IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
thing i'm just now thinking of that seems handy: would it be possible to get a reference list of SIC + low res freq recommendations for each pack in one post (or even the OP)? i find i end up keeping those floating around ambiently in the ol noggin for the packs i've purchased or i come back here and go looking for the corresponding release post and scan around till i find em

A real Matchless C-30 (DC-30 is the combo and HC-30 is the head, mine is an original C-30 head from '93) is a wildly versatile amp. I can get sparkling clean tones, gritty EoB, rude mid-gain, and some unexpectedly incredible high gain tones my metal-producing friend is obsessed with. I've only compared it to the model with clean and EoB tones so far, but will try the higher gain stuff when I get a chance.

Have you updated to the new 27.00 beta FW? It brings back the "snap" and feels a lot more like my amp now and fixes some of the characteristics you mentioned.

For the tone I talked about, I'm using an '88 Jazzmaster with Curtis Novak pickups for a gritty/cleanish thing on the neck pickup. I always dial in Class-A amps by starting with the settings I mentioned above, adjusting gain to taste, and then fine-tuning the Bass and Treble controls for the guitar I'm using. A Tele can sound massive through that amp. So can a Les Paul, but I have to lower the bass to keep it from getting too loose at higher gain levels.

Your tone will fall apart if you're using higher output pickups. If you are, try using the amp's input EQ and start bringing up the low cut to get rid of the stuff that's pushing the amp too hard (try this for the AC20 as well). I have to tweak a lot more to get a great tone when a humbucker's output is north of about 8.5k, so mine are typically around the 8.2k area in order to retain clarity while making things aggressive.

As far as the Greenback AC30 goes, I have one, but haven't gotten around to capturing IRs of it yet.
Got ya! I see the C-30 mentioned a lot! What kind of pedals are you using with it for gritty EoB and rude mid-gain tones? Also, how would this change between humbuckers or single coils? That's wild to hear you have a metal producing friend who loves the high gain tones with that amp! What combination of gear are you using for that as far as pedals and cabs?? I'd love to hear about that because it highlights the versatility. I would also love to hear if you're able to replicate that with the Fractal models!

I just updated to beta 27 after reading this. I wasn't going to because I was doing tracking for some P&W stuff, but since it was a new song and not mid session, I tried it out with the same presets. I had to make some minor tweaks, but overall I can see the improvement in the interactions between amps and drives! One thing I noticed in general (and I think I'm noticing with Class A style amps in general), if pushed too hard, do they start to reveal a bumble bee buzzing type sound around 10k ish give or take? Is that common with this Class A style of amp? I feel like I've been noticing that when these amps get pushed really hard. The AC-20 seems to take things the best, but the chime is amazing on the D-30 and Vox's.

That makes sense about higher output pickups. I have a Suhr SSV in my tele parts build and while it's chimey and open, it's hotter than 8.5k; I think 9k. I have a Thornbucker + in my Strat build and that seems to be more tame, but sounds less punchy. It actually is less hot sounding and it's the 53mm version which is 9.1k, so that's interesting to me. Perhaps it's the alnico 4 magnet.
Speaking of pickups, how is your journey going with the Bare Knuckle Pickups? Are you still liking that Mule more than the Thornbucker +? I've been pondering a Mule bridge and VHii Neck to try in my Tele Parts guitar. Something about the transient response of their pickups and tubelar tone in the neck pickups that I equate with tones I like from iconic guitar players.

It's funny, while we have the option to tweak these parameters like amp modders, I never do because I always try the simplistic approach. Perhaps that's something I should check out with the low cut on the input eq.

I am very curious to hear how you like the Vox with Greenbacks and am anxious to see if that comes to fruition as a cab pack!

On another note, I just downloaded the Gift of Tone you released.... WOW.... First of all, I love seeing your presets. You're a tone master haha so I love seeing how dial things in. Second, this seriously might be my favorite IR you've ever made. It's brand new to me, but I felt compelled to talk about it. Which York cab is it? The oversized one or standard sized one? And is this with a 57m? Do you have any plans to do a full cab pack of this?? This is seriously a fantastic IR and VERY generous of you to share this!

Got ya! I see the C-30 mentioned a lot! What kind of pedals are you using with it for gritty EoB and rude mid-gain tones? Also, how would this change between humbuckers or single coils? That's wild to hear you have a metal producing friend who loves the high gain tones with that amp! What combination of gear are you using for that as far as pedals and cabs?? I'd love to hear about that because it highlights the versatility. I would also love to hear if you're able to replicate that with the Fractal models!

I just updated to beta 27 after reading this. I wasn't going to because I was doing tracking for some P&W stuff, but since it was a new song and not mid session, I tried it out with the same presets. I had to make some minor tweaks, but overall I can see the improvement in the interactions between amps and drives! One thing I noticed in general (and I think I'm noticing with Class A style amps in general), if pushed too hard, do they start to reveal a bumble bee buzzing type sound around 10k ish give or take? Is that common with this Class A style of amp? I feel like I've been noticing that when these amps get pushed really hard. The AC-20 seems to take things the best, but the chime is amazing on the D-30 and Vox's.

That makes sense about higher output pickups. I have a Suhr SSV in my tele parts build and while it's chimey and open, it's hotter than 8.5k; I think 9k. I have a Thornbucker + in my Strat build and that seems to be more tame, but sounds less punchy. It actually is less hot sounding and it's the 53mm version which is 9.1k, so that's interesting to me. Perhaps it's the alnico 4 magnet.
Speaking of pickups, how is your journey going with the Bare Knuckle Pickups? Are you still liking that Mule more than the Thornbucker +? I've been pondering a Mule bridge and VHii Neck to try in my Tele Parts guitar. Something about the transient response of their pickups and tubelar tone in the neck pickups that I equate with tones I like from iconic guitar players.

It's funny, while we have the option to tweak these parameters like amp modders, I never do because I always try the simplistic approach. Perhaps that's something I should check out with the low cut on the input eq.

I am very curious to hear how you like the Vox with Greenbacks and am anxious to see if that comes to fruition as a cab pack!
I'll see if I can address all of this stuff. I just use the amp's volume (Gain on the Fractal) to get gritty EoB, rude mid-gain, and high gain tones. I don't like using overdrive/distortion pedals because they color the sound of the amp too much, IMO. In the rare case that I want to run a boost into an amp to get more out of it, it's either an old secret weapon of mine that isn't in the Axe or it's an Empress ParaEQ to shape the guitar's input signal and dial in how hard I want it to hit the front end of the amp. My producer friend likes that amp with a Tele and probably uses it more as a blending amp than the primary gain machine for metal... the C-30 isn't a metal amp, but it has great character that blends nicely with metal amps. Single coils are thinner in the low end, brighter/clearer in the top end, and have more pick attack compared to humbuckers, so they end up sounding more aggressive within the context of a mix.

I just compared my amp to the model with higher gain settings. The model definitely has more gain and midrange compared to my amp. My amp on 10 with the master volume bypassed is about the same as the model's gain around 8.4. To get the midrange closer, I turned the Speaker Impedance down to 0.8 and used the amp's Output EQ page with the 8 Band Constant Q and these adjustments:
250 at -1, 500 at -1, 1k at -1.5, and 2k at -1.

I don't know the term for it, but the model has a little more of that thing that sounds like extra break up in the background... that's the only way I know how to describe it. I like what it does though; it gives you more nonlinearities that make it sound like the tone is alive and moving.

I'm definitely a fan and true believer in Bare Knuckle humbuckers. After swapping out five different sets, recording them, and comparing them, my #1 Les Paul ended up with a Mule in the bridge and an Emerald in the neck. That thing is an absolute tone monster! Embrace the A4 magnet when it comes to humbuckers. They tend to capture the guitar's natural character more than any magnet I've tried. I've taken the same pickup and tested several magnets in it to hear the differences and the A4 hits the Goldilocks spot for clarity, feel, and versatility (sounds great clean, broken up, and crushes with high gain).

The GoT IR is from my custom oversized York Audio 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks and a single 57m. I think I used a "CN" mic placement, so maybe try some single mic CN captures from my other packs and see how they hit you.

Hey guys!
I just got the fm3 and I'm loving it. I use lots of york audio irs (currently favorite is the kw in stereo mode, the stm 04 l and r). But there's something happening to some of my guitars. I use the jcm800 and the slo100 models, and my upper registers, specially on the E string, after the 10th fret, sound harsh, really harsh. When I switch to the fractal original cabs, they don't, but they sound less real. I have read about the high and low cuts. Everytime I change the cab, I use the similar one from fractal as a parameter for those cuts. But I think something is still wrong.
Another question is about the cab pack checkmate m25. Is it different than the mrsh 412 m25 and the kw m25-sh ?
I know that you can move the mics, but I just love the mixes Justin made, so I don't think it would matter to me.
Last question is: why not a soldano slo100 cab pack? This amp is one of the best fractal have done. I would love to have a York version of the original cab.

Hey guys!
I just got the fm3 and I'm loving it. I use lots of york audio irs (currently favorite is the kw in stereo mode, the stm 04 l and r). But there's something happening to some of my guitars. I use the jcm800 and the slo100 models, and my upper registers, specially on the E string, after the 10th fret, sound harsh, really harsh. When I switch to the fractal original cabs, they don't, but they sound less real. I have read about the high and low cuts. Everytime I change the cab, I use the similar one from fractal as a parameter for those cuts. But I think something is still wrong.
Another question is about the cab pack checkmate m25. Is it different than the mrsh 412 m25 and the kw m25-sh ?
I know that you can move the mics, but I just love the mixes Justin made, so I don't think it would matter to me.
Last question is: why not a soldano slo100 cab pack? This amp is one of the best fractal have done. I would love to have a York version of the original cab.
If only some of your guitars are sounding "harsh" above the 10th fret, the first thing that comes to mind are the pickups and if the amp is dialed in for those pickups. The word "harsh" means different things to different people, so the solution kinda depends on how you define it. For the 800, be careful with the Middle and Treble settings. I would back off the mids first (4-7 typically works well with that amp), and then check your treble (I normally keep mine between 2.5-5 depending on the guitar).

The checkmate pack was the first Marshall cab I ever captured, so it's not a DynaCab with movable mics. The MRSH 412 M25 was a different capture session I did when I moved into my studio. The KW is my favorite Greenback cab, but that's just personal preference... some people prefer the KW and some prefer the MRSH M25.

I have an original Soldano 4x12. It's more compact than standard 4x12s, it's front loaded, and the stock speakers are Eminence Legends. To be honest, the cab doesn't sound very good at all. I've loaded it with different speakers and it never quite hits the spot no matter what I tried. I only capture cabs I enjoy playing through, but maybe I'll find a good one at some point. :)

If only some of your guitars are sounding "harsh" above the 10th fret, the first thing that comes to mind are the pickups and if the amp is dialed in for those pickups. The word "harsh" means different things to different people, so the solution kinda depends on how you define it. For the 800, be careful with the Middle and Treble settings. I would back off the mids first (4-7 typically works well with that amp), and then check your treble (I normally keep mine between 2.5-5 depending on the guitar).

The checkmate pack was the first Marshall cab I ever captured, so it's not a DynaCab with movable mics. The MRSH 412 M25 was a different capture session I did when I moved into my studio. The KW is my favorite Greenback cab, but that's just personal preference... some people prefer the KW and some prefer the MRSH M25.

I have an original Soldano 4x12. It's more compact than standard 4x12s, it's front loaded, and the stock speakers are Eminence Legends. To be honest, the cab doesn't sound very good at all. I've loaded it with different speakers and it never quite hits the spot no matter what I tried. I only capture cabs I enjoy playing through, but maybe I'll find a good one at some point. :)
I would love a KW Dyna Cab version, it’s my favorite cab pack from you.

The Checkmate cab pack is gold. May even be a "hidden gem", since it doesn't get much talk on the forum.
I always use single mic cabs, and the e906 is my go-to for live.
This cab sounds great with pretty much any amp I throw at it.

Quick question… tonight I decided to mix both the 212 M65 cream back with the 412 KW M25 in one cab block on the FM9. I’m running mono, so I had both cabs panned center and using Mix 1 for both IRs. Using the Atomica High model with the SIC set to 2x12 Zilla with low res set to 103hz, I thought it sounded really good through my HS8 monitors. The obvious response is “if it sounds good, it is good”, however is there anything I need to be aware of when using two different mixes from two different cabs? Phasing issues? Obviously I can only choose one SIC, so I went with the recommended one for the creamback. I also reduced the level of the KW M25 by about 2.5 db. Is this practice typically less preferred than sticking with one cabinet and IR?

Phasing issues?
You can correct for any phasing issues in the alignment tab on the CAB block.

But really, the only rule is: if it sounds good, it is good. There are no other rules beyond that.

Is this practice typically less preferred than sticking with one cabinet and IR?
Again: if it sounds good, it is good. That's the entirety of it.

I'll mix in the 1x8 Oval IR when I want to brighten up a sound, quickly. Is that allowed? You bet. Because if it sounds good, it is good.

Quick question… tonight I decided to mix both the 212 M65 cream back with the 412 KW M25 in one cab block on the FM9. I’m running mono, so I had both cabs panned center and using Mix 1 for both IRs. Using the Atomica High model with the SIC set to 2x12 Zilla with low res set to 103hz, I thought it sounded really good through my HS8 monitors. The obvious response is “if it sounds good, it is good”, however is there anything I need to be aware of when using two different mixes from two different cabs? Phasing issues? Obviously I can only choose one SIC, so I went with the recommended one for the creamback. I also reduced the level of the KW M25 by about 2.5 db. Is this practice typically less preferred than sticking with one cabinet and IR?
Yeah, you can blend Mixes from different packs. All Mixes are finished in Minimum Phase so you can blend Mixes from any cabs you want. If you have a Mix you like and want to blend in another mix, use minimum phase to avoid phase issues.

I'm glad you're liking that combo. I bet it sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom