What is your guitar whim right now?

Visited the place and met my longtime sales engineer in person last year in August. Tried a gorgeous CS '60s Strat. Hated the neck profile. Glad I didn't mail-order it and have to ship it back!
Ah Joe that must have been cool visit - sounds like a good plan and finding out it wasn't for you - my sales rep Tyler rocks best service ever

Well hell, let's make it three in a row. Here's mine before I modded the hell out of it:

View attachment 109017

And here's the long thread where I documented some of my journey:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-schecter-svss-exotic.173166/
I enjoyed reading your thread - if I have any problems I'll refer to it.
The only couple of issues are the b& high E are slightly binding which may be the string tree or the nut but are easily solvable.
the frets fell a bit scratchy so may just need a polish.
A weird thing is that the low end tuning post looks shorter than the high E - i don't know if they are meant to be staggered but usually you have the short one at the high E.
General setup out of the box was very good and was in tune :)

I enjoyed reading your thread - if I have any problems I'll refer to it.
The only couple of issues are the b& high E are slightly binding which may be the string tree or the nut but are easily solvable.
the frets fell a bit scratchy so may just need a polish.
A weird thing is that the low end tuning post looks shorter than the high E - i don't know if they are meant to be staggered but usually you have the short one at the high E.
General setup out of the box was very good and was in tune :)

That’s definitely a QC mistake. Sorry about that. I don’t think they have good QC as a brand. I had the problem of a somewhat loose locking nut not returning the trem to zero after pull ups, but it took a great tech recommending that to fix it. The thing that made me keep it overall was the great fretwork.

One word of caution: this Black Limba is soft. This may not ever affect what you do with a hard tail, but @Henry, since you’re using a Floyd, you should know I had to put wooden toothpicks in the holes for my spring claw screws, because they started coming out if I loosened too far; same for the pickguard screws and one strap button. I don’t know if it’s just the slab of wood they used for my body or what. I still love my guitar, and shoring up the screw holes that needed it wasn’t a big deal at all. Great stainless steel fretwork off the bat makes up for a lot else for me, but everyone has different things they need out of their instrument.

But for both you, you might wiggle the strap buttons just to be sure they’re tight every month or so!

That’s definitely a QC mistake. Sorry about that. I don’t think they have good QC as a brand. I had the problem of a somewhat loose locking nut not returning the trem to zero after pull ups, but it took a great tech recommending that to fix it. The thing that made me keep it overall was the great fretwork.

One word of caution: this Black Limba is soft. This may not ever affect what you do with a hard tail, but @Henry, since you’re using a Floyd, you should know I had to put wooden toothpicks in the holes for my spring claw screws, because they started coming out if I loosened too far; same for the pickguard screws and one strap button. I don’t know if it’s just the slab of wood they used for my body or what. I still love my guitar, and shoring up the screw holes that needed it wasn’t a big deal at all. Great stainless steel fretwork off the bat makes up for a lot else for me, but everyone has different things they need out of their instrument.

But for both you, you might wiggle the strap buttons just to be sure they’re tight every month or so!
Wiggled, still firm :)

I had no real QC problems with mine. Just the problem I've had with every single Schecter, which is the volume pot getting scratchy fast and contact spray applications not lasting long. I replaced it with a PRS pot to solve it for good.

I also replaced the bridge pup with a SD Hybrid/59. I'm happy with it but it wasn't a big change. The original bridge pup is really good too and I wouldn't do it again.

Wiggled, still firm :)

I had no real QC problems with mine. Just the problem I've had with every single Schecter, which is the volume pot getting scratchy fast and contact spray applications not lasting long. I replaced it with a PRS pot to solve it for good.

I also replaced the bridge pup with a SD Hybrid/59. I'm happy with it but it wasn't a big change. The original bridge pup is really good too and I wouldn't do it again.
Even the volume pot in my Suhr got scratchy over time
I was quite surprised by the pickups in the Schecter they seem good to me - higher output then what I have in my other guitars but I actually wanted something with more output.
I do have a Suhr ssh+ with the same colour bobbins so could try that at some point - but I think they will be quite similar

I like using dual concentric knobs, but if you like the control panel layout as it is, I'd replace the stock pots with the Bourns 82 or Bourns 95 pots, which you can find online. They're sealed so dirt won't ever get in, so they'll never get scratchy, so they say. If I could find dual concentrics in those series, I'd snatch them up!

Purty! Looking forward to hearing how awesome it plays when you get it....

OMG it arrived today - the Ibanez Martin Miller Signature MM1 is AMAZING - action was a little high took it to the Luthier right away

The Seymour Duncan Hyperion's are stunning along with this neck - Axe III sounds incredible hard to explain but blown away how good the AXE III sounds now - its glorious - I guess the AXE doesn't like the customary Ibanez pickups I've had on my S series guitars

I just picked up brand new Ibanez j-custom RG8570 also from Japan - got wacked for 130$ for customs thought I was in clear as it was here in two days from Japan but nope got FedEx customs bill a few days later :(

These SD Hyperion's only come on the Ibanez AZ guitars - they don't sell them separate - they are only on Ibanez AZ guitars

Lucky enough found a pair off of 2021 an Ibanez AZ guitar at Reverb - so those are going into my new Ibanez j-custom RG8570 - hope neck wise it wont make to much of a difference because I would luv the same sound as the AZ has

Also the neck is thicker than the wizards necks I'm use too - but no biggie Ill get use to it, hope these pickups will sound the same in RG8570 neck

Last edited:
Aaron Marshall AM-6.Arctic Jade.01.png
Looking forward to getting one of these. I liked that they went with genuine hardware on it. A little apprehensive as my last guitar from Indonesia wasn't so great. But that was about a decade ago and all I keep hearing is things have improved considerably. We shall see!

Back
Top Bottom