IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
What is everyones opinion with the YA IRs and Ultrares vs Standard?

I used them today for the first time in "standard" because of the CPU of the FM3 and they really sound great. I cant notice that much difference.
Standard always for me.

They sound great that way, and I don't want to need more CPU power, or to load both flavors.

I've always been a die hard v30 guy. I currently own the mesa lim 212 pack and the mesa os v2 pack. I actually think i like the mesa 212 more! Its blasphemy to say that but it does have a woody quality that makes it versatile. Both of them i always use mix 01. I'm trying to break away from the v30 some just to try something new. I like the leon todd tv mix 7 but i also love supporting good companies. Ya'll think i would like the KW cab? I'm looking for something with a smoother top end and less harshness. I've listened to the clips of the dv77, the creamback h75 and the friedman cab packs and almost all of them are to harsh/scooped sounding to my ears. I prefer a bit darker tone i guess. Any recommendations? I guess my question is what greenback or non v30 cab pack would i like that sounds similar to the mesa 212 cab pack?

To give some context i'd love to have something versatile enough to use it a church and in a modern metal band using 7 string guitars. 😂 alot to ask i know.

I've always been a die hard v30 guy. I currently own the mesa lim 212 pack and the mesa os v2 pack. I actually think i like the mesa 212 more! Its blasphemy to say that but it does have a woody quality that makes it versatile. Both of them i always use mix 01. I'm trying to break away from the v30 some just to try something new. I like the leon todd tv mix 7 but i also love supporting good companies. Ya'll think i would like the KW cab? I'm looking for something with a smoother top end and less harshness. I've listened to the clips of the dv77, the creamback h75 and the friedman cab packs and almost all of them are to harsh/scooped sounding to my ears. I prefer a bit darker tone i guess. Any recommendations? I guess my question is what greenback or non v30 cab pack would i like that sounds similar to the mesa 212 cab pack?
If you like Leon Todd TV Mix 7. Try this. It’s great.

A lot of it has to do with how you dial in your amp and what part of the frequency spectrum is the “harsh” range for you. For the clips you mentioned, I used the Solo Lead 100 model with all EQ knobs at 5, adjusted Depth and Presence where I like them, and didn’t use any boost pedals that tend to cut lows and add mids. Turn up the mids on your amp or dial back the Presence if you like a darker tone. If the “harsh” area you’re talking about is the natural top end air, simply use a high cut in the cab block to trim off whatever you don’t want. I don’t use any processing on my IRs, so what you hear is a natural and authentic representation of how the cab sounds mic’d up in my studio.

You’ve got several non-V30s that could work for you. If you want a great 25w Greenback pack, the KW cab is the ticket. The 5153 4x12 has 20w Greenbacks that rock and metal guys love. The DV77 is like a tweak on the V30 where the presence peak isn’t as abrasive and works great for clean and dirty tones.

I hope this helps!

-Justin

A lot of it has to do with how you dial in your amp and what part of the frequency spectrum is the “harsh” range for you. For the clips you mentioned, I used the Solo Lead 100 model with all EQ knobs at 5, adjusted Depth and Presence where I like them, and didn’t use any boost pedals that tend to cut lows and add mids. Turn up the mids on your amp or dial back the Presence if you like a darker tone. If the “harsh” area you’re talking about is the natural top end air, simply use a high cut in the cab block to trim off whatever you don’t want. I don’t use any processing on my IRs, so what you hear is a natural and authentic representation of how the cab sounds mic’d up in my studio.

You’ve got several non-V30s that could work for you. If you want a great 25w Greenback pack, the KW cab is the ticket. The 5153 4x12 has 20w Greenbacks that rock and metal guys love. The DV77 is like a tweak on the V30 where the presence peak isn’t as abrasive and works great for clean and dirty tones.

I hope this helps!

-Justin

Thanks for your input Justin! I picked up the KW pack and it sounds really good! I took your advice and cranked up the mids and lowered the presence wayyyy lower. I do prefer the sound of lower presence versus highcut in the cab block. I'm really digging mix 01 from the mesa 212 pack and mix 01 from the KW pack blended. The sound is massive

A lot of it has to do with how you dial in your amp and what part of the frequency spectrum is the “harsh” range for you.

This is def a me issue. I think when i say harsh highend i'm referring to high mids/lower treble frequencies. Maybe 2500-4000ish.

Thanks for your input Justin! I picked up the KW pack and it sounds really good! I took your advice and cranked up the mids and lowered the presence wayyyy lower. I do prefer the sound of lower presence versus highcut in the cab block. I'm really digging mix 01 from the mesa 212 pack and mix 01 from the KW pack blended. The sound is massive
Awesome! Thanks for picking up the pack, and I’m glad you’re already liking it!

This is def a me issue. I think when i say harsh highend i'm referring to high mids/lower treble frequencies. Maybe 2500-4000ish.
Yup, my ears are sensitive to that area too. Our listening environment, monitoring source (especially headphones), amp type, and the guitar we’re using can all have a noticeable impact on that region.

I love scott’s blies tones. Can you name an album where he uses this speaker cabinet? I know he used something else on the blues records.

I love scott’s blies tones. Can you name an album where he uses this speaker cabinet? I know he used something else on the blues records.
Whenever I’d talk to Scott about his rig, he only mentioned using the Kerry Wright cabinet with either his vintage Plexi or his signature Suhr amp along with a couple pedals from time to time, so I imagine he uses the same setup for his blues tones as well.

Awesome! Thanks for picking up the pack, and I’m glad you’re already liking it!

Yup, my ears are sensitive to that area too. Our listening environment, monitoring source (especially headphones), amp type, and the guitar we’re using can all have a noticeable impact on that region.
When you refer to being sensitive to these frequencies, what is your approach for taming these areas if you like the general character of the amp and cab, but those harsh areas are a bit much? Is it a combination of amp controls and or IR selection for a given cab?

When you refer to being sensitive to these frequencies, what is your approach for taming these areas if you like the general character of the amp and cab, but those harsh areas are a bit much? Is it a combination of amp controls and or IR selection for a given cab?
I always start with the amp’s basic tone controls before doing any extra tone shaping, but it depends on a couple factors. Do you hear it in multiple monitoring sources? Do you still hear it when using different guitars? If so, then I would put a parametric EQ at the end of your chain. Put a looper at the start of your chain and play a chord progression so your hands don’t have to be on the guitar. Use the frequency solo feature in the parametric EQ block using a fairly narrow Q to pinpoint the offending area, and then duck it down 1dB and see how it feels. You can take more out or widen the Q, but you don’t want to go crazy with EQ otherwise you can remove too much and take away from the natural character of your tone.

Back
Top Bottom