What is your guitar whim right now?

So. Decision time.

This Collings is pretty much what I was after, a quality LP-ish guitar, only better. A lot of money by my standards, but used, so significantly less than most Collings, and local, so I can actually play and hear it.

What's left to decide?

First, am I ok spending that much? TBD.

Second, which I didn't know I might care about until I realized I was thinking about it, am I a "nice guitar", "classy guitar" guy? Mostly my guitars have been sort of funky, not fancy. This one isn't super ostentatious or it'd be a hard pass, but it is a couple levels up from anything I've owned, in quality and appearance.

That's also connected to the money -- am I comfortable being a guy who owns a guitar that costs that much? I work at a non-profit. I'm not gigging any more, haven't for as long time. I can do this in the sense that I can pay for it, but it's not like we're super well off, and I'll be 70 this week. The Ritz this is not.

I don't know how to think about this, except to wait until I think I'm sure, one way it the other.

Thoughts? Given the all the shiny PRS sightings around here, I'm guessing most folks in this neighborhood don't have my downscale instincts.

I've had exactly the same thoughts many times, as I am also too old to keep gigging and I am not a proficient player. But I've pulled the trigger on expensive guitars several times. Unfortunately, some of them were expensive lemons that I had to sell, but I'm finally happy with the J.Custom.

Make a simile with modelers: if you had none right now, would you doubt that you deserve Fractal Audio or would you get a cheaper option? :D

I've had exactly the same thoughts many times, as I am also too old to keep gigging and I am not a proficient player. But I've pulled the trigger on expensive guitars several times. Unfortunately, some of them were expensive lemons that I had to sell, but I'm finally happy with the J.Custom.

Make a simile with modelers: if you had none right now, would you doubt that you deserve Fractal Audio or would you get a cheaper option? :D
Re owning Fractal gear, I thought of that, definitely felt some of the same feelings, still somehow went ahead. This is more money and shinier though.

And for the record, I'm not too old to be gigging, I'm just not, for now, and haven't for a (long) while, but I might ;)

You only live once. Your wife wants you to buy a nice piece. The Collings definitely fits that description. And it’s your birthday week.

I agree. Some of us have been conditioned to defer to others---to their needs, or to calamitous predictions about
what the future might hold---and can put ourselves last. Especially so for carefivers/providers.

Also, I just read a study about the main regrets of the dying (how's that for an happy thought??) and one of them
is a regret about NOT doing something they thought about, and was never a regret about doing something they
thought about.

I'd echo the "you only live once" sentiment.

An added bonus is Collings resale value tends to hold up pretty well. So if you hate yourself for it later you can always unload it without taking a bath.

That's a good point.

FWIW, no, I wouldn't hesitate on another Fractal. I haven't played a QC, but I don't like any of the other modelers I've tried. If I hadn't impulse bought the Fractal, I'd probably still be frustrated with fighting the uphill battle to get amps to actually fit into my life.

Similarly, if I didn't have my existing nice (but not totally crazy for my situation) guitars, I'd still be frustrated trying to convince myself that my cheaper guitars were as inspiring. For me, they haven't been, at least not since the first one. Which honestly kind of sucks...I wish I honestly believed that pickups were the only thing that mattered.

At least I've managed not to actually turn into a collector with expensive(ish) tastes.

I've been eyeing a new guitar but really particular about the spec HH, hardtail, stainless Steel, locking tuners and something natural finish wise.
I've gone for the Schecter sun valley Black Limba - I used to have the Nick Johnston diamond sss which the neck fantastic but was let down by poor qc on my one - hopefully this one will be as good as the spec

I've been eyeing a new guitar but really particular about the spec HH, hardtail, stainless Steel, locking tuners and something natural finish wise.
I've gone for the Schecter sun valley Black Limba - I used to have the Nick Johnston diamond sss which the neck fantastic but was let down by poor qc on my one - hopefully this one will be as good as the spec

Very cool, I have the Black Limba with the Floyd, and I love it! The fretwork is stellar on mine. If I had more class as a player and could avoid whammy bar abuse (which I cannot), I'd go for the hardtail in a second; I do believe you get a more solid tone and you can use more subtle, lower output pickups when you have a hardtail. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom