Wanted: Amps to Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way don`t you guys that have some these amps..make a tone match of them ??
I don`t get it. We got the tools

Applying eq doesn't make a new amp.

I'm really wishing for some good, swirly, juicy low/medium gain thingys. Different power stage breakup characters than what's already there. Been posted before, but here we go again: :)

Yes, I have one...

View attachment 12873

Cliff, I have a completely electronically original (except tubes and caps, of course) 1964 Fender Super Reverb amp. I'd love to share it with the community, but had a few questions. Can you do the modeling with just the head? The lion's share of shipping this dude is going to be in the mega-heavy cab and speakers. The speakers are Super Reverb speakers, but from a 69 and 72 I think.

If you need the whole thing, I will see what it costs. Radley also has one about the same vintage, but not sure where his is at the moment.

PM me, I would seriously like to contribute to the amp "gene pool," and I think the Super is an oddly obvious Fender that isn't there.

What an honor it would be to have your amp in the Axe!
That alone is worth the shipping costs.
Where are all those people now willing to send in their amps in previous threads...?

It seems to me Cliff was asking for actual propositions...?

Instead we get:
- yet another wishlist...
- people urging others to send in but not even proposing to pay for it... (except for one or two exceptions)
- people not getting the spirit of the thread and proposing bass amps of all things...?? :p (Well, maybe here's your chance, so be damn quick. At 2 days per amp [maybe longer for SS] I wouldn't think Cliff is gonna do 20)
- ppl proposing to send in pedals
- people that don't have a clue, shooting the whole idea down...

Anything good come out of this yet...?

I'd say: make actual propositions and/or calls for others to contribute.

And how is Cliff going to elegantly solve this when not considering the amp unique enough? Pay nothing, half, all shipping? Or will he decide up front?

I'm really wishing for some good, swirly, juicy low/medium gain thingys. Different power stage breakup characters than what's already there. Been posted before, but here we go again: :)

I did some due diligence with regards to this Amp and contacted Adam (owner) at Tungsten and facilitated an introduction between him and Cliff. I left the ball in their court a couple weeks ago. I am not sure with everyone’s busy schedules that they have had time to discuss anything or come to any agreements but at least a dialog has been started. Time will tell. Adam has a sweet line of amps there at Tungsten and at least seemed open to supplying schematics with the proper NDA in place. So I guess we shall see…

View attachment 12873

Cliff, I have a completely electronically original (except tubes and caps, of course) 1964 Fender Super Reverb amp. I'd love to share it with the community, but had a few questions. Can you do the modeling with just the head? The lion's share of shipping this dude is going to be in the mega-heavy cab and speakers. The speakers are Super Reverb speakers, but from a 69 and 72 I think.

If you need the whole thing, I will see what it costs. Radley also has one about the same vintage, but not sure where his is at the moment.

PM me, I would seriously like to contribute to the amp "gene pool," and I think the Super is an oddly obvious Fender that isn't there.

It's preferable to just have the head.

However... the Super Reverb is really just a 50W version of a Twin Reverb with different speakers. I bet you could get really close by shooting an IR of the cab and using the Twin Reverb model. Maybe a Tone Match after to clean things up, if necessary.

I left him an email but have yet to receive a reply.

I had some questions too.

Does the modeling by Fractal consist of any disassembly of the amp? Or is any measuring done inline without temporarily removing any components?

And for maintence, when I ship tube amps, I remove the amp chassis from the cabinet and remove the tubes, bubble wrap all, and send only the chassis and tubes not the cabinet. I'm assuming that would be okay but just wanted to clarify.

Richard

View attachment 12873

I also have a Blackface Super Reverb that I'd be willing to pull out of the cabinet. My general thought is "yes, I've got some amps people might want, but shipping 2x is expensive these days and I'm interested to see who's willing to split shipping on what amps."

Other amps that I have that would be worth modeling. ToneKing Metropolitan, Carr Rambler, Ampeg Gemini II (one of best clean sounds ever....really), Ampeg Super Echo Twin (Frampton tone anyone?), BF Princeton Reverb (different than Princetons modeled already which are Tweed and non-reverb = less gain), awesome sounding 58 Tweed Deluxe, Gibson GA? 5 or 6 (can't remember, but it's like Tweed Deluxe, but gainy as hell and drives beautifully).

I'd pull any of these to ship, but if people want any of them in there, anyone willing to throw in on shipping?

I'd throw in on someone else's BF Super happily also and possibly others that I haven't seen named yet. Even as I say this I'm not feeling a lack of great amps in the Axe now. Between tone matching and the amazing sounds of 7, it's hard to see what's not already possible. V7 completely blew my mind again yesterday as I heard some of the best tone I've ever heard come out of anyone's rig ever...and there it was coming out of mine. Nothing fancy either. Same patches I've been running, just gain reset and amp refreshed. Basic Fender stuff. Twin sounds incredibly huge now and absolutely amazing with drive pedal into it.

It's an amazing time to own an Axe II.

Kind of wondering the same thing on the Super Reverb- I've always though the 4x10 speakers and cab are what really give it it's sound compared to something like a Pro Reverb (closer in power output to the SR than a Twin, but more or less the same). I have a '64 Super Reverb as well.. great amps. I would assume a good IR is what we need, as Cliff suggested.

Honestly, there's more than enough to work with in the Axe for me at this point. I'm not opposed to more amps though- really liking the /13 that was added for FW7.

^+1

I'm more looking for amps that are popular but aren't well represented in the Axe. Like old Tweed Fenders, Gibsons, etc. Also maybe something like an Engl. Not really interested in amps that are basically clones. There are a gazillion "boutique" amps out there that are nothing more than Plexi clones.

MikeyB59: that's what I'm talking about. That 58 Tweed and that Gibson would be great.

Cliff,

I have Several and I am willing to do them one at a time. How long do you need them as I have records to make!

Here is the List:

Bad Cat Lynx 50
Bad Cat Lil 15
Carr Slant 6V (w/5881's)
Carr Mercury
Wizard Modern Classic 2
Wizard MTL 100 (Both Wizards are updated and maintained by Rick himself for me)
Naylor Dual Drive 60 (This one is a favorite of the whole lot!)
Silvertone 1484 in perfect condition

vAmp...don't you have anything better to do? Jeez H. Christ-on-a-crutch, you are a frigging wet blanket! Just sayin'...did mommy pull you off the boobie too soon or something?

What an honor it would be to have your amp in the Axe!
That alone is worth the shipping costs.
Where are all those people now willing to send in their amps in previous threads...?

It seems to me Cliff was asking for actual propositions...?

Instead we get:
- yet another wishlist...
- people urging others to send in but not even proposing to pay for it... (except for one or two exceptions)
- people not getting the spirit of the thread and proposing bass amps of all things...?? :p (Well, maybe here's your chance, so be damn quick. At 2 days per amp [maybe longer for SS] I wouldn't think Cliff is gonna do 20)
- ppl proposing to send in pedals
- people that don't have a clue, shooting the whole idea down...

Anything good come out of this yet...?

I'd say: make actual propositions and/or calls for others to contribute.

And how is Cliff going to elegantly solve this when not considering the amp unique enough? Pay nothing, half, all shipping? Or will he decide up front?

Edit: and FWIW, SWR Redhead original can be hand delivered to/from FAS factory if needed.

I also have a Blackface Super Reverb that I'd be willing to pull out of the cabinet. My general thought is "yes, I've got some amps people might want, but shipping 2x is expensive these days and I'm interested to see who's willing to split shipping on what amps."

Other amps that I have that would be worth modeling. ToneKing Metropolitan, Carr Rambler, Ampeg Gemini II (one of best clean sounds ever....really), Ampeg Super Echo Twin (Frampton tone anyone?), BF Princeton Reverb (different than Princetons modeled already which are Tweed and non-reverb = less gain), awesome sounding 58 Tweed Deluxe, Gibson GA? 5 or 6 (can't remember, but it's like Tweed Deluxe, but gainy as hell and drives beautifully).

I'd pull any of these to ship, but if people want any of them in there, anyone willing to throw in on shipping?

I'd throw in on someone else's BF Super happily also and possibly others that I haven't seen named yet. Even as I say this I'm not feeling a lack of great amps in the Axe now. Between tone matching and the amazing sounds of 7, it's hard to see what's not already possible. V7 completely blew my mind again yesterday as I heard some of the best tone I've ever heard come out of anyone's rig ever...and there it was coming out of mine. Nothing fancy either. Same patches I've been running, just gain reset and amp refreshed. Basic Fender stuff. Twin sounds incredibly huge now and absolutely amazing with drive pedal into it.

I'd be willing to contribute towards shipping for the '58 Deluxe, the Ampeg, and/or the Gibson.

Last edited:
^+1

I'm more looking for amps that are popular but aren't well represented in the Axe. Like old Tweed Fenders, Gibsons, etc. Also maybe something like an Engl. Not really interested in amps that are basically clones. There are a gazillion "boutique" amps out there that are nothing more than Plexi clones.

MikeyB59: that's what I'm talking about. That 58 Tweed and that Gibson would be great.

Well, Cliff's interested in the Tweed Deluxe and similar era Gibson. It looks like Deaj is willing to throw in something for shipping on those 2. Anyone else? I can pack and ship them Friday. Fortunately those are the 2 smallest of the potential amps I have and should go in one box. I'll PM Cliff to make sure he wants them, but I'll just plan on shipping them Friday and sort the details later.

After they're modeled, people will probably want to send me $ in suitcases just for the sounds;-) A guy can dream....

I´d definitely second the Super Reverb and the Carr Rambler - 2 of my absolutely favorite amps in the world. The Rambler is a unique amp that is Blackface voiced with a hint of tweet - it made me sell my vintage Fenders without regret.
Also the Gibsons and tweets would definitely be cool to have in the Axe II.

I'll chip in towards the shipping if you set up something with Cliff about modeling the Rambler, Super Reverb, Tweet Deluxe and Gibson - I hope other will chip in as well.

I have a bunch of cool amps, but live in Europe so the shipping cost would be prohibitive. It would be cheaper for Cliff to fly over here and model my herd and other amps I can borrow - I made Cliff a standing offer to this effect.

I'd probably be willing to ship my '66 Supro Thunderbolt if anyone is interested, but I'd need to get it serviced first. I think it needs the tube sockets replaced--gets a nasty buzz after it's cranked for a while.

Plus, the speaker isn't original. It already had a 15" Jensen Concert in it when I first became acquainted with it in 1973.

That's the only amp i've still got.

ATT Cliff:

Would you consider setting up a "donate account" where those of us that would consider donating towards the cost of shipping interesting amps from forum members to you to model.
I propose this so that the forum members could unite in sponsoring the shipping cost, instead of the individual amp owners having to both provide the amp, risk it been damaged in shipping and having to pay for the shipping.
Since we´ll all (including FAS) benefit from members willing to loan and ship their amps, I think it would only be fair if we contribute in covering the cost.
Just a thought - what do you think ???
RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom