Where's the 1990s Great Music Thread On This Darn Forum??

The best Grunge album you have likely never heard.... until now. These guys are so good. I remembered them
this morning when I woke up.

How do things like that just randomly pop into our heads? No idea! :)

• Love
Reactions: JTI
The best Grunge album you have likely never heard.... until now. These guys are so good. I remembered them
this morning when I woke up.

How do things like that just randomly pop into our heads? No idea! :)

I loved this album back in the day!

You are the only one I know of who listened to them, too. :)

It holds up, man. So f'ing good!!
I worked in a kitchen in this time period and there was all sorts of cool hard rock happening. Besides Winger :D These guys had a sort of slightly more metalized AiC vibe. And as I listen through these first few tunes; I am remembering how much I dug them.

Did you ever listen to Tad?

I forgot about this tune. I have the CD but can't quite remember if I liked it as a whole or just liked this particular song. Fairly grunge by numbers with some excellent production (and slide interlude/solo) and subject matter that has me feeling like I ate an onion sandwich :(

I worked in a kitchen in this time period and there was all sorts of cool hard rock happening. Besides Winger :D These guys had a sort of slightly more metalized AiC vibe. And as I listen through these first few tunes; I am remembering how much I dug them.

Did you ever listen to Tad?

Haha! Sure did. I was thinking of them and Gruntruck, too, this AM. All sorts of long
forgotten shit popping into my head for some reason. :)

One of my favorite albums. I was shocked I got to see them reunite under the worst circumstances, when Ivan Colon, one of the guitarists, died because he forgot to take his regular medication. On that reunion show they played this album from beginning to end, with a couple of Trouble covers thrown in random spots. It was godly:

My favorite Yngwie is from 1992

I always loved C'est la Vie. That album has a few songs I loved, and I felt like the singer was great, but it sounded like they put one hell of an overdone de-esser on him!

One of the greatest Modern Prog bands of all time. Full stop! They are still releasing
great material. Their last release is monstrous! The timeless tones Matheos puts out
should be a lesson to us all. Sooooo.... good! :)

Now this I can get behind. I love the three Fates Warning albums starting with Perfect Symmetry. Parallels is my favorite. "Parallel Lives, running parallel with you..." Mark Zonder is one of my favorite drummers.

I never understood why Metallica was bigger, except they sold out and Dave Mustaine really didn't.

To me Megadeth, and most metal bands who were signed to majors, sold out after Metallica's Black Album. I love Rust In Peace and just think it's one of the most creative albums I've ever heard, but I think a big clue is all the plaid Dave Mustaine started wearing! Edit: I realize it sounds here like I think they're selling out on Rust In Peace; I worship Rust In Peace and think they sold out after that, but I still think Countdown to Extinction has a lot of great things about it. I saw them on the Cryptic Writings tour, and I just felt like barfing. It was horrible. Too many times I've seen bands only after they've completely abandoned what I love about them!

Queensryche...

Great selection here. Geoff Tate is my favorite singer, and I love every album and EP they released up to Promised Land. And Real World is an unbelievable song.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I've written about this before, but to me this is the greatest pure thrash album of all time. It absolutely does not get better than this! I met Craig Locicero at a random show they did in Portland, OR the day before we moved from there to New Hampshire. Locicero was the nicest guy, and just let me grill him about the amps they used (modded 2203s), and various stuff about Twisted Into Form. It was soon before they released Omega Wave. They opened the show with Infinite, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Last edited:
My favorite Overkill song, and it's segue into the last song on the album. I love Under the Influence too, and for me, these two albums are the ones I keep going back to. But Horrorscope is a perfect example of exemplary thrash. And it's an example of early Terry Date working with an 80s band, and getting everything just right. They used the ADA MP-1 into a Marshall 4x12 mic'd with a 57, then carefully eq'd, and it sounds glorious. Plus, who has more personality than Bobby Blitz Ellsworth? Whenever I ask my wife to take a left onto Ellsworth St in Denver, my wife will say, "Bobby Blitz?" I got to see them in Portland, OR, and Bobby Blitz was incredible. Man, if every frontman had his level of feel and pure energy, this world would be a better place. I kept waiting to hear something from Horrorscopr, but they only played the title song, which is my least favorite haha. But this song is godly, in my opinion:

Okay, this album has such a great title, but I love this song in particular. I do not like the singer, but this is just a great and powerful song:

I do not at all like this band, but this one song is something I’ve loved since 1991. It’s the only one where the guitarist sings, I think. And you’ll see members of Alice In Chains in the video:

To me Megadeth, and most metal bands who were signed to majors, sold out after Metallica's Black Album. I love Rust In Peace and just think it's one of the most creative albums I've ever heard, but I think a big clue is all the plaid Dave Mustaine started wearing!

A lot of that conformity to style has gone on in the music industry, and in our culture at large. I mean look at Ozzy Osbourne's Shot in the Dark video, where he has long puffed out blonde hair and a sequin robe. Not very Sabbathy! They must have had more pressure to conform from the record labels and such. Music delivery to consumers is so different today.

But for the record, I loved Metallica's Black Album and still do. I am surprised something that heavy got played on the radio and MTV - Where Ever I May Roam, Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters, and The Unforgiven besides Enter Sandman. They paid their dues and they made music that sells, so I am not seriously going around calling anyone a sell-out, it was a joking reference to what I heard a lot at the time, even before the haircuts. It helps to use emojis nowadays. 🙃

Here is another one I bet many haven't heard, but I liked these guys way before they were on the Spider-man movie soundtrack. There have been a few bands on this playlist (I mean, thread) where I am like, oh yeah, I didn't think anyone else liked them though!

Last edited:
Forbidden has always killed. Their first album I liked the least as they were still in their formative stages. And there was no Tim Calvert. I think Distortion and Green are criminally underlooked albums as well. Bad timing. Omega Wave was KILLER. I wish I would have actively went and seen them.

Speaking of Tim Calvert (godly player with GODLY tone holy sh!t); I saw him on the Politics of Ecstasy tour with Nevermore. Speaking of albums that get no real mention. My god was a killer album!

Sepultura, Max era almost goes without saying. I saw them on the Chaos AD tour with Fear Factory and Clutch. What a killer triple bill! The thing about thrash and speed metal is the skill level bar was so high that, even though there was a swath of bands who didn't make it much past that initial wave; they had excellent albums because of their genre and inherent musicianship. So much good stuff.

Speaking of thrash bands who branched out in just the right way for my ears...

Some of my favorite Pär Lindh albums are from the 90's

Swedish Music rocks!

Shutdown the distractions and sit comfortable

1994 Gothic Impressions

1997 Mundus Incompertus

RIP Magdalena Hagberg

Last edited:
Forbidden has always killed. Their first album I liked the least as they were still in their formative stages. And there was no Tim Calvert. I think Distortion and Green are criminally underlooked albums as well. Bad timing. Omega Wave was KILLER. I wish I would have actively went and seen them.

Speaking of Tim Calvert (godly player with GODLY tone holy sh!t); I saw him on the Politics of Ecstasy tour with Nevermore. Speaking of albums that get no real mention. My god was a killer album!

Sepultura, Max era almost goes without saying. I saw them on the Chaos AD tour with Fear Factory and Clutch. What a killer triple bill! The thing about thrash and speed metal is the skill level bar was so high that, even though there was a swath of bands who didn't make it much past that initial wave; they had excellent albums because of their genre and inherent musicianship. So much good stuff.

Speaking of thrash bands who branched out in just the right way for my ears...

Same thing with me, man when I was a kid listening to that I was so blown away, it was so modern and huge sounding... Death Angel, I had their 1st cassette and it was really raw, I think the song "Third Floor" was on there, and then they got better, recorded better, etc. Sepultura as well.

Same thing with me, man when I was a kid listening to that I was so blown away, it was so modern and huge sounding... Death Angel, I had their 1st cassette and it was really raw, I think the song "Third Floor" was on there, and then they branched out got better, recorded better, etc. Sepultura as well.
The Ultra Violence was raw but great. Frolic thru the Park was a little too experimental, at times; for my tastes. But the songs I liked off of there were excellent. Third Floor was on that album, iirc.

Act III was definitely their commercial peak but they did it soooooo well that it just seemed like that was they way they should sound. They morphed into another band with a different name (The Organization) and I wasn't much of a fan. They came back as Death Angel here in the last decade or so. They are good but I'll always like their first round of albums the most.

Back
Top Bottom