cuts very intresting, so this is my opinion as an amateur guitar player :
I used to hicut around at 7000-8500 on almost every preset when I had an Axe-Fx II. With FM3 I usually don't cut hi frequencies at all. However without any cutting I feel I have little harsh so I hicut around 6000-8000 in the cab preamp section. This helps me to get rid of all unpleasant sound but save all the air. It seems like preamp section cuts the sound more gently.

Reactions: mtb
I just revisited my patches and got rid of all cuts as you say. After re dialing i had my first band practice last night since doing so. My tone cut so good it was crazy! I run the board for us at practice and generally the other guitar player and I are within a db of each other on the faders. Last night i had to boost the other guitar players fader and lower mine by a few db's. Nothing with the gain staging or overall preset volumes changed between either of us. (I asked her to make sure her sounds were the same since last practice.) I also kept a version of my old sounds with cuts so i could A B during parts of songs live. The new tones with zero cutting had way more percieved volume. Preset leveling tool was used on everything to make sure it was as close as i can get it too. Maybe i'm crazy but i really did seem to make a big difference for my tones. What make the most since to me was when Justin commented and said when mic'ing our real amps and cabs most don't slap a high/low cut at 80/8k as a starting point. Its mic'ed and THEN adjusted. Makes alot of since to me at least!
Thanks for sharing your experience! Really looking forward to try it myself with my band. Sadly we all have been busy and have not been able to do it so far, but I'll even try to remove both low and high for rehearsal and re-add them if necessary next time with play through a PA (or just let the tech to do it as he would with a real amp/cab). Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time and treating rehearsal like recording and in the process losing the "live" amp sound with all the "studio like" over tweaking.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Really looking forward to try it myself with my band. Sadly we all have been busy and have not been able to do it so far, but I'll even try to remove both low and high for rehearsal and re-add them if necessary next time with play through a PA (or just let the tech to do it as he would with a real amp/cab). Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time and treating rehearsal like recording and in the process losing the "live" amp sound with all the "studio like" over tweaking.

Thats totally what i did. Over tweak and over analyze everything. I should add that i still use low cut in the cab block. I go 18db slope and anywhere from 80-100hz. Still plenty of lowend but it does clean it up. Also i'm playing in some lower tunings so that plays a role. But the highcut is wide open at 20k.

I found this discussion about hi-cuts very intresting, so this is my opinion as an amateur guitar player :
I used to hicut around at 7000-8500 on almost every preset when I had an Axe-Fx II. With FM3 I usually don't cut hi frequencies at all. However without any cutting I feel I have little harsh so I hicut around 6000-8000 in the cab preamp section. This helps me to get rid of all unpleasant sound but save all the air. It seems like preamp section cuts the sound more gently.
Your post seems to contradict itself... Cutting at the IR slot or in the Cab preamp is the same result assuming you're using the same settings (and not doing it in both places).

I just revisited my patches and got rid of all cuts as you say. After re dialing i had my first band practice last night since doing so. My tone cut so good it was crazy!

That's great news. What re-dialing did you do, and was that at home on studio monitors? Did you simply aim for the same sound bit with no cuts to your IRs?

That's great news. What re-dialing did you do, and was that at home on studio monitors? Did you simply aim for the same sound bit with no cuts to your IRs?

I reset all my amp block channels and started with everything at noon. I only adjusted on the main tabs so no deep parameters. I have a Splawn Quickrod and i also use that in the fractal. I haven't played the amp in months. I dialed in tones on studio monitors around 85-90db so decently loud. (I also checked on my EV Pxm 12 a bit louder than that) When i was finished i ended up looking at my real amp and the settings were almost identical to how i dial my amp "in the room." I didn't reference the old tone until finished because i didn't want to skew my ears/judgement. I ended up around:

Splawn QR OD1-3
Gain: 6
Bass: 3
Middle: 3
Treble: 6.5
Presence: 6.5
MV: 2.5

All settings 0-10 not clock or time positions.

I reset all my amp block channels and started with everything at noon. I only adjusted on the main tabs so no deep parameters. I have a Splawn Quickrod and i also use that in the fractal. I haven't played the amp in months. I dialed in tones on studio monitors around 85-90db so decently loud. (I also checked on my EV Pxm 12 a bit louder than that) When i was finished i ended up looking at my real amp and the settings were almost identical to how i dial my amp "in the room." I didn't reference the old tone until finished because i didn't want to skew my ears/judgement. I ended up around:

Splawn QR OD1-3
Gain: 6
Bass: 3
Middle: 3
Treble: 6.5
Presence: 6.5
MV: 2.5

All settings 0-10 not clock or time positions.
What cab(s)?

Fascinating thread....

I'm another player who's systematically cut at at least 8K ever since reading threads in the past that suggested to do so, and I also have some pretty harsh cuts on the top end of my output EQ. We play through our own PA and my tone is good, although at times needs a good few db of boost to be heard in the mix - quite possibly because some of those higher frequencies that cut through just aren't there? Whilst I like the idea of using our ears and that there are no rules, this thread has made me realise that I do have a tendency set the BMT in the amp block at what seem to be the "right" settings (for example 4, 6 & 5) and never at the extremes, so I've never experimented as @York Audio has suggested and had them as low or high as they need to be to get a tone that's pleasing to my ears, even if that means 0 or 10.

Time to revisit some of my patches, lose the hi cut and get creative with the amp settings!
You'll have to let us know how this works out for you and if you found any "surprising" settings that made an amp speak to you.

I just revisited my patches and got rid of all cuts as you say. After re dialing i had my first band practice last night since doing so. My tone cut so good it was crazy! I run the board for us at practice and generally the other guitar player and I are within a db of each other on the faders. Last night i had to boost the other guitar players fader and lower mine by a few db's. Nothing with the gain staging or overall preset volumes changed between either of us. (I asked her to make sure her sounds were the same since last practice.) I also kept a version of my old sounds with cuts so i could A B during parts of songs live. The new tones with zero cutting had way more percieved volume. Preset leveling tool was used on everything to make sure it was as close as i can get it too. Maybe i'm crazy but i really did seem to make a big difference for my tones. What make the most since to me was when Justin commented and said when mic'ing our real amps and cabs most don't slap a high/low cut at 80/8k as a starting point. Its mic'ed and THEN adjusted. Makes alot of since to me at least!
That's awesome to hear! I'll keep preaching my motto "treat the Axe like a real rig and it will sound like a real rig." I'm so glad you found your tone come alive by preserving the natural character of the amp, cab, and mic-up!

However without any cutting I feel I have little harsh so I hicut around 6000-8000 in the cab preamp section. This helps me to get rid of all unpleasant sound but save all the air. It seems like preamp section cuts the sound more gently.
The high/low cut in the cab's preamp page is essentially a "master" cut that affects all four IR slots and works the same way as the individual cuts in each IR slot (which was actually one of my old wish list items meant to make any necessary cuts for a single IR rather than applying the cut to IRs that didn't need it).

Using a high cut between 6k-8k will chop off the amp/cab's natural top end air and your tone will lose the vibrant energy that makes it come alive. Try turning the high cut off and using a PEQ block after the cab to gently tame ONLY the frequency range that bugs you. This will help your guitar speak more clearly without losing its natural character.

Definitely start with your cuts turned off and dial in the amp accordingly. A low cut between 80-100Hz is perfectly normal to clean up the low end though. Whether you're recording or playing live, you'll get the best results by not using any default/go-to high cuts and simply tweaking your M, T, and P knobs to get the top end character that feels right in context with the band.

It would be a good idea to play some familiar well-recorded music through your PA at gig volume to hear the character the PA is imparting on your tone. If the music sounds boomy in the low end, boxy/honky in the mids, brash in the upper-mids, or overly sibilant in the top end, EQ the PA so it sounds natural and pleasing in those frequency ranges and THEN play with the band. Now you can make any necessary tonal adjustments to help your guitar sit in the mix the way you want.

Remember, if your listening source (PA, monitors, headphones, etc.) isn't tuned to be neutral, it's going to skew your perception of what you're feeding it and lead to making more aggressive tonal adjustments to compensate for the added character the source is imparting on your tone. So tune your source and your tones should translate nicely from gig to gig.

Using a high cut between 6k-8k will chop off the amp/cab's natural top end air and your tone will lose the vibrant energy that makes it come alive. Try turning the high cut off and using a PEQ block after the cab to gently tame ONLY the frequency range that bugs you. This will help your guitar speak more clearly without losing its natural character.
This ^^^ right here. Set up a PEQ band with medium-high Q and 10dB of boost and sweep it from 5k up until you find the frequency you hate, the zero the gain on that band and cut a littl until it smooths out (sorry, Mini Me, no EEEEEE for you!). Repeat a couple times with other PEQ bands - sometimes there is more than one obnoxious icepick frequency up there....

This ^^^ right here. Set up a PEQ band with medium-high Q and 10dB of boost and sweep it from 5k up until you find the frequency you hate, the zero the gain on that band and cut a littl until it smooths out (sorry, Mini Me, no EEEEEE for you!). Repeat a couple times with other PEQ bands - sometimes there is more than one obnoxious icepick frequency up there....
I think in Chris Baseford’s recent live he says he will make 3 or 4 cuts max
Sometimes 1 or 2 , Sometimes none
And I think he has pretty good ears

Using a high cut between 6k-8k will chop off the amp/cab's natural top end air
I always meant to ask a probably stupid question - how much of the top end info is generated by CAB and, basically, where does it really come from?
I mean, freq charts show rapid fall off of high end above 6K for most speakers - so how come we actually have a lot more high end information after the cab?

@York Audio I have question regarding your Bogna 4x12 Pack (that I love!).

You recommend using the 4x12 Euro (Bogner) impedance curve with it that of course makes total sense but I find that curve has a way lower volume (or at least perceived) or sounds flatter than any other 4x12 Impedance Curve in the FM3.

The Mesa 4x12 straight IC sounds massive (playing solo) compared with the Euro IC that makes sense looking at the curve as it has boosted lows and highs, but I have tried other IC with similar visual curves to the Euro and them all sound a little louder. Of course I can just raise all my patches volume to compensate but is there any logical explanation? I'm asking you as I think I read that you were the one providing that curve to Fractal along others.

It's even easier if you use the frequency solo (S1-S5 buttons for the band you're tweaking) to sweep for the offending frequency and adjust the Q for how broad or surgical you want to be with your cut. You can do this at low volume to save yourself from ear fatigue. Then un-solo the band, turn the volume up, and make your cut.

Once you've found the area, you might only need to take it down a dB or two to tame the area without altering your tone too much.

I always meant to ask a probably stupid question - how much of the top end info is generated by CAB and, basically, where does it really come from?
I mean, freq charts show rapid fall off of high end above 6K for most speakers - so how come we actually have a lot more high end information after the cab?
The top end information in an accurate and unprocessed IR is what is naturally coming from the speaker cabinet and how sensitive the microphone is to that frequency range. Even though a speaker may have a 70Hz-5kHz frequency range, it isn't a brick wall drop off on either side of that window... there's information south of 70Hz and information north of 5k. The cabinet and speaker configuration also plays a major role in how those frequencies are enhanced or diminished.

For instance, most condenser microphones are highly sensitive and "hear" a lot of top end information; while ribbon mics tend to have less sensitivity in that area and don't pick up nearly as much top end... kind of like how children can hear higher frequencies that older people can't. If the top end frequencies north of 6k weren't present, the condenser microphone wouldn't register any information beyond 6k.

Here's a graph and some specs for a V30 I got from the Celestion website. You can see the frequency drop off quickly after 5k, but you'll also see spikes around 9.5k and 18k. They won't be as audible as the aggressive 2-4k area, but you can still see that there's measurable energy in those places that the microphone picked up in a 20Hz-20k sweep.

Attachments

• IMG_9811.jpeg
    IMG_9811.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 26
@York Audio I have question regarding your Bogna 4x12 Pack (that I love!).

You recommend using the 4x12 Euro (Bogner) impedance curve with it that of course makes total sense but I find that curve has a way lower volume (or at least perceived) or sounds flatter than any other 4x12 Impedance Curve in the FM3.

The Mesa 4x12 straight IC sounds massive (playing solo) compared with the Euro IC that makes sense looking at the curve as it has boosted lows and highs, but I have tried other IC with similar visual curves to the Euro and them all sound a little louder. Of course I can just raise all my patches volume to compensate but is there any logical explanation? I'm asking you as I think I read that you were the one providing that curve to Fractal along others.
The 4x12 Euro impedance curve was taken from my Bogner 4x12, so that would be the most accurate option for the Bogna IRs.

The 4x12 Recto Straight curve has more low end and more top end than the 4x12 Euro, which is why it sounds louder. Just use the curve that sounds best to you and adjust your patch volume if necessary. :)

The top-end info is generated by the Amp, not the Cab. The Cab can only pass or reduce what the Amp sends it.

The top-end info is generated by the Amp, not the Cab. The Cab can only pass or reduce what the Amp sends it.
This is clear, no questions about that.
What I was confused about is why this information passes through guitar speakers which (in my mind before Justin explained it) were almost filters with very little high end information. I played with cuts in cab blocks a lot and was always confused how come we have so much brightness after the cab. Now I have an explanation :)

What I was confused about is why this information passes through guitar speakers which (in my mind before Justin explained it) were almost filters with very little high end information. I played with cuts in cab blocks a lot and was always confused how come we have so much brightness after the cab. Now I have an explanation :)
Understood.

The response curve is not squared off. More of a slope than a wall. When they say "70-5k" they mean something more like this:
70 5k /-------------------------\ / \ __________/ \____
rather than this:
70 5k |-------------------------| | | ____________| |________

The high/low cut in the cab's preamp page is essentially a "master" cut that affects all four IR slots and works the same way as the individual cuts in each IR slot (which was actually one of my old wish list items meant to make any necessary cuts for a single IR rather than applying the cut to IRs that didn't need it).

Thank you for your advice!
Did I understand this correctly - using any cuts on an impulse responce affects the IR itself and using a PEQ block after the cabinet affects the hole tone without destructing the IR and its natural frequency range?

Back
Top Bottom