What are you listening to right now?

The masses? So mob rule is the arbiter of good taste? Ok sure.

Don't worry the 2 below will barely register either.
So you don't believe the population in general matters as far as an opinion goes? Well, that's what pays the bills for a songwriter.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the Feat without Lowell, but then they released the stuff they did with Craig Fuller from Pure Prairie League in the late 80's and all was well with the world again. Still missed Lowell, but the music on those albums with Craig was transcendent. Saw them plenty and each show dropped my jaw.

So you don't believe the population in general matters as far as an opinion goes? Well, that's what pays the bills for a songwriter.
I don't really listen to music because it is popular. I happen to like some music that also happens to be popular. But I do not like it more or less because of it's popularity. I like it more or less depending on melody, composition and musical virtuosity. As a musician that studied music those elements are important to me for my personal engagement and enjoyment.

Most of the stuff I like would melt most people's brains. Too many notes, odd time signatures, too many chords or key changes, syncopation ... the average person will run for the door covering their ears. Ever been to a Dream Theater show? How many of the audience members would you guess are technical musicians? (Hint a sh*t ton of them). Would the average Swifty know who the hell John Petrucci is? Or how about Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson? Most people would have no clue.

Yet those guys still live in mansions with big bank accounts. In the Modern Music Industry tours pay the bills. If someone wants to come see you play and you can fill a big enough venue you will earn. Even a smaller venue ~500 seats at $15 a seat (to the band) is still $7500 a night, 50 nights a year = $375,000/year. Now double it and do 100 nights/year. Chump change right? That doesn't even include merch sales. There's more than one way to skin that kitty and there's bands and artists doing exactly that level that most people have never heard of.

I don't really listen to music because it is popular. I happen to like some music that also happens to be popular. But I do not like it more or less because of it's popularity. I like it more or less depending on melody, composition and musical virtuosity. As a musician that studied music those elements are important to me for my personal engagement and enjoyment.

Most of the stuff I like would melt most people's brains. Too many notes, odd time signatures, too many chords or key changes, syncopation ... the average person will run for the door covering their ears. Ever been to a Dream Theater show? How many of the audience members would you guess are technical musicians? (Hint a sh*t ton of them). Would the average Swifty know who the hell John Petrucci is? Or how about Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson? Most people would have no clue.

Yet those guys still live in mansions with big bank accounts. In the Modern Music Industry tours pay the bills. If someone wants to come see you play and you can fill a big enough venue you will earn. Even a smaller venue ~500 seats at $15 a seat (to the band) is still $7500 a night, 50 nights a year = $375,000/year. Now double it and do 100 nights/year. Chump change right? That doesn't even include merch sales. There's more than one way to skin that kitty and there's bands and artists doing exactly that level that most people have never heard of.
But yet you're taking a comment about a song and blowing it up until you're writing essays about it.

All I'm saying is that the general public seems to disagree with your opinion and that's where commercial success, or in your case a lack thereof, is a useful tool. Are there hidden gems of songs out there? Sure. But in general, charts are a useful tool to judge popular acceptance. I simply brought up commercial success b/c there's really no other objective way to respond to a difference of opinion on a song. Seems lots of people would disagree with you.

BTW, Tusk fairly recently made quire a bit more in $$$ for the awesome opening scene from The Americans:

Last edited:
Having OD'd on the SuperMac lineup I've been enjoying Bob Welch era Mac for a while now. Here's a fav from the "Mystery To Me" album (how they arrived at this album cover is a true mystery lol!):

I love 'Hypnotize'!

FM is definitely an interesting backstory. Lot's of bands swap out members, but this bunch just went a whole 'nother direction. Here's a little something entertaining for you:

I love 'Hypnotize'!

FM is definitely an interesting backstory. Lot's of bands swap out members, but this bunch just went a whole 'nother direction. Here's a little something entertaining for you:

That's funny - true though - can't think of
too many bands that took as many right turns. I'm also a fan of Bob Welch's solo stuff. Here's a live performance that oozes 70s:

All I'm saying is that the general public seems to disagree with your opinion and that's were commercial success, or in your case a lack thereof, is a useful tool.
I already eviscerated that argument. There are artists with impressive commercial success (high 6 to low 7 figures a year) that the general public knows nothing about - they will never "Chart". So are you actually saying the "Charts" are a useful tool to determine what music appeals to the masses? (Gotta throw in a giant duh here). I was making the point from the beginning that the music that appeals to the masses isn't always the best music from a musical perspective (melody, composition, virtuostic performance, etc.).

Now to my final point (on this one):
or in your case a lack thereof
It was a good lively conversation up to now. But whenever a debate degrades to an opponent throwing personal insults at you, then you have already exhausted their capacity to make a cogent argument. So enjoy Tusk like you said many people do. Like I said many people enjoy Taylor Swift and Madonna.

Or lets go slightly further: Many people loved Milli Vanilli too. So by your logic that makes them better than people who could actually sing, compose and perform music. Got it.

See that's how you do it - and I didn't even need to throw a single personal insult your way!

Last edited:
Having OD'd on the SuperMac lineup I've been enjoying Bob Welch era Mac for a while now. Here's a fav from the "Mystery To Me" album (how they arrived at this album cover is a true mystery lol!):

Our band covers this one! Awesome tune!

I wasn't sure how I felt about the Feat without Lowell, but then they released the stuff they did with Craig Fuller from Pure Prairie League in the late 80's and all was well with the world again. Still missed Lowell, but the music on those albums with Craig was transcendent. Saw them plenty and each show dropped my jaw.

Hah, that was really fun, old school or not!
Big Feat fan, missed that whole incarnation of them somehow.

Yeah that‘s a really kickin song I posted that a while back I love it also a big little feat fan. I’ve been trying to learn the beginning intro but I’m not so sure it’s going to happen lol.

The 2 album titles are "Let It Roll" and "Representing the Mambo". Then Craig left to do other stuff. But they reunited for several tours in the late 90's and early 2000's. I saw them a bunch of times in that time period around SoCal. They used to play the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano (great venue!) a lot in those days. They played Vegas a lot too back then.

We were there for a weekend to see them. Next night I saw Paul and Kenny at a blackjack table at Caesar's Palace but I didn't want to be one of those people that interrupted their game. No one else seemed to know who they were. I waited for a little bit hoping to join the table but no seats opened up in time. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife!) wanted to go see Blue Man Group - which was very cool. But I would have rather had the memory of playing Blackjack with Kenny and Paul. Shhhh don't tell my wife!

Yeah that‘s a really kickin song I posted that a while back I love it also a big little feat fan. I’ve been trying to learn the beginning intro but I’m not so sure it’s going to happen lol.
Yeah my chicken picken skills are abysmal so I could never pull it off. But if I were gonna try I would start someplace like here:

I already eviscerated that argument. There are artists with impressive commercial success (high 6 to low 7 figures a year) that the general public knows nothing about - they will never "Chart". So are you actually saying the "Charts" are a useful tool to determine what music appeals to the masses? (Gotta throw in a giant duh here). I was making the point from the beginning that the music that appeals to the masses isn't always the best music from a musical perspective (melody, composition, virtuostic performance, etc.).

Now to my final point (on this one):

It was a good lively conversation up to now. But whenever a debate degrades to an opponent throwing personal insults at you, then you have already exhausted their capacity to make a cogent argument. So enjoy Tusk like you said many people do. Like I said many people enjoy Taylor Swift and Madonna.

Or lets go slightly further: Many people loved Milli Vanilli too. So by your logic that makes them better than people who could actually sing, compose and perform music. Got it.

See that's how you do it - and I didn't even need to throw a single personal insult your way!
Are you deranged? How have I insulted you? I just stated facts and have been respectful this whole time.

The whole point was to address your (admitted) dissing of Tusk. You can't simply admit there is a difference of opinion. My point is that if you're going to do that to a very commercially successful song, then you're fighting a very uphill battle.

Seems like you were triggered by my stating that FM beat 'em to the punch. You then made misleading statements about the recording of Tusk, etc, etc.

All I'm saying is that the general public seems to disagree with your opinion and that's where commercial success, or in your case a lack thereof, ...
I guess you meant "in Thank You Scientist's case" - you stated it poorly but fair enough I rescind my accusation. The rest I'll let stand as is.

I'm going to listen to some Milli Vanilli now.
:sunglasses:

Back
Top Bottom