What are you listening to right now?

Got to see these guys in Chastain Park in Atlanta. I believe it was around 2012 stupid good show.

Love the Beach Boys. Saw Mike Love's lineup about 10-12 years ago also - in Hawaii (maybe same tour you saw) - quite enjoyed it. I still listen to them a fair amount. Good Vibrations is one of my favs. This one also: Brian was (is) genius

Last edited:
Good stuff. They influenced a lot of bands. Everytime I listen to this one by The Jesus and Mary Chain I hear the BB influence for a bit. It's right about 1:10 where he sings "Oh Cherry honey you got me stuck on a rope..." It just lasts for a bit, but I've always wondered if that was an intentional nod to the BB.

Yeah that really does have that BB sound those guys still sound so good I know that they had everybody in Chastain park standing and singing it was so awesome.
Love the Beach Boys. Saw Mike Love's lineup about 10-12 years ago also - in Hawaii (maybe same tour you saw) - quite enjoyed it. I still listen to them a fair amount. Good Vibrations is one of my favs. This one also: Brian was (is) genius

That’s another great BB song those guys are timeless in my book.

I ended up watching a movie, Love and Mercy I think it's called, which is basically about Brian Wilson meeting his (current?) wife, mental health issues, being manipulated by his therapist, etc; with of course lots of story of earlier in life and what he went through then as well. It reminded me to back and watch The Wrecking Crew doc, which talks about him a fair amount. I mean, given all the people they worked with over the years, and you stand out as a genius to them, that's really saying something.

I've not gone down the rabbit hole to look up what liberties were taken with the movie, his involvement with it, etc.

I ended up watching a movie, Love and Mercy I think it's called, which is basically about Brian Wilson meeting his (current?) wife, mental health issues, being manipulated by his therapist, etc; with of course lots of story of earlier in life and what he went through then as well. It reminded me to back and watch The Wrecking Crew doc, which talks about him a fair amount. I mean, given all the people they worked with over the years, and you stand out as a genius to them, that's really saying something.

I've not gone down the rabbit hole to look up what liberties were taken with the movie, his involvement with it, etc.
Have seen that movie also, and many docs. Seems like being gifted with such genius can also often be paired with psychological affliction to varying degree.

There was a Grammy Tribute to the Beachboys aired on CBS a couple weeks ago - very good - lots of great guests doing tribute renditions. I thought Weezer did a great job ln this one:

Im listening to my ears ring!
Better answer them!

Just kidding. But the loudest concert I’ve ever been to, and I’ve seen them all, was Oingo Boingo. Boston maybe 1982 or 83.

My god. Twice as loud as The Who or Aerosmith or Van Halen.

My ears were ringing for days. Me and my 2 buddies that went all had the same exact note ringing!

Love that whole album! I wish Greg would do a Maragold 2. Meghan Krauss has one of those force of nature voices! She reminds me of a modern day Sass Jordan.

This is an acoustic live version of Story's Ending they did to promote the same album when it came out. That's the bass player on rhythm acoustic. You don't get to see Greg Howe play acoustic that often so this one live, raw, and unplugged is special. And that is before you even consider Meghan's LIVE vocals on this!! I read an interview with Greg and he said she was amazing to work with - nailed everything in one take.

For the A.D.D. among us just watch from 2:27 until end - you will get to hear the break, Greg's acoustic solo (proof tone is in the fingers) and hear Meghan's closing vocals. Just plain awesome!

And on that note Sass herself with Stevie Salas on guitar (to my knowledge he always played Soldanos). Saw them live a couple times - great shows. Sass is a tiny little thing. She stepped up to the mike and then this voice came out that nearly knocked you over. Great classic and pure hard rock and roll.

Better answer them!

Just kidding. But the loudest concert I’ve ever been to, and I’ve seen them all, was Oingo Boingo. Boston maybe 1982 or 83.

My god. Twice as loud as The Who or Aerosmith or Van Halen.

My ears were ringing for days. Me and my 2 buddies that went all had the same exact note ringing!
do you have any long lasting Tinnitus effects? My current tinnitus may well have been caused, in some part, by a Van Halen show in the early 80s which left me unable to hear normal speech for about 3 days (ringing + voices sounding like buzzing). Those fx dissappeared afterward, but my continuous Tinnintus started to become noticeable in my 50s.

Love that whole album! I wish Greg would do a Maragold 2. Meghan Krauss has one of those force of nature voices! She reminds me of a modern day Sass Jordan.

This is an acoustic live version of Story's Ending they did to promote the same album when it came out. That's the bass player on rhythm acoustic. You don't get to see Greg Howe play acoustic that often so this one live, raw, and unplugged is special. And that is before you even consider Meghan's LIVE vocals on this!! I read an interview with Greg and he said she was amazing to work with - nailed everything in one take.

For the A.D.D. among us just watch from 2:27 until end - you will get to hear the break, Greg's acoustic solo (proof tone is in the fingers) and hear Meghan's closing vocals. Just plain awesome!

I really like that album, too!

Thanks for sharing the video. That voice!

I really like that album, too!

Thanks for sharing the video. That voice!
She's still going strong. Her solo stuff is on YT.

Here's my 2 fav's from her solo stuff:

The arrangement with horns is cool on this one:

Her voice is still capable of goose bump production on her solo stuff and her lyrics are still great, but for me the compositions aren't as good as Maragold (pretty sure Greg and the bass player wrote 'em). And of course there's no Greg Howe on guitar! But if Greg & Meghan can't work out a Maragold round 2 then I would fully support a collab between Meghan Krauss & Ritchie Kotzen. Their voices would be amazing together. Plus if I can't have Greg on guitar then give me Ritchie and I'll still be happy!

Electric Joy is one my all time favorite instrumental guitar albums - check that out of you're not familiar.
Yes I am very familiar - RK is easily in my top 5 guitar players of all time. You have great taste (obviously not just in OS's)!
:cool:

Have you heard the stuff he did with Stanley Clark - also amazing!

Yes I am very familiar - RK is easily in my top 5 guitar players of all time. You have great taste (obviously not just in OS's)!
:cool:

Have you heard the stuff he did with Stanley Clark - also amazing!
I haven't... But I'll go find some!

Back
Top Bottom