Where's the 1990s Great Music Thread On This Darn Forum??

You are the second person I have ever seen talk about these guys. This song (and album) were KILLER. Excellent ethereal moody metal that was super catchy and went hard when the time came \m/

I was lucky that a friend who was on and off in bands with me was both “of means” and obsessively searched for new music. He also me on too Cynic’s first album right after it was released, and even after thrash was left in the wastebasket he would let me know one or two bands every year he thought I’d love, which led me eventually to the Trinity album by Prototype, e.g. He was the one who turned me on to Anacrusis.

Now it’s easier than ever to find obscure or under the radar bands, but it’s crazy to remember how hard it was back in the 90s. Dave Mustaine said essentially that it acted like a filter, so if you heard of a band, it meant more, but I disagree with that. I think a ton of great music that was a product of the zeitgeist of culture was being steamrolled by what was being pushed by majors. Prog metal seemed to have an appropriately weird history, whose torch was carried by known bands randomly, then kind of went underground. Then it feels like Dream Theater led their own brand of prog out of the darkness into the known world through a ton of patience. Anyway, that’s my not necessarily accurate perception of it.

But back to Anacrusis, they really just had the best songs, progressive but not intentionally labyrinthine. Intelligent, well written, and confident, but not pretentious (that’s a rare combination, in my opinion). Brutal but not barbaric. I just love most of what Kenn Nardi has ever done.

Reactions: JTI
The 90's was a good decade for Prog Rock

Two of my favorite Pendragon albums are from the 90's. I like the "Gilmourish" style of Nick Barett. It reminds me of the style that I used to play myself when I was in a prog rock band at the end of the 80's; a mixture of Steve Rothery, Andrew Latimer and Gilmour

1993 The Window of Life.

1996 The Masquerade Overture

And Arena, that shares keyboard player (Clive Nolan) with Pendragon. John Mitchel is a great guitarist

1996 Pride
1995 Songs from the Lion Cage
1998 The Visitor

The keyboard/guitar solos at 7:00 are epic

"The Visitor" is an epic album

Last edited:
Bump as I went to see The Tea Party and I Mother Earth last night! It was a stellar show with good sound and tight performances. Jagori Tanna of IME is one hell of a monster player. The whole band was just tight AF. I'm not sure what Jagori's rig was but could see backline of Portcity cabs i think. His tone last night was perfect. Jeff Martin of Tea Party had a pair of Matchless Superchiefs and Fender combos. Rockin n loud! Tea party did a cool homage to The Tragically Hip's 'Bobcaygeon'

Attachments

• concertd.jpg
    concertd.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • concertc.jpg
    concertc.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • concertb.jpg
    concertb.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • concerta.jpg
    concerta.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 4
  • concert.jpg
    concert.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 6
It is it 1996? What a killer line up!
Tell me about it! I havent been to many concerts in the last few years but this year started going to a few. My last one was Tool. It was good but I did pay nearly $300 for a floor ticket. TOtally different venue (large arena) deafening loud. Last night's show i paid $50 to see both these bands in a smaller venue. The sound was infinitely better. I enjoyed it much much more than TooI; think the take away for me is large arenas for concerts often suck in comparison. You also lose that intimacy of a smaller venue

Back
Top Bottom