What are you listening to right now?

Vertu is the name.

I have the CD and its berry berry nice! When I was at UCSD forever ago Stanley came and played at our pub - just him and his bass. I felt so lucky to have been there! No one played lead guitar on bass like Stanley f'ing Clarke! Oh yeah I almost forgot - Lenny White on drums too!

Vertu is the name.

I have the CD and its berry berry nice! When I was at UCSD forever ago Stanley came and played at our pub - just him and his bass. I felt so lucky to have been there! No one played lead guitar on bass like Stanley f'ing Clarke! Oh yeah I almost forgot - Lenny White on drums too!

Ok, speaking of Stanley, one of my favorite bands is Animal Logic (formed from the ashes of The Police).

Better answer them!

Just kidding. But the loudest concert I’ve ever been to, and I’ve seen them all, was Oingo Boingo. Boston maybe 1982 or 83.

My god. Twice as loud as The Who or Aerosmith or Van Halen.

My ears were ringing for days. Me and my 2 buddies that went all had the same exact note ringing!
No. I was lucky. I saw Van Halen about the same time and it was insane loud too. Just white noise. Took a minute to even figure out what song they were playing.

My hearing is still pretty good for my age. I’ve got a bit more high frequency loss in my left ear but I think that’s from decades of having the drummer on my left.

And right now I’m listening to Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans. It was so brutalized by the critics, but I’m really digging it after a long absence.

Ok, speaking of Stanley, one of my favorite bands is Animal Logic (formed from the ashes of The Police).

I love them too. Since I have lot of Stanley in my Amazon music library Animal Logic was recommended by their algorithm. I always give their recommendations a listen since they are usually pretty spot on.

I always meant to research the rest of the lineup but I never got around to it until I read your post. So I had no idea of the Police connection - a quick Wikipedia read and now I am educated! Stewart Copeland was the drummer - LOL. I hate that about streaming - No Liner Notes!! So now I will be listening with new focus on drum chops.

That same wiki article said even Andy Summers was their guitarist on first tour. The funniest part of the article is that Joe Walsh was supposed to be on guitar for the recordings but didn't show up for the session. Classic Joe! Maybe the lyric should have been: "I go to parties sometimes until 4 - can't make your session passed out on the floor." Joe's guitar would have been very interesting in that mix but the music is already phenomenal so maybe its better he partied like a rockstar the night before? Left more room for Stanley's bass acrobatics.

I love them too. Since I have lot of Stanley in my Amazon music library Animal Logic was recommended by their algorithm. I always give their recommendations a listen since they are usually pretty spot on.

I always meant to research the rest of the lineup but I never got around to it until I read your post. So I had no idea of the Police connection - a quick Wikipedia read and now I am educated! Stewart Copeland was the drummer - LOL. I hate that about streaming - No Liner Notes!! So now I will be listening with new focus on drum chops.

That same wiki article said even Andy Summers was their guitarist on first tour. The funniest part of the article is that Joe Walsh was supposed to be on guitar for the recordings but didn't show up for the session. Classic Joe! Maybe the lyric should have been: "I go to parties sometimes until 4 - can't make your session passed out on the floor." Joe's guitar would have been very interesting in that mix but the music is already phenomenal so maybe its better he partied like a rockstar the night before? Left more room for Stanley's bass acrobatics.
And now for the next degree of separation, you should check out Oysterhead!

Stewart, plus Trey Anastasio from Phish and Les Claypool from Primus.

And now for the next degree of separation, you should check out Oysterhead!

Stewart, plus Trey Anastasio from Phish and Les Claypool from Primus.

Aquarium Rescue Unit: Another derivative on this "polynomial degree equation" of separation (variable substitution: Trey, Jimmy Herring and Oteil Burbridge) Herring's connection to Trey is obvious but Oteil's is maybe a little less known unless you saw the tour. But some seriously great funk rock no matter what!

Aquarium Rescue Unit: Another derivative on this "polynomial degree equation" of separation (variable substitution: Trey, Jimmy Herring and Oteil Burbridge) Herring's connection to Trey is obvious but Oteil's is maybe a little less known unless you saw the tour. But some seriously great funk rock no matter what!

Will check that out this weekend. I stumbled upon a used cassette copy of some ARU album many years ago (not sure which one) and enjoyed it, but I haven't really listened to them much.

But of course now I have to mention Tedschi Trucks Band, Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule since you brought up Oteil :D

Will check that out this weekend. I stumbled upon a used cassette copy of some ARU album many years ago (not sure which one) and enjoyed it, but I haven't really listened to them much.

But of course now I have to mention Tedschi Trucks Band, Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule since you brought up Oteil :D

So it might make people jealous typing this out loud but I have seen them all at Red Rocks since I'm in Colorado. I saw Oteil there both with the Bros when we still had Greg and recently with Susan and Derek. But I have not seen Oteil with the Mule (yet - stay tuned). I did see Alan Woody on bass before he passed with Govt Mule at Red Rocks - also with Chuck Leavell on keys. They were the opening act for the Allman Bros!!!! I think Warren played for like 4 hours that night.

I just think of that show when I need to feel blessed. :)

The stay tuned part: I believe the Mule is at Red Rocks again this summer so I will have to see who their bass player is. I can dream right?

Last edited:
If you loved Jon Gomm, and just in case you were on your phone and couldn't follow YT's right sidebar, then this one is so jaw dropping. This thread is "What are you listening to right now" - but some things need to be seen and heard. This acoustic piece is exactly that.

I know I said I was leaving the building with the lavishly side-burned E-guy a couple of hours ago, but I guess sharing amazing music and musicians is incredibly addictive. I have already found lots of great music on this thread that was new to me. So thanks @Budda for starting this. With the caliber of musicians around these parts I'm sure I will discover lot more ear candy here.

Last edited:
If you loved Jon Gomm, and just in case you were on your phone and couldn't follow YT's right sidebar, then this one is so jaw dropping. This thread is "What are you listening to right now" - but some things need to be seen and heard. This acoustic piece is exactly that.

I know I said I was leaving the building with the lavishly side-burned E-guy a couple of hours ago, but I guess sharing amazing music and musicians is incredibly addictive. I have already found lots of great music on this thread that was new to me. So thanks @Budda for starting this. With the caliber of musicians around these parts I'm sure I will discover lot more ear candy here.

such an amazing guitarist! pedal guru as well.
Cheers from Texas!
🤘:smileycat:🤘

Back
Top Bottom