Where's the 1990s Great Music Thread On This Darn Forum??

An unknown instrumental prog-rock of the 90s

• Sylvain Gouvernaire / guitars, piano, keyboards & synth, fretless bass
  • Pete Trewavas (Marillion, Transatlantic) / bass
  • Ian Mosley (Marillion, Steve Hacket)/ drums
  • Tarek Abaï-Chanab / percussion

Bonus for singing while also two-handed tapping. :)

It’s an interesting pattern too, I realized when I was learning this song; the pattern starts with the picking hand at the beginning, then starts with the fretting hand when he moves strings, making it a little tricky to get fluid.

I just love the feel of the song.

And of you haven’t heard of this band, I mourn the time you’ve lost. I love this album, called Screams and Whispers. To me, they were very songwriting based, on contrast to the “string of riffs” style many bands employed. This song just always hits me. The singer Kenn Nardi still releases solo stuff that’s just as good:

• Love
Reactions: JTI
And to me most revolutionary album of the 90s was the one and only Damn the Machine album, with Chris Poland of Megadeth, then Ohm. To me they were trying to change metal into something bigger in a way. I always thought they should’ve been the biggest thing out of the 90s, but they were dropped after the one release. They were the only band I wrote a fan letter to when I was a kid; it was returned unopened by the record company!

It doesn’t hurt that the inimitable Brian Malouf provided production NO metal album ever received in those days. If you can hang with it, check out the guitar solo on this song; I think it’s devastating:

And of you haven’t heard of this band, I mourn the time you’ve lost. I love this album, called Screams and Whispers. To me, they were very songwriting based, on contrast to the “string of riffs” style many bands employed. This song just always hits me. The singer Kenn Nardi still releases solo stuff that’s just as good:

You are the second person I have ever seen talk about these guys. This song (and album) were KILLER. Excellent ethereal moody metal that was super catchy and went hard when the time came \m/

Back
Top Bottom